homemade ice fishing hut

basskicker09

My brother and his friend used an old truck cap for the roof - no drips, durable and build-in windows/vents.

The only downside is weight. I guess it depends on how you plan on moving it around.

Be sure to post some pics of your completed hut!

Cheers,

Eric

The prefect design is one that meets your specific needs and budget. Design your own!

Here is something I am starting to build to fit into my pick up(I am trying to build this for as cheap as possibe, I have only had to purchase one sheet of plywood the rest has been free) I am not sure how i am exactly going to do it. I would like it to have collapsable walls, so it it will be easier driving down the road also to keep it as light as possible. I also have old cross country skis that it will ride on. I am not sure of the hole locations yet (Let me hear some of your thoughts. ) I will try to posts post pics as I progress

ice hut

ice hut 2

Here's my Sugar Shack :D

Floor is 4' x 8' x 1/2" which has a 2"x2" frame for keeping it light , a 10" hole cut in all 4 corners , lots of room for 2 people .

Ends are also 1/2" plywood . Skis are 5" hardwood mounted to 4"x4" blocks to elevate in deeper snow . I made up steel tips bent like a ski & attached them to the skis .....added some plastic ice carpet with staples ......pulls easily .

Tarp is a common 9'x12' but is too small if the hut is higher than 5' ....go to the next size up if you want to go 6' high .Tarp is fastened with eye screws through the grommets . This hut folds up & fits easily iside my van ....if I go 6' high , I must take 1 bench seat out (no prob.) I might buy a canvas tarp this year , they use them for covering furnitures etc .when painting.These blue poly tarps are crap .... ( I'll check the hut first to see if it's worthy of another winter) ...if not , I might buy a nice portable. :lol:

HUT.JPG

Here's my Sugar Shack :D

Floor is 4' x 8' x 1/2" which has a 2"x2" frame for keeping it light , a 10" hole cut in all 4 corners , lots of room for 2 people .

Ends are also 1/2" plywood . Skis are 5" hardwood mounted to 4"x4" blocks to elevate in deeper snow . I made up steel tips bent like a ski & attached them to the skis .....added some plastic ice carpet with staples ......pulls easily .

Tarp is a common 9'x12' but is too small if the hut is higher than 5' ....go to the next size up if you want to go 6' high .Tarp is fastened with eye screws through the grommets . This hut folds up & fits easily iside my van ....if I go 6' high , I must take 1 bench seat out (no prob.) I might buy a canvas tarp this year , they use them for covering furnitures etc .when painting.These blue poly tarps are crap .... ( I'll check the hut first to see if it's worthy of another winter) ...if not , I might buy a nice portable. :lol:

HUT.JPG

Very good idea but canvas really absorbs water unless you put like a wax or resistor on it of some sort on it. I recommend using that thicker clear plastic material they use for walls after the tar paper is put on ..........I can't remember the name right now. Or you can now buy some really heavy tarps that are awesome. When we were driving to Marquette Michigan even though the edges of the cheap blue tarps were bungied down over our fieldkitchen the edges of the tarp frayed and pieces of the tarp were flying off we didn't notice till we got to a trucker stop and half the tarp was gone. These heavier tarps can be really heavy but they last very long and they are completely waterproof.

was determined to build a cute little ice hut but after drawing up countless plans (some very clever if i may say so myself) i finally figured out that it was cheaper to by an eastman ice-cube. got one on sale for cheeeaaapp and well worth it.

was determined to build a cute little ice hut but after drawing up countless plans (some very clever if i may say so myself) i finally figured out that it was cheaper to by an eastman ice-cube. got one on sale for cheeeaaapp and well worth it.

Think you're right Ola . If you add up all the costs of new wood, plus all the hardware (9 hinges) , & buying new tarps every year , a good portable hut isn't nuch more money & a lot lighter.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived