Lake Scugog Walley Closure

riggs

I can see a restocking of walleye in the next 2 years like the used to do. I had a permanant hut on scugog for 25 years but gave it up 10 years ago cause it got really slow.. My licence was LN2554 . Used to catch huge numbers but i never took more than 2 for a meal.

Golden Lake was shut down for 5 years I believe , and when it reopened for walleye fishing , about 2007 , they had a slot size and a 2 fish limit . .....and Nipissing followed that example . We may see the same thing happened with Scugog , and maybe other Kawartha Lakes as well .

I grew up fishing this lake, my dad and I used to troll on the east side of the island launching out of Scugog Island marina, this is nearly 20 years ago and we used to catch walleye by the dozen trolling silver rebels. This lake today is not the ideal habitat for walleye, you can't boat anywhere on the lake where the surface is clear of the Milfoil weeds. It is a man made lake and it's basically a swamp now. The water is boiling hot in the summer...there's not enough depth....I remember you could fish off the Port Perry Downtown Pier and fish in about 4 feet of water, it's now maybe 2 feet at the most.

Archived