Streamers

JFish

Hey guys,

Alright, this may sound like a dumb question to some but I see that as a good thing since you may be able to help both me and a few others. :blush:

I now know what a streamer is, finally, however, I do not know anything else about them. I'm just looking for a few tips.

What exactly can you catch with these things? I know that trout seem to like them but how about salmon or any other species (any specific colours)?

Also, how do you fish them (movement/action) and with what type of set up (rod/reel)??

I guess that will be good for now. Hopefully I will be able to pick some up and try them out this late winter/early spring.

Thanks to anyone who replies.

As far as I know...mostly steelies like them! Pink is a good colour and also white and black! You have to bottom bounce them with a 3 way swivel! Cast them at about 10 to 11 o'clock let them bounce bottom! As for rod and reel..everybody is different, myself I like my 12 foot shimano convergious and a spinning reel! I use 8 pound main line and sometimes six pound leader! I use split shots for weight, I find I get snagged to much with pencil weights! But everybody is different When you get some, let me know...and I will come to queenston and give you a few pointers, I am still learning but getting better!

Sure thing,

Should I go to Pete's or is there somewhere else you would recommend?

I remember people talking about dull/weak hooks from him.

As for the retrieve,

I actually was just looking at a website and it said to cast out, then let the streamer sink a bit and flow with the drift, then jerk it back up a bit, then let it sink a bit and continue those 3 steps. Not sure if this method would work on the niagara or does everybody fish streamers the same way on the niagara (bottom bounce)?

Thanks

Archived