Canoe in Martindale Pond

Helron

I am sure someone here can tell me where we can launch the Canoe in Martindale pond?

Also if you take the road into Henley Island park on the right just after the bridge and you can launch it there.

I know I wouldn't take a boat up by the 406. I've walked from Glendale to the footbridge by the 406, and the entire way is too swift for almost any boat. Maybe the whirlpool jetboats could get through it. Might want to try chartering them?

Thats good :( I know up by the old Niagara college it is pretty swift, I wil try and head up Saturday and check it out. Trust me I don't take unnessary risks not worth it was just thinking of trolling up a bit and drifting back down.

Good luck if you're trolling in the swift current. I was down there today, by the Glendale bridge. even with two ounces of lead on my line, I had to cast at a 45 upstream to get the hook to touch bottom roughly straight out from me. And that's with the water slowed down. I understand they're opening the dam back up tonight.

if you launch at the Henley Island bridge, you can paddle up about as far as the old train tressle foundations before it starts getting rough. we used to do that quite regularly as kids and there's a whole bunch of great fishing spots up that way. we used to paddle up to the tressle and fish various spots along the way, then once we reached the tressle, we would simply float back with the current and troll the whole way back............it's a great way to fish and you never know what you might catch while trolling.

there's two spots at the Henley Island bridge..............a small spot on the right, which is a pain in the butt to launch a canoe from, but doable. the other one is on the same side, but about 50 feet further along the shore. it's a longer, more open shoreline spot and better to launch from.

Rich

you will enjoy that day out, for sure. look for the bay and a small backwater pool behind McDonalds and pay special attention to it. there are Bass and Pike Gallore in those two spots..............some real big ones too. be careful targetting Pike though, cause I've seen them big enough in there, that they could cause you problems in a canoe. there's some monster Perch in that stretch of water and there's several schools of Perch and Bass around that train tressle. under the QEW bridge can hold some schools of fish also, so it's worth spending a bit of time in that location too. behind my friend's drving range, there's a lot of Bass and Carp, so check out that location if you can get into it. I can guarantee one thing though, once you do it once, you'll go back again and again. it's a lot of fun. just watch the wind direction and the barometer the day you go out. if the wind is anything other than South, West, or a combo of the two, the bite will be pretty much dead. also, if a cold front has gone through within a few days, the bit will be dead too and it's a lot of work to not catch anything. :(

Rich

Archived