Bonneville Dam Oregon Shore Ladder Fish Cam

crofeather

This is kind of an interesting site.

https://www.nwp.usace.army.mil/op/b/home.asp

"Welcome to Bonneville Dam!

"Located in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area 40 miles east of Portland, Ore., and Vancouver, Wash., Bonneville Lock and Dam spans the Columbia River and links the two states."

"The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers operates and maintains Bonneville Lock and Dam for hydropower production, fish and wildlife protection, recreation and navigation. Since 1938, Bonneville Dam has supplied the region with inexpensive electrical power. Today, we work with other federal, state, local agencies and Native American Tribes to accomplish our mission."

----

If you go to "Fish Count & Camera" you will be taken to a page that has the Bonneville Dam Fish Camera which automatically updates every minute during daylight hours. Mostly all you see is the front of the glass marked with 3 measurement lines (and looks like an empty aquarium :rolleyes: ) but every once in a while you will see pictures of the fish as they migrate through the ladder at Bonneville Dam's Oregon Shore counting station :lol: . Depending on the time of year you can catch glimpses of Chinook, Steelhead, Shad, Sockeye, Coho, Lamprey and other fish as they pass through this fish ladder on their way to their spawning grounds.

Of particular interest is the Adult Fish Counts Form.

https://www.nwp.usace.army.mil/op/fishdata/home.asp

It is a drop down selection chart where you can pick out daily, monthly, year to date or a running sum report and see how many and what kind of fish passed through the various Columbia River and Snake River Corps dams through different days and time periods. Very informative.

Now if we could just get this kind of thing at various sites in Canada it would be even more interesting....

Crofeather

Funny, was just talking about this last night at the swill. I used this as an example when I was lobbying to have a fish ladder put in Port D. The big developers liked it as did the Cities Rec department and the Ontario Hydro. We were alerted to 2 main reasons it wouldn't work though.

1: The upper 12 mile creek is the only cold water creek in Niagara and the threat of genetically breeding out the native trout was enough for the MNR and NPCA.

2: The Heywood Generating station in Port D is a basic turbine not designed with fish mortality in mind.

The ladder you posted I believe is the one that not only is combined with newer turbines that take fish mortality seriously but they have installed screens that divert the fish towards a spillway. This kind of expense is way beyond our Municipal Governments here in Niagara as the Heywood is owned and operated by the City.

The original reason I was given was that the rowing club didn't want big fish up there as they already have a carp problem. Well a little education about fish species and behaviour combined with an anual carp derby the week before a regatta would have solved that. Imagine someone thinking a ladder would create a problem with trout hitting the oars :rolleyes: . I wish

Dan

P.S. here's a direct link I hope. https://www.nwp.usace.army.mil/op/b/fishcam.asp

Archived