A Fisherman's guide to how barometric pressure affects fish and fishing

Tony Scavo

Have you ever caught fish like an all-star one day and bombed the next, even though you were using the same tactics and fishing the same area? You're not alone. It's a common and often frustrating fact of life on the water. But what makes a red-hot bite turn to ice? Truth be told, many factors may contribute to the malaise. Fishing pressure, boat traffic and weather-related changes in the water conditions can all cause forage species and predators to alter their locations and behavior, causing a productive fishing pattern to fall apart faster than you can say, "Should have been here yesterday." Everything in the water either sinks, floats to the surface or suspends. Few of us angles give it much thought, but a change in barometric pressure is to a small degree like a change in gravity. Plus, because objects weigh less in the water, the affect of a pressure change is far more pronounced beneath the surface than above. Here's how it works. In simple terms, barometric pressure or atmospheric pressure is the weight of the air pressing down upon us. A 1-inch-square column of air, measured from sea level to the top of the atmosphere, would weigh about 14.7 pounds. Multiply that by the surface of your favorite fishing hole and you've got serious pressure. Changes in pressure can ignite major shifts in fish behavior. Understanding all the science is the key to playing this wild card to your advantage.

1. Barometric Reading, 2. Weather Forecast, 3. Fish Behavior,

Over 30.20

1. Rising or steady, 2. Continued fair, 3. Some activity, particularly deep and in cover.

Slowly falling, stable weather, Little change.

Falling fast, Warmer and cloudy, Activity picks up, fish may move shallower.

29.80 to 30.20

Rising or steady, No change soon, Consistent bite.

Slowly falling, Minor to no change, Activity may pick-up.

Falling fast, storms likely, Heavy feeding shallow, away from cover.

Under 29.80

Rising or steady, Clear and cool, Fair, may hold deep, and in or near cover.

Slowly falling, Precipitation likely, Increased activity likely.

Falling fast, Storms likely, Heavy feeding shallow, away from cover.

Hope this info help the boy's out on the water. :dunno:

T>Scavo

Tony: Thanks for the info. I've watched my fish in the tank for years. Check the weather and pressure and watch the buggers. On a high pressure day they are active in the morning and evening. On a low pressure day, they move around and up to the surface and back down. Yes the barometric pressure means alot to fishing. Always look at this when fishing. It is not the only thing that affects fish but plays a huge role in there behaviour. Time of year, where you are fishing, structure all play into this. Nothing like a pre front feeding freenzy. Thanks for the info. :)

Good fishing. Scottydog

Guest BoSmith

Over 30.20

1. Rising or steady, 2. Continued fair, 3. Some activity, particularly deep and in cover.

29.80 to 30.20

Under 29.80

Sorry, Maybe I missed something, but what units are you using there for the 30.20, 29.80 and so on? Is that temp? Thanks

Bo

Over 30.20

29.80 to 30.20

Under 29.80

Sorry, Maybe I missed something, but what units are you using there for the 30.20, 29.80 and so on? Is that temp? Thanks

Bo

Bo that's the Barometric Reading.

T>Scavo

Guest BoSmith

Yeah, I tried PSI to KPA but that didn't seem to be it. I figured it would be easier to ask for the unit rather than keep guessing conversions.

Thanks

I think you need the conversion from inchesof mercury to kpa. Go to the Weather Network Site and on the left hand side you'll see a conversions tab. FYI 30.20 = 102.27kpa, 29.8 = 100.91kpa.

Hope this helps

Read this on another site a couple of days ago and from a guy called Vansella last year ice fishing. it holds true about 85% to 90% of the time. You can almost feel it in the air when the fish shut down.

Just like this last week of weather with the Nor/easter storm. With the winds coming in from the north east and barometric pressure low, its not even worth putting the line in the water. The same happens on Lake Erie in the summer while drifting. If the breezes are from the north or east its usually a trying day.

Thanks Tony for the reminder,

Last year, I took note and observe barometric pressure change and temparature change within few days before I go fishing, I also tends to take note of day and night temparature variant change as well.

Knowing more info on Barometric and temp changes does not necessarily affect my once-a-week limited fishing schedule, but it does help me lower my expectation when conditions seem not to be on my favor.

Consistancy in weather temp within past few days and within daytime and night time(+ or - 6 degrees) seems to allow me to catch more fish. Any huge changes seemed to shut off the fish.

I also notice that fishing is good when perch, sunfish or rock bass are also active, but when these smaller species fish stop biting, fishing for larger ones tends to be slow as well.

Archived