Car /Deer collision

smerchly

Did the driver live after that one ? A neighbour knocked on my door last week & handed me a nice venison loin . He hit a fawn with his pickup truck which sits very high from the road . Two adult deer ran in front of him & the tiny fawn followed .......Damage to the truck was a bent licence plate. This fawn was very small for the this time of the season......tender vittles .

At work I drive a hino truck, which is one of those things where the cab is right over top of the front axle. with a flat front end. We get work up north occasionally, and that damn windshield is the perfect height for a moose body to come smashing through it in the event of a collision. With no real hood, so to speak, I have no doubt that it would be the perfect death truck if we smoked one going down the highway. Or any other road for that matter.

At work I drive a hino truck, which is one of those things where the cab is right over top of the front axle. with a flat front end. We get work up north occasionally, and that damn windshield is the perfect height for a moose body to come smashing through it in the event of a collision. With no real hood, so to speak, I have no doubt that it would be the perfect death truck if we smoked one going down the highway. Or any other road for that matter.

My dad drives truck in the US, scapulataf, and those kinds of trucks, down there, are called cab overs. Any of the truck drivers on here know that, I'm sure. But I've been told as long as I can remember, there's only one truth to those rigs. "You're always the first to arrive at the accident."

My dad drives truck in the US, scapulataf, and those kinds of trucks, down there, are called cab overs. Any of the truck drivers on here know that, I'm sure. But I've been told as long as I can remember, there's only one truth to those rigs. "You're always the first to arrive at the accident."

They're called that here too. But a lot of people I've run in to have no idea what "cab over" means until I explain it to them.

Also, thats a good line. I should use that some time.

Ok I have only 3 personal stories to tell about swerving for an animal. 2 don't have a good outcome.

I came across the scene of an accident up north where a woman swerved to miss a fox....right into the path of a minvan full of kids coming back from a hockey game. Luckily only a few of the kids received a few broken bones. The mother driving the minivan unfortunaltely had both legs and pelvis crushed and spent quite a bit of time in Sunnybrook recovering.

The second story involved my younger brother, a detective constable for OPP. In 2005 he hit 2 moose within a month on roads he was VERY familiar with. The first accident he hurt his thumb because the light bar on the roof helped deflet the moose and prevent the roof from caving in.

The second moose he must have never seen coming....was in his ford Taurus crime car and it put the roof and widshield into the back seat without touching the hood on the way through.

My brother is now in a chair for the rest of his life and has no hand movement.

The third animal I was driving an F150 home at night down an secondary highway (posted 80 doing 95) when a black lab ran out in front of me. I saw it last minute..let off on the gas and struck the animal. Unfortunately it wasn't killed instantly and the owner came out and destroyed it. ( I brought a lab pup to the owner the next day because he had kids)

Bottom line...is you never know whats in the oncoming lane....if you survive the accident and kill a kid....could you live with yourself??? I know I couldn't!!

• 1 month later...

Another double fatality yesterday on hwy17 near North Bay . A Honda hit a moose killing both people in the car . Hunters going north , keep a sharp eye on the sidelines while driving . We have had moose run right down the centre line in front of us while going moose hunting ......seemed funny at the time ,but if a car had been coming around the bend it could have been a disaster .

WEST NIPISSING — Ontario Provincial Police are investigating a crash that killed two people Saturday night at about 8 p.m. on Highway 17 near Jocko Point Road.

Edward McGirr, 88, of North Bay, was driving east when he struck a moose, sending his Honda into a ditch on the south side of the highway.

McGirr was killed instantly.

His passenger, Beth Coxford, 79, of North Bay, died of her injuries at West Nipissing General Hospital.

Technical traffic investigators are also investigating.

as a truck driver, I can give one piece of advice that everyone should take in and remember. we are forced to drive through the night on more occasions than we drive through the day, so we have lots of experiance and encounters with wildlife. if there's some advice I can give, it is this..................watch carefully for what Deer and Moose are doing. if they have their heads down, generally you don't have anything to worry about, no matter how close they are to the road. if they are watching you, or looking around with their heads up, then you have something to worry about, because they can bolt at any moment. if you know you are going to hit an animal and there's no avoidance, the best thing you can do is to let off the gas and coast right into the animal while gently braking if possible. never should you try and steer away from, or around an animal. if it comes to another person, self preservation generally takes effect and it becomes "live or let live". in that case, human nature is to look out for yourself before someone else. in truck training, we are taught to hit anything (animal/person) head on, especially if you've done nothing wrong and it's unavoidable. yes, it's going to be hard to live with killing another person, but if you are not at fault and was unavoidable, then that decision is easier to live with. we are also taught to keep another vehicle on the scene of the accident at any cost, especially if they are the cause of the accident.........if you hit my truck, I'm gonna make sure your vehicle is disabled enough that you aren't going to leave the scene of the accident. why do we do this?.............because 90% of truck accidents are caused by four wheelers (cars) and in 90% of those accidents, the cars take off and the trucker gets charged. it's a little different if the cause is your own fault and you end up causing all kinds of trouble because of your actions. in the case of the woman on highway 3, I'm guessing the officers on scene are wll aware that soemthing isn't quite on the up and up, so charges have been laid accordingly.

Archived