Support Our Sport - Post On Bps

BCLT

Hey everyone,

As you may be aware, bow hunting is a massive sport in some areas. Bow hunters all too often shoot hundreds of fish leaving them for dead and unfortunately associate common carps, with Asian, silver or bighead carp when this is actually not true. I have personally been fly fishing for them on the st Lawrence river in my boat and had a platform boy boat run up beside me and start shooting fish I was targeting. This is not cool.

Bass Pro Shops is supporting a 100K top prize bow hunt and we need to express our concerns. Right now there is a movement happening where carp anglers from around the world are posting pictures of their biggest or favorite fish to the Bass Pro Shop facebook page with a few words about CPR (Catch, photo release) - now is your turn. If you have liked the page, its as easy as posting to their wall..........if not, go like the page. There are hundreds of posts on there now so even if you don't care to get involved, go check out the amazing fish people posted and read a bit on the passion we all share for these fish!

Shawn

I don't do Facebook , and can't find info on Bass Pro Canada about it . Is this an American issue ? Where else can I find out about the bow hunt ?

....went to Peter's today , bought a carp catapult & a bottle of pineapple scent .... :Gonefishing:

x2 cant find it

I read some stuff about shooting carp on another fishing board .....seems it is legal in many places , and no limits on how many carcasses can be left to rot somewhere .......Now they have taken the "sport" to new heights ....by shooting them underwater with bows wearing scuba tanks . I wonder if the same can be done for muskie , bass , walleye , pike , etc....at least some would probably be eaten .

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/underwater-bowfishing-check/

I read some stuff about shooting carp on another fishing board .....seems it is legal in many places , and no limits on how many carcasses can be left to rot somewhere .......Now they have taken the "sport" to new heights ....by shooting them underwater with bows wearing scuba tanks . I wonder if the same can be done for muskie , bass , walleye , pike , etc....at least some would probably be eaten .

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/underwater-bowfishing-check/

I rather C. and R. on a rod but in a sense that looked kinda neet

I rather C. and R. on a rod but in a sense that looked kinda neet

Gunner I'm a hunter as well...and a carp angler

Please remember these guys are shooting these fish and throwing them in the garbage. Goes against everything I've ever known as an ethical hunter and as a c&r carp angler it kills me to see it

They key things to consider are

A) these guys that are shooting carp, are primarily wasting them

B) They associate Asian carp, bighead and silvers all as carp and directly related to the common carp which is NOT the case.

C) They say the common carp cannot be managed which is false

D) They along side of Bass Pro support the killing of tonnes upon tonnes of fish each year simply because!

E) The message is not educated and misinforms many including children then learn that killing is acceptable before even having a solid understanding of what is rational

It is not that carp anglers are asking to ban it........its that they are asking to be mindful of the waters, the anglers, the fish, the resources and habitat simply because there are negative impacts to killing thousands of fish and dumping them on the bank. Which unfortunately is all too often the case. Most pics bowfishers post are carp with arrows through them, pouring out blood and or sitting among piles of other fish.

Didn't mean to offend anyone i a'm well aware of the ethics of fishing and hunting i simply meant by the shooting under the water i didn't think it could be done i guess i failed to say

that and i am well aware of what they do with the fish. I fish for carp as well just because i said the vid was [kinda] neat don't mean i support it .I never take the life of a fish or animal

that i would not eat.

Ya, it may be legal and I suppose that's that. But just because you can do something doesn't me you should do it.

I never said i would do it even if it is legal

Didn't mean to offend anyone i a'm well aware of the ethics of fishing and hunting i simply meant by the shooting under the water i didn't think it could be done i guess i failed to say

that and i am well aware of what they do with the fish. I fish for carp as well just because i said the vid was [kinda] neat don't mean i support it .I never take the life of a fish or animal

that i would not eat.

I never said i would do it even if it is legal

No problemo Gunner, I definately wasn't directing that at your post.

I think we know that carp fishing has developed into a major past time for thousands of anglers , world wide . Serious carp anglers take pride in handling their fish gently and use special mats and nets to land them & weight them to release them in good health ....for the next angler to catch . It would be nice to see all game fish handled the same way . Bass Pro should check into how popular carp fishing has become . It may be in their favour to keep the carp anglers in their "good books" , or lose a very sizable number of customers ..... :)

Smerch, unfortunately, we are not a sizable number of customers to bass pro. Especially as compared to bowfishers.

I know what you mean ,....maybe not many shooters in Canada but carp fishing is increasing . Our local tackle shops have special sections for carp gear & even C.Tire has got in on the carp gear this season . Many carp fishermen also fish for other species and hunt as well and buy boats ,etc. If B.P. wants to ignore this , it 's up the the carp anglers to let them know ....don't forget the social media is enormous now and one picture tells a thousand words . And , of course there are those groups who don't hunt or fish and would give Bass Pro some free advertising ....

...just a note.....if our mnr thinks it's ok to kill carp with a bow & leave them to stink & rot .....I will lose a LOT of respect for them and their rules.....and I might add , if we seniors are forced to buy licenses to fish .....I will "see no evil " ..... but will still pick up fishing line left by the doofus ones .

...just a note.....if our mnr thinks it's ok to kill carp with a bow & leave them to stink & rot .....I will lose a LOT of respect for them and their rules.....

Expecially ironic when you consider how much care many carp anglers take when handling caught fish. Unhooking mats, antibiotic applications to lips and wounds, etc.

I'm about a month shy of 65, bowhunting and spearing carp was legal during my teens, believe the months of May and June ( the spawn ) was when you could do it. Carp were to be eliminated as a destroyer of habitat back then, uprooting vegetation and created turbid water . Pike could also be speared in March as I recall, we ate the pike and the carp helped grow good tomatoes. I still think carp are legal but pike are no longer.

I'm about a month shy of 65, bowhunting and spearing carp was legal during my teens, believe the months of May and June ( the spawn ) was when you could do it. Carp were to be eliminated as a destroyer of habitat back then, uprooting vegetation and created turbid water . Pike could also be speared in March as I recall, we ate the pike and the carp helped grow good tomatoes. I still think carp are legal but pike are no longer.

Atleast then the carp were still being used for some sort of good. I know for the Asian carp that are a big problem south of here they are hunted and netted in large number and are made into animal feed and fertilizers

Who cares they are nasty carp...glorified goldfish or ugly koi lol

I laugh when i see those guys with the nets and pouring water on them hahahaha they're carp... nasty carp who live in mud and eat poop ...literally eat poop ..... its so funny when people jump on a fad like 'prestigious carp fishing' lol poop eaters. Theyre kinda fun to catch i guess....but i dont touch carp they freakin stink like garbage and poop (u are what u eat) they get the boot back in the water. What grosses me out more is when u see people eating them... nasty.

Go to Europe for a carp dinner & be prepared to dole out some serious cash for the meal ....or you can buy some Tilapia at the supermarket and enjoy a fish'n chip dinner . From what I've read about Tilapia (in China), they are fed from chickens dropping their crap from coops directly above .

....from Snopes .....

Similarly, an October 2012 Bloombergarticle observed that the FDA had rejected 820 Chinese seafood shipments since 2007, including 187 that contained tilapia, and furnished examples of the practice of using manure as feed for farmed fish in China:
At Chen Qiang's tilapia farm in Yangjiang city in China's Guangdong province, which borders Hong Kong, Chen feeds fish partly with feces from hundreds of pigs and geese. That practice is dangerous for American consumers, says Michael Doyle, director of the University of Georgia’s Center for Food Safety.

"The manure the Chinese use to feed fish is frequently contaminated with microbes like salmonella," says Doyle, who has studied foodborne diseases in China.

On a sweltering, overcast day in August, the smell of excrement is overpowering. After seeing dead fish on the surface, Chen, 45, wades barefoot into his murky pond to open a pipe that adds fresh water from a nearby canal. Exporters buy his fish to sell to U.S. companies.

Yang Shuiquan, chairman of a government-sponsored tilapia aquaculture association in Lianjiang, 200 kilometers from Yangjiang, says he discourages using feces as food because it contaminates water and makes fish more susceptible to diseases. He says a growing number of Guangdong farmers adopt that practice anyway because of fierce competition.

"Many farmers have switched to feces and have stopped using commercial feed," he said .
Farmed carp is now becoming a popular fish dinner in the U.S. where fish farms are producing both carp & tilapia. Farming fish is a cheaper alternative to raising beef and has larger profit margins .
no matter what the name of our fish , I treat them with care ......including the gobies which are "dispatched" quickly and fed to the other critters for their fish dinner ..... :Gonefishing:

Who cares they are nasty carp...glorified goldfish or ugly koi lol kill em all

I laugh when i see those guys with the nets and pouring water on them hahahaha they're carp... nasty carp who live in mud and eat poop ...literally eat poop ..... its so funny when people jump on a fad like 'prestigious carp fishing' lol poop eaters. Theyre kinda fun to catch i guess....but i dont touch carp they freakin stink like garbage and poop (u are what u eat) they get the boot back in the water. What grosses me out more is when u see people eating them... nasty.

Actually, your prime fish in the supermarkets and many a restaurant are all bottom feeders. Catfish, cod, sole, halibut, etc....

Who cares they are nasty carp...glorified goldfish or ugly koi lol kill em all

so because they're ugly, in your opinion, and smell bad, and are inedible, kill em all? what's wrong with you?

Jimmy ......we feed our carp corn .....they become nice and plump like corn fed chickens ....and yes some have bad breath , but have you smelled a pig lately ? :unsure:

I hesitate to even write this...

There is a reason why the MRN allows bow fishing of common carp. Carp are actually a non-native and invasive species. Not that different from gobies other than the fact that they are such fantastic fighters. I am a carp angler and a enjoy the sport but I have also participated in bow fishing as well. Any carp I have shot have not been just left on the bank though. I would use them to fertilize a garden or use them as cut bait for catfish. There are numerous studies that have shown that Common carp can have a detrimental effect on local native fish populations. Carp rooting around the lake bed can stir up and muddy the water which can effect the habitat of native fish that require a higher quality of water to survive. Carp also do not fully digest the plant food they eat. When it passes their system it results in an increase in weed growth which can choke out a body of water which is detrimental to native fish that require open water habitats to thrive. Carp also eat the eggs of native game fish, the same game fish eggs that anglers get up in arms about being placed at risk when anglers target OOS fish while they spawn or protect beds. The bottom line is, that carp aren't native. Non native fish can upset the natural balance of a local eco system. Bow fishing is a tool to help control the population of the species. While it may not seem ethical to shoot and kill these fish without the intent to eat them it can actually serve to help the population and health of native fish.

Just something to think about...

Carp are not native but neither are many of our game fish, ie brown trout. And other game fish can thrive and live quiet contently with carp as we see in the Grand River, Kawartha Lakes, St. Lawerence, etc.

I think a lot of time habitat degradation, such as we have in Cootes Paradise, is more a result of Man's over development and miss-use than the common carp. Carp are protrayed as the villains while we continue to develop along the shorelines, dump sewage into these systems, etc.

Archived