Anybody catch this episode?

pike007

I recently watched a show from Janurary Italo fishing trout or salmon down under niagara falls ...found this very interesting.

Anybody catch the episode.

Caught the episode yesterday morning, some very nich fish were landed. Dont know the area other then he wasnt that FAR from the falls. Looked like he was working a side pocket away from the main current, also looked like a place to be VERY careful where you step. One wrong move and you go off the ledge? he was standing on. No I didnt run out and buy the type of spinner he was using-- maybe later ;)

Guest fishstick

I understand that maybe it made for a good episode, but I don't think it would be promoting safe fishing by all means.

What if a few youngsters saw this and hiked down to give it a try? If one of them fell in and drowned, there would be a huge uproar if it was linked to what they saw on TV.

Besides, aren't certain parts close to the Falls off limits for the public due to safety reasons? Was there any part that showed how he accessed this area?

Anyone?

its prolly the maid of the mist area which last I heard it was supposed to be off limits due to the large problem of pollution from those who dont pick up after themselves.

Guest bigfish1965

Kids have been fishing the lower river forever. The Whirlpool. Pebbly, Maid of the Mist...it's all dangerous. Fishing is the most dangerous sport in Canada. No matter where you are a lack of respect for the water will move Darwin along a little further.

Guest BrownBomber

I saw that episode and it looked like he was VERY close to the Falls. The rocks didn't look too safe either. He caught some nice fish though!

Yes he was fishing the maid of the mist. When I worked there quite a few people fished it for bass during the summer. The problem began once a lot of people started showing up during the middle of the day with all the tourists around and people began opening the gate at the top to get down and soon there would be a bunch of people all hanging around down there while the big delivery trucks were trying to drop of merchandise. My boss was always getting me to kick the people out. A little later two kids went down on bikes and wiped on the hydro road and suied the hydro company and now they let no one acess the road due to liability. Well this summer the maid of the mist put a large gate at the bottom and anyone who crosses it the security basically kicks out. I tried all summer to get down but after being kicked out 3 or 4 times off the road I gave up. So basically summed up another good fishing spot lost due to a holes. Garbage was also another issue.

One thing i like about Bob Izumi is that hes always wearing his life jacket...he never takes it off during his shows and when he is in current or a dangerous water he always has it on.

Italo on the other hand didnot have it on during this perticular episode. He definetly didnot set a good example for his young viewers.

I also think he had special premition to film an episode in that spot.

I fished that exact spot last year. You guys hit it on the head you are no longer allowed to fish down there. Me and my buddy got luckey last year and made it down without any problems. Some guy pulled over on our way down and told us that we were not allowed to fish down there but security never showed up. we hopped over a fence and walked/climbed down the hill. The area is well signed at the top that public is tresspassing so I would not chance it again. Italo must know someone that allowes him to go down there. And I agree everyplace in the niagara is not very safe to fish. That spot is no worse then anyother spot in the niagara except queenston. On his show it just lookes worse because of the falls in the background but you can fish all sorts of spots in the pool that are just as bad or every worse than that spot.

Backwoods

One thing i like about Bob Izumi is that hes always wearing his life jacket...he never takes it off during his shows and when he is in current or a dangerous water he always has it on.

Italo on the other hand didnot have it on during this perticular episode. He definetly didnot set a good example for his young viewers.

I also think he had special premition to film an episode in that spot.

Actually, Italo does wear a PFD. He has talked about it many tmes, it is like a fanny pack that you pull to inflate. Not that it would do you much good if you were knocked out.

Guest bigfish1965

Actually, Italo does wear a PFD. He has talked about it many tmes, it is like a fanny pack that you pull to inflate. Not that it would do you much good if you were knocked out.

And they were fishing from SHORE! I've never seen anyone on TV fish from shore with a PFD. I wear an inflator...put a PFD?? Not from shore...never. Only a few of the PFD's out there can save you if you are uncounscious. IF you are knocked out and floating down the lower river...you are fish food no matter what you wear.

And they were fishing from SHORE! I've never seen anyone on TV fish from shore with a PFD. I wear an inflator...put a PFD?? Not from shore...never. Only a few of the PFD's out there can save you if you are uncounscious. IF you are knocked out and floating down the lower river...you are fish food no matter what you wear.

Is an inflator not a PFD?

Ya thats why most PFD's keep your neck and head above water, so if you do get knocked out you still got a chance. If they don't keep your head above water what good are they?

Kids have been fishing the lower river forever. The Whirlpool. Pebbly, Maid of the Mist...it's all dangerous. Fishing is the most dangerous sport in Canada. No matter where you are a lack of respect for the water will move Darwin along a little further.

Hey Bigfish, just don't say fishing is the most dangerous sport in Canada. THAT'S NOT TRUE.

Archived