Fishing / Hiking Gps

DaveC

Im looking to get a hand held gps that would suit using on my drift boat or for hiking and marking locations with tracking ability. Whats everyone else use or like? Thanks!

If you have an iphone a navionics app is available four 14.99

Also the same app is available on a ipad but it is 54.99

Curious if the app shows all the tribs including georgian bay, huron and erie? Im not looking for exact details just if im drifting be able to mark places and use so im not lost or missed my haul out spot? The only other concern would be if my phone went for a swim and its difficulty to view with any sunlight.

I have used on erie and ontario niagara river with pretty good detail some detail on grand river good detail on the kawarthas

it will track and mark points on water or on land even if there there is no cell coverage

there is a waterproof case available for 120 bucks ,but you will have to tie a huge bobber to float it

there is difficulty to view in sunlight.In extreme situations you can put a jacket over your head and phone

Ha....I have the same prob. with pocket cameras.....sunlight & dark screen . The old rangefinders were better to get pictures in the bright sun . The people who do geocacheing should have good info on using gps on trails and water . Hunters now use Etrex , but also carry a compass ...just in case !

Yeh Dan Andrews had mentioned one that he uses for geocache treks. I had a megallan that was good but i sold it awhile back. I guesz you really cant go wrong with garmin and they are water proof and float. Im leaning towards the etrek 20. Im sure navionics works just great but my luck my phone will be in the drink.

I have an etrex 10 by Garmin and it is a good unit with limitations, slow in very cold weather like ice fishing, and the toggle is too sensitive, there is no mapping but is an accurate dependable unit. I bought it from Mountain Equipment about a year ago for $100.00,no bells and whistles but gets me back to my spot ,it is also easy on batteries Dave

Thanks, the garmin etrex 20 it is. On sale right now, and i think it should suit my need.

My etrex20 arrived tonight looks like some figuring out to do...maybe a couple of zig zag walks to the store to test it out. I was looking at the Garmin site in particular the Ontario Inland lakes sd card. Has anyone tried this?? $120 had better be pretty good. Im wondering if the details include the inland rivers as well??

Archived