Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
theoutdoorguy

TICKS!

16 posts in this topic

T'is the season for them .....think they will be bad this year .....heard stories of people & dogs that were covered in them already !

Yeah, not good!  I had one crawl up my pant leg last week standing on a buddy's lawn. Hopefully they aren't bad at my usual turkey hunting spot!

I read last week that forty percent of the tics in the Hamilton area infested with the bacteria that causes Lyme disease.

Edited by Botchegalupe

They are getting bad this year, even in the niagara falls area many people are getting them

1 hour ago, theoutdoorguy said:

when turkey hunting what can you do to have a fighting chance against them

The best defense for hunters is spraying your  clothes/gear with a permethrin spray.

Can't buy it for human use in Canada, but TSC stores sells a spray called Ultra Shield for horses that contains the same % of permethrin as sold in the U.S. for human use.

I sprayed all my outer camo clothes & gear with it last year before the turkey season, and no ticks.

Did it again in the fall before archery deer season started - no ticks.

Just had all the gear hung out last week and doused everything to get ready for this spring's hunt.

Supposed to last for 7-9 weeks before you need to reapply.

Had 2 on me at my sisters on Sunday and 1 on there dog they will be bad this year do what you can to keep them off of you

I found a spray at the tsc store online and it contains this  Contains 0.05 % Pyrethrin, 0.5 % Piperonyl Butoxide & 0.1 % Permethrin

is that friendly for humane use and what did your ultra spry have

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎17 at 9:31 PM, genec said:

The best defense for hunters is spraying your  clothes/gear with a permethrin spray.

Can't buy it for human use in Canada, but TSC stores sells a spray called Ultra Shield for horses that contains the same % of permethrin as sold in the U.S. for human use.

I sprayed all my outer camo clothes & gear with it last year before the turkey season, and no ticks.

Did it again in the fall before archery deer season started - no ticks.

Just had all the gear hung out last week and doused everything to get ready for this spring's hunt.

Supposed to last for 7-9 weeks before you need to reapply.

Ultra Shield says 0.5% permethrin.

I don

t spray it on myself, just my outer camo layer and backpack, fanny pack.

Edited by genec

Do not spray yourself or pets with permethrin products...it is very toxic when applied to the skin!!!!!

Apply to clothing in a well ventilated area and do not put clothing on until completely dry....then it is safe to wear.

The first time I tried it was after turkey hunting when I had lots of ticks. After the spray dried I shook the clothing out and two dead ticks fell out of a pocket.

Never had a tick on me after that.

smerchly likes this

Damn...out twice for turkey and no ticks and go golfing yesterday and wake up to find one latched onto my neck. I hate those things.