• Rice Lake
    • Lovesick Lake
    • Canal Lake
    • Mitchell Lake
    • Clear Lake
    • little Bald Lake
    • Big Bald Lake
    • Katchewoonka Lake

Im starting this topic to see whats everyones opinion about the best lake for muskie fishing in the Kawarthas...

For me Pigeon lake gets my vote. Very weedy lake on the south end and lots of muskie.

Also if you like share with us your biggest muskie to date and the lake it was caught.

When I'm down that way I do most of my fishing in Buckhorn and I have pulled a 45" out of that lake on a #3 mepps spinner looking for a big bass. I am told from people up there that Pigeon is your best bet for the toothy monsters. I guess sometimes luck does work.

Guest canadadude

I choose Pigeon Mainlly because it's the only one I fished on for Muskie!!!! Not only is weedy and shallow in the South End it has some nice deeper rocky areas in the North End!! I've nailed quite a # of fish in the Upper 20's trolling around the "big Island" as well as in the Gannon Narrows!!! Thanksgiving Weekend and right through October seem to be the Best times!! Maybe not the largest fish in the Kawarthas but there sure is lots!!! My best day is 8 fish landed and a few misses and my partner got 4 that day!! So between the 2 of us we landed 12 Muskie and missed another 4!!! Thats pretty good fish'in and we are by no means Muskie Guru's, I've met dudes that have caught and released 20 fish in a day!!! Gotta love Pigeon lake on a crisp October day when the ski's are hitting B)

Sturgeon is where I see and catch the most musky while fishing for bass. Caught this guy last year on a white spinner bait. 15lbs on the handheld scale.

Biggest I've landed was on Buckhorn around 20 pounds flipping a weed line with a 5 inch power craw. (no camera of course)

Biggest I've had on was probably close to 30 pounds on Chemong on a spinnerbait. Scared the kids swimming close by when it jumped about 5 feet above the water. Came unbuttoned after a 4-5 minute fight.

Best Muskie story, Stoney lake when a 25-30 pounder decided it wanted to eat my trolling motor that was running on low. Scared the crap out of me when it hit, I though I had hit a rock(in 8 feet of water?) but saw the fish swim away.

I've never actually gone out with the intentions of catching a musky.(probably why I catch them all the time)

100_3365.JPG

Sturgeon is where I see and catch the most musky while fishing for bass. Caught this guy last year on a white spinner bait. 15lbs on the handheld scale.

Biggest I've landed was on Buckhorn around 20 pounds flipping a weed line with a 5 inch power craw. (no camera of course)

Biggest I've had on was probably close to 30 pounds on Chemong on a spinnerbait. Scared the kids swimming close by when it jumped about 5 feet above the water. Came unbuttoned after a 4-5 minute fight.

Best Muskie story, Stoney lake when a 25-30 pounder decided it wanted to eat my trolling motor that was running on low. Scared the crap out of me when it hit, I though I had hit a rock(in 8 feet of water?) but saw the fish swim away.

I've never actually gone out with the intentions of catching a musky.(probably why I catch them all the time)

100_3365.JPG

Great catch Tom ..glad you shared with us some adventures youve had over the years.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Muskie J&R
Im starting this topic to see whats everyones opinion about the best lake for muskie fishing in the Kawarthas...

For me Pigeon lake gets my vote. Very weedy lake on the south end and lots of muskie.

Also if you like share with us your biggest muskie to date and the lake it was caught.

My lady Robin and I have been fishing for Muskies in Lake Scugog since opening day. We have caught 1-12lb, 1-10 lb, 2-15 lb and 1-18 pound. Last year we went to Sturgeon lake and I caught a 25 lb 46 inch muskie in 19 feet of water. At the end of August we're heading to Pigeon lake and would like any advice on where to fish the illusive master of our lakes. We would also appreciate any ideas where to catch Walleye while we are there.

Thanks, JIm...

My lady Robin and I have been fishing for Muskies in Lake Scugog since opening day. We have caught 1-12lb, 1-10 lb, 2-15 lb and 1-18 pound. Last year we went to Sturgeon lake and I caught a 25 lb 46 inch muskie in 19 feet of water. At the end of August we're heading to Pigeon lake and would like any advice on where to fish the illusive master of our lakes. We would also appreciate any ideas where to catch Walleye while we are there.

Thanks, JIm...

I just got back from pigeon was up there for a week...never fished for muskie...but Im in the south end of the lake and caught 3 by mistake....lots of walleyes action this year...some same the best in 10 years on pigeon lots of big fish being caught and alot in numbers..largemouth fishing is also spectacular......the south end has alot of weed bays..i dont know to much about muskie fishing but my muskie were caught in 5-6 f.o.w....just using oranges spinnerbaits...

Guest Muskie J&R
I just got back from pigeon was up there for a week...never fished for muskie...but Im in the south end of the lake and caught 3 by mistake....lots of walleyes action this year...some same the best in 10 years on pigeon lots of big fish being caught and alot in numbers..largemouth fishing is also spectacular......the south end has alot of weed bays..i dont know to much about muskie fishing but my muskie were caught in 5-6 f.o.w....just using oranges spinnerbaits...

Thanks, 007, I will have to try the south end.

I have never fished for skis , but got a 10lb.one may yrs.ago when fishing for eyes at Deer Bay , near Buckhorn .We stayed at Beachwood Lodge where room & 3 meals a day cost us a whopping $7.50 per person ! (Ya,it was a long time ago) :lol: My second ski was just last week on the Welland R. ......it was a huge one ....went about 10 , maybe 12 ounces ! I remember fishing the Burnt R. near Kinmount , had this big fish on for 15 min.....thought I had a nice ski..............came up with a 20# carp ! :lol:

I have heard more about Pigeon L. lately .....many big skis being caught . My choice would be fishing any of the lakes listed here that would have the least traffic .

It has been a while but the memories are still keeping Buckhorn on my favorite list of places to fish.

My son Matt and I have enjoyed fishing for Musky on Upper Buckhorn anytime we've been on the lake. Usually we target them as a change from Largies during a week long stay. Always a blast, especially when you are tossing large white spinner baits for bass and get an acrobat.

As Johnny pointed out, you can't beat the success rate.

UpperMusky.jpg

UpperSmallie.jpg

Archived