Never Trust The Safety! Winchester Sxp

Frank81

I've read about this before. Something to do with a bent firing pin. The pin stays above the flat of the bolt so when you jack a shell into the chamber the pin has nowhere to go but into the primer.

Scary stuff.

Winchester issued the following recall:

"Winchester Repeating Arms has discovered that a limited number of SXP (3½-inch chamber) shotguns (also called the Super X Pump) may, under certain circumstances, unintentionally discharge while closing the action. Failure to return any affected shotguns for inspection and/or repair may create a risk of harm, including serious personal injury or death.

"If you own one of the following firearms, please immediately contact our Winchester Consumer Administrative Center to find out if your firearm is affected and should be returned. Please be prepared to provide the serial number of your firearm."

Guns listed under the recall include are the Waterfowl Hunter (26- or 28-inch barrel), Black Shadow (26- or 28-inch barrel), Turkey Hunter (24-inch barrel) and Long Beard (24-inch barrel).

Do not load or fire any of these guns. For more information call 1-800-945-5372 or email sxp@winchesterguns.com.

Bent or broken firing pin will do this. We used to (rarely) see this with the FN C1. When it happened all you could do is have the presence of mind to keep it pointed downrange as the rifle would go full auto til the mag was empty or it jammed.

A cardinal rule of firearms is to ALWAYS assume it is loaded and ready to fire.

Firing pin too long? Or sticking out because of the breech components?

If the hammer was releasing then a function test would catch a faulty sear, trigger assy or hammer.

for sure thats why i cant believe these guns made the shelf somebody is getting a bit sloppy at there job. don't know haw many of these faulty guns

are out there but let's just hope that people remember there training and gun safety and no one should be hurt or worse till they get a handle on this

I wonder where these guns were assembled? I bought a super x 2 auto loader. a few years ago because it had the same action as the browning and was also made in the same plant in Belgium.

Archived