Whirlpool Jet boat on the Niagara river

Guest chromdome

Guest chromdome

As many of you no doubt know, the Jet boat is coming up for re-leasing at a canadian dock. This boat, with its noise and turbulence, has done a lot to diminish the Niagara river fishing experience. More indirectly, there is strong evidence for erosion and harm to wildlife over the years since this boat has been operating. There seemed to be a sharp increase in Jet boat activity starting 3-4 years ago, and corresponding to this there has been a lot of serious erosion/landslides in the Art Park area far greater than any erosion noted in years prior to this. Its doubtful to me that this is just a coincidence.

At a public hearing I attended on this re-leasing at Niagara-on-the-Lake, many other points were brought out in opposition to the Jet boat. Much of this occurred in comments by members of the Niagara River Coalition (niagararivercoalition.org). Damage at marinas from the Jet boat wake and a possible tie in between the decline in bass, walleye, muskies and their spawning, were among some of the topics discussed.

If you would be interested in learning more about this issue goto niagararivercoalition.org. You may even want to submit comments to Mayor Borroughs of NOTL and the town council who will be deciding later this summer on whether to approve the re-leasing.

Isn't it strange that they're bulldozing through watercress beds and ecologically sensitive areas to widen the road to the dock at the same time their lease is up for renewal? Wouldn't you think they would wait for the outcome before spending the $$$. How do they get away with it? If any of us were to damage the shores of the Niagara Gorge we'd likely be hung for it. My opinion is that they already know the outcome of the lease renewal, and that somebody is "lubricating" the process in the time-honoured way. Let's see if the protesters make any progress, and I urge you all to become part of the voice. I think I read somewhere that those things are apparently the most eco-destructive thrill-rides in the world, but who cares when so much $$$ is changing hands??? Me for one.

niagararivercoalition.org

I'll have to check this one out when I get time.

Joe you've got a point. I never knewe about the road widening over the watercress. That area hold migratory birds year round due to the continuous water flow. I can't believe the NPCA or the NPC would approve such a move!

Me and the boys watched them on Fathars Day. They nearly washed some kids off the rocks in the whirpool.

Dan

We would see robins all winter in that watercress ! When we went smelt fishing there about 6 wks.ago , I noticed the piles of dirt blocking access to the road which people used to get spring water for many years . Now I know what the dirt-gravel was for . The bottom line here is , money talks , even at the expense of the environment .

Where exactly are you guys talking about?

Tom.....have you not seen people at the sand docks at Queenston getting spring water over the many past years ? Many Americans would take large bottles of water from there.......but I heard that after a heavy rain , the ministry found traces of choliform bacteria , possibly from septics above the cliff and I never relied on that source for water .This is where they want to dock the jet boats.

Guest Sprint

Chilli

the link to the Niagara River Coalition is actually a "pretty good read" thanks for sharing I enjoyed the reading and am now better informed... check it out

Al

These jet boats are both a nuisance and an eyesore and they do not belong on the river.Over the years they will have a serious negative impact on life in the river. At present , the only things that the operators and governments see are profits until people make noise and wake them up.

Believe you me, if you will make noise and have facts to back it up, you can get govt. to listen. Noise and bad PR means a loss of votes and more work for the politician. Fire off a note our two to your alderman, mayor and mpp. You have everything to lose in silence.

Yes when money is on the table, things have a way of slipping through.

Bruce I agree with what your saying however most of us don't have the

facts to back up our viewpoint.

Just like the towers in Port D, there may be a delay, but because of the

money it will go through.

I am surprised the qaint little village of Queenston isn't fighting this. The people there have been against development for years to keep it quiet the way it is. The sand hills area was a good fishing area for generations but it looks now that the new jet boat docks won't allow fishermen in. For those who like winter steelhead fishing, it looks as if the large limestone blocks put in place also takes away trailer maneuvering room. Good fishing areas are lost yearly to the all mighty dollar. These boats tearing up and down the Niagara is against everything NOTL and Queenston represents. An environmental assessment might be the only way of slowing them down.

Guest chromdome

I thought I'd put in a post yesterday but it seems to have disappeared. Anyway, I'm really encouraged, thrilled actually, by all the posters on here that have responded to my initial thread in a positive way. And some of you have educated me to even more ways the Jet boat operation is causing damage to the Niagara gorge. Also you've had some really good thoughts and opinions. But for any action against this nuisance to take place you must let the authorities know how you feel. To do this, send an email to the Lord Mayor Burroughs of Niagara on the Lake as follows:

Send To: gburroughs@notl.org

also, if you can, in the same email send a copy to all of the following copy holders which will add considerably to the clout of your message.

collard@niagara.com, dennisjdi@hotmail.com, tflynn@notl.org, rnhowse@niagara.com, AKaiser-Nelson@notl.org, qgc77@hotmail.com, martin.mazza@sympatico.ca, manager@niagaraonthelake.com, admin@niagaraonthelake.com, notleditorial@cogeco.net, kreid@stcatharinesstandard.ca, EChau@niagarathisweek.com

If you need help in doing this please feel free to contact me. I would suggest you get going on this as soon as possible.

I am surprised the qaint little village of Queenston isn't fighting this.

Why do you think it has been approved yet.

There has been a lot of articles in the local newspaper (Niagara Advance, queenston and NOTL)

there has been a few close door meeting that council wont disgust with the locals,

Ive have saw the shoreline erode ever since the Jboats started, and I get a comment that its a natural process of the river erosion.

Ive be soaked by the waves the ass drives cause, and dont care about the safety of the shoreline fishermen.

I just hate the jet boats, if you cant tell. :blahblah1:

Guest chromdome
Why do you think it has been approved yet.

There has been a lot of articles in the local newspaper (Niagara Advance, queenston and NOTL)

there has been a few close door meeting that council wont disgust with the locals,

Ive have saw the shoreline erode ever since the Jboats started, and I get a comment that its a natural process of the river erosion.

Ive be soaked by the waves the ass drives cause, and dont care about the safety of the shoreline fishermen.

I just hate the jet boats, if you cant tell. :blahblah1:

OK, my friend, now you can do something about it. In the post above yours I give the key email addresses you need to write to give your opinion. I think you make some excellent points much the same as others make. SO your post is a great start towards an email to those addresses.

Guest rowbag

I was fishing on May 26th, 2007 in the Whirlpool. There were three of us along the log run where the spring water and rain water trickles into the whirlpool. All of us had waders on and we were having a great day until the yellow Mouton Boat #8 decided to do a turn around right in front of us. The wake was very scary and dangerous for all of us. The boat was only 50 feet from us. I can't believe the government would allow such a reckless, dangerous, unnecessary and harmful spin in the water. Queenston should not allow the docking of the boats as we have lost alot of accessable nature to the almighty dollar already. The blocking of the access road with cement bricks was suppose to be because the road was unsafe but we all know now why it is blocked. Under that watercress that grows abundantly through the spring water is also a small crustacean that is just dynamite for bass fishing in the summer. It is a shame what is going on down there and what will be lost due the small foothold the Jet Boats now hold in Queenston and what just might get larger and larger. The Brown Trout already have lost the number one spawning ground in Lake Ontario where the dock in presently located in Niagara On The Lake. Oh well, enough is enough. All have a great summer trying to fish somewhere else again!

Roebag, if the boat was that close and may have put you and others at risk, I would suggest that you write down the particulars and report the incident to the Coast Guard. If the vessel operator has put people at risk there are serious consequences which the C.G.,s can impose.

really it's not all that big of a surprize, they have used the "sand-docks" in past years for the jet-boats...if you look at advertising, there are 2 rates for going out for the day, has been for a couple years now...one from NOTL, and a discounted rate from Queenston..it's not really new news...perhaps it's just that they are planning to make it a little more official, and fixing up the dock area, and raod access if they where to expect alot of business from there.....as much as i don't like the boats either, I am sure they have a good arguement stating they have used the "sand-docks" in the past and no one had a beef with it then :blush:

Guest chromdome
really it's not all that big of a surprize, they have used the "sand-docks" in past years for the jet-boats...if you look at advertising, there are 2 rates for going out for the day, has been for a couple years now...one from NOTL, and a discounted rate from Queenston..it's not really new news...perhaps it's just that they are planning to make it a little more official, and fixing up the dock area, and raod access if they where to expect alot of business from there.....as much as i don't like the boats either, I am sure they have a good arguement stating they have used the "sand-docks" in the past and no one had a beef with it then :blush:

If it was just a matter of them continuing to use the docks just as they had before without any change or expansion to the docks or the surrounding environment then I agree that they still have an argument of sorts. But I believe it is not a good argument.

But that doesn't seem to be the case. It sounds like they are expanding the operation and destroying the local environment in the process. To me, there is no excuse or legitimate argument for that. I hope all of you opposing the Jet boat are planning on sending your comments to the addresses I gave in an earlier post. Also, I've been reminded that at this time of year a lot of the members do not come on the forum. So if you have any buddies who fit into this category, it might pay you to send them a message reminding them that there is a chance here for the beginnings of strong action against the Jet boat by opposing the re-leasing at Niagara on the Lake.

JWL, to the best of your knowledge, do fishermen still have the same accesses to water on the old sand docks as they have in the past. This area is being built up and it seems a matter of time until they don't allow fishing at the far north end of the dock. The Jetboats took over the public docks in NOTL and now there is no boat ramp there. Queenston will lose good shore fishing access over time with the new developtment.

Guest canadadude
JWL, to the best of your knowledge, do fishermen still have the same accesses to water on the old sand docks as they have in the past. This area is being built up and it seems a matter of time until they don't allow fishing at the far north end of the dock. The Jetboats took over the public docks in NOTL and now there is no boat ramp there. Queenston will lose good shore fishing access over time with the new developtment.

You can still fish the old sand docks and they were getting some nice perchies there a week ago not sure now :) Good Walleye fishing off there at night aswell!!!

Archived