Tying Roe

knightfisher

I just finished tying about 50 roe bags. Started early this morning....na didn't start till noon ^_^

No expert by any means, but my bags catch me fish.

I was just wondering how you guys tie your bags. How many eggs do you put in, do you

use floats as well, and the colour of your bags.

I use anywhere from five to eight eggs, and some with and without floats.

Red and chartruse (sp) are the colours I use.

I tie my bags free hand, but know there are gagets you can buy to make things

easier. Anyone use these, and do they save time and make it easier ?

Just looking for some input.

:blink:

Free hand is the best and fastest way for me anyways. The size of bags always depends on where you are fishing. If I'm fishing Huron tribs I have tied bags as big as golf balls. Around here the bows always seem to like the smaller ones.

Guest canadadude

ok danny this is how I do it and I tie about 60 bags an hour somtimes more.........I use the Bait maker tying jig thingy $16.00 at petes ....I used to tie free hand till I found that sweet little gadget, I use spider thread 10 raps one way 10 raps with the tag end pull tight done :lol: ...for size right now in between nickle and dime size seems to be working, I got lots of roe so I don't go stingy, besides when bottom bouncing a nickle size roe bag will become dime size in a few drifts :blink: , as for those who don't like using Baitmaker and such tying machines good for you I've tied 600+ roe bags since Nov 4th and I thank the lord for my baitmaker everyday!!! Best $16.00 I invested this year :)^_^;)

I use the Spawnee tying machine. It is designed to use the rolls of Spawnee material but I just use the squares. Because Blackbird and MelNak are so popular it is difficult to find Spawnee. Blackbird has a couple of colours that MelNak doesn't so when I use it I just cut it into squares as well

I can do 50-60 bags in an hour. Usually tie 2 - 6 egg bags (salmon) depending on clarity.

Three egg is about the size of a dime. Four egg a nickel. Six egg about the size of a quarter.

Trout eggs as few as four up to about a dozen again depending on clarity.

When the water is gin, forget tying and boil up some singles.

Never fish really dirty water either. Fish are too scattered.

I don't bottom bounce. Strictly float so no styrofoam beads.

untitled.jpg

I like yarnies too but there is no replacement for the real thing. Boiled single looks just like a stray egg that has washed out of a redd. Nothing more natural than that!

Guest canadadude

I never count eggs when tying brown roe, but Roe Bag is pretty close on the salmon roe thing...I do pretty much the same except when the water is clear like that I go with yarn......to lazy to boil singles anymore :blink:^_^:lol:

Guest canadadude

oh ya that spawnee machine is great aswell used one for years......but now with the squares I use the baitmaker........hemmmmmmm now I'm thinking maybe my spawnee will work good with the squares, holy smokes this thread is confusing me :blink:^_^:lol:

That's the machine I have ....didn't know what it was called . I don't use the roll handle , only the square cloth ,even though I bought a roll of shock-pink , I just snip off a bunch of squares and use the slide wires. The spider wire sure savesa lot of time ,& yep , 10 times around ,snap off ! Next dime bag !!! :Gonefishing:

Guest canadadude

Really the spawnee or the Baitmaker do the same thing , they give you that third hand , so to speak, to hold the bag while you tie it off which is worth it's wait in gold when your tying lotsa of bags :worthy: .....one more thing that spider thread crap is another great invention for those of us who can't tie knots :Gonefishing:<_<

Guest fisherdie

Hey everyone,

I tie mine up using a homemade version of the baitmaker. No different just to cheap to buy it. The only difference is that I picked up a soldering iron and use that to seal my bags closed. I prep as many squares that I need for the trip then pop'em in the baitmaker shut the gates and just a quick touch with the iron and they're sealed up and excess bag is removed all in one shot. I think they end up with a more natural appearance in the end especially with smaller bag presentations. Also great for guys with big clumsy fingers like me. Can tie 3-4 dozen in 10 mins. I keep it in the truck just in case I run out I can tie some up quick, especially with chilly fingers on cold days.

Fish or die...

I gave up with the mesh, switched completely to scarfing. Make an 'OK' sign with your hand, poke the scarf into your palm like a magician hiding a handkerchief, add eggs, tie, move the scarf over. Cut the bags out when it becomes to cumbersome to handle the loose scarf. You can pump out a days worth of sacs in under an hour. The plus side, some tackle stores offer a reduced rate when you buy 12 scarves at a time. Cheers.

Hey everyone,

I tie mine up using a homemade version of the baitmaker. No different just to cheap to buy it. The only difference is that I picked up a soldering iron and use that to seal my bags closed. I prep as many squares that I need for the trip then pop'em in the baitmaker shut the gates and just a quick touch with the iron and they're sealed up and excess bag is removed all in one shot. I think they end up with a more natural appearance in the end especially with smaller bag presentations. Also great for guys with big clumsy fingers like me. Can tie 3-4 dozen in 10 mins. I keep it in the truck just in case I run out I can tie some up quick, especially with chilly fingers on cold days.

Fish or die...

First time I ever saw the Bait Maker a guy was giving a demonstration at a show in Toronto. He used a soldering gun to seal the bags.

I almost bought it but because I didn't own a soldering gun at the time, couldn't justify the expense.

So used to the Spawnee now, I'm just too old to change.

Great idea though and makes a really neat looking bag.

Guest fisherdie
First time I ever saw the Bait Maker a guy was giving a demonstration at a show in Toronto. He used a soldering gun to seal the bags.

I almost bought it but because I didn't own a soldering gun at the time, couldn't justify the expense.

So used to the Spawnee now, I'm just too old to change.

Great idea though and makes a really neat looking bag.

The soldering iron I have cost me $10 at Canadian Tire, looks more like a pen than an gun. Cheap is the key word, and it works.

Whatever floats your bag eh boys.

Guest canadadude

here's alittle trick I do to keep my roe from turning white!!!! I will take 20-30 roe bags put them in a margirene container and shake allitle Atlas cure on them, let them juice up and sit for around 30min and then dry them out on a paper towel or news paper and there ready to go :D ...I use the natural cure but pink works to it seems to stop the bags from turning white after a few drifts and I can drift a bag 10-15 drifts without a problem!!! :o:o

Anyone no the reason it turns so quickly?

If you're talking about turning white while you fish them, it is just the current washing the goodness out of the eggs. The stronger the current, the faster they will wash out.

Most guys today will only water harden eggs as a means of curing. These are great for slower drifts because they milk out and send a scent trail downstream ahead of the bait, to waiting fish. Gives them a little headsup that something good is coming down the pipe. In faster water fish are sight feeding. They see a potential snack and jump on it. If it's not food they'll spit it and try the next little tidbit.

If you usually fish fast water and you find them washing out quickly, leave them in whatever cure you are using a little longer. The shell membrane will toughen up and they won't milk out so quickly.

When a roe bag is picked up and the trout feels a bunch of floater balls in it's mouth , I wonder if they would spit it out pronto and you would never know . I've noticed some roe bags contain 4 or 5 float balls and they look a little lumpy ........not very natural .

When a roe bag is picked up and the trout feels a bunch of floater balls in it's mouth , I wonder if they would spit it out pronto and you would never know . I've noticed some roe bags contain 4 or 5 float balls and they look a little lumpy ........not very natural .

Caught a lot of fish on them lumpy roe bags back when I bottom bounced. Didn't seem to bother them much. Probably enough good stuff in there that they don't even notice the styrofoam balls. When they are active they will pickup anything and everything. Especially when they are competing with other fish. If it's not to their liking they'll just spit it and keep on searching.

Guest canadadude

Ussually when a troutie bites down on that roe bag it's like candy to them and they do chow down hard!! I got a few this year that were bitting like perch and had the whole bag in there bellies by the time I set hook :dunno: ......or maybe that was another one of those slow reaction mornings :lol:;) I don't use the floaties mainlly because I'm to lazy to add them to bags :P ....I know roe baggs don't have to perfectly round to work, in alot of cases roe breaks off the rocks in small chunks not single eggs and this is what the fish are grabbing especially true in the case of sucker spawn which in the spring can be a deadly bait!!! :o

• 4 years later...

Archived