Oil & carbon tax

smerchly

I don't know how they calculate these figures , but in yesterday's Sun they were astounded at these figures that said , in the next 10 yrs. China will need an "extra" 438 billion barrels of oil for their booming economy . I wonder how much oil that really is.......how many olympic swimming pools would that fill ? They also gave montrous figures on the amount of coal and food like grains and meat would be needed to sustain the population , and stated there would not be enough food to keep up . This oil is in addition to the present consumption ! And we haven't even added India to this figure ........These are mind boggling figures, and I have to question the figures. If these numbers are even half that , I can see why they are pushing a carbon tax on us which will dramatically push our energy costs through the roof including heating & hydro bills . Propaganda or truth ....who knows , but scary stuff to read ! :lol:

I saw a couple little news things over the last while, that stated the tax was going to be levied hard on industry, but give the average person a break....I am sure if big industry has to foot a big bill, there will be trickle effects on the price of products that we the average person pays for things though,we just really won't see a direct "tax" so to speak hit us that hard.

With China now suddenly being able to drive and move to the suburbs etc. there will be a huge consumerism forming with it causing a shortage of "cheap" goods will should drive up prices here. Same goes for oil. The smartest thing investors could do right now is start reinvesting in Canada and rebuilding our industrial sector.

If we're going to pay close to the same price anyway, why not build it here so not only are we employing our own workers again, but make goods under stricter environmental standard's.

We're all screwed though if that black stuff suddenly becomes scarce. Gas jumped 5 cents today in Fort Erie. $1.10/L

Yes Tommy death and taxes and oil makes it all go around until one meets the other.

If they want companies to use clean up their act, then force them to use the money that they would pay in tax to improve efficiencies. They are really double hurting companies, charging them tax money that leaves the company and telling them to spend more money to improve so they don't so much tax???

Man , I was low on the numbers (memory trick) :blink: I found the article & copied it . As I said , how can they calculate 10 yrs . in advance .....we could have a crash before that happens . :)

canoenet600.gif

March 9, 2008

Feeding China's boom

More building, more workers more demand for basic foods

By MALCOLM MORRISON, THE CANADIAN PRESS

invisible.gif <script type="text/javascript"> fctAdTag("bigbox",MyGenericTagVar,1); <script type="text/javascript" src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/can.en.smc.torontosun/money;tile=1;sz=300x250;dcopt=ist;pos=1;hp=0;ord=1569411758?">300_TestoCountblue.gif The Toronto stock market has made a pretty substantial recovery since the lows it plumbed Jan. 21, thanks in no small part to a jump in energy and mining stocks.

But while their gains are impressive, so are the surges seen in the so-called "soft" commodities that don't trade anywhere near the TSX -- items such as wheat, soybeans and corn.

"It's essentially for the same reasons that demand for copper and crude oil and aluminum and on and on and on is occurring," said Bob Tebbutt, vice-president at Peregrine Financial, pointing to the huge demand arising from emerging markets.

"It is staggering."

He points out that over the next 10 years, China alone will need an extra 438 billion barrels of crude oil, 600 million cubic metres of natural gas, 3.5 billion tonnes of steel, 50 million tonnes of copper, 60 million tonnes of aluminum -- "in addition to what they're already using."

And the country's greatly expanded workforce has to be fed, which has led to huge gains in the price of wheat and other grains.

There was already a stable portion of the population rich enough to afford food "but now that stable, rich population has just expanded by millions and millions of people in China and India. So all of a sudden we can't grow enough to meet them," Tebbutt said.

SUPPLY DECLINED

For example, wheat production in 2003-04 was 132 metric tonnes but has since dropped to 111 million.

"So not only has demand increased, the supply, in the case of wheat, has actually declined," he said.

He also points to a world oilseed harvest of 100 million tonnes in the late 1980s. "It's now 148 million metric tonnes, only up 48% and yet the Chinese have imported four times what they imported in 1987-88."

Tebbutt is a firm believer in buying the commodity, but ordinary investors should be aware that soft commodities are more difficult to invest in than equities.

Among the few options, investors can buy the commodity itself, get into some of the few mutual funds offering them or buy related stocks, like fertilizer companies.

Typically, you can buy a commodity through a brokerage, whether it's oil , grains or any of the multitude of items that make up the sector, for a deposit of about 5%.

Your minimum commitment would be 5,000 bushels. On Feb. 27, the price of wheat was $12.71 US a bushel, meaning a minimum investment there would be $63,550.

Aside from directly investing in the specific commodity, you could look at investing in big agricultural companies, such as Agrium (TSX:AGU) and Potash (TSX:POT).

Both have seen spectacular gains, with Agrium up about 92% over the past 52 weeks and Potash surging 174% in that time. A slightly different route is to choose an exchange-traded fund, one that represents a weighted grab bag of agriculturally weighted stocks -- for example, Claymore Investments Global Agriculture Exchange Traded Fund (TSX:COW).

"Now, they don't invest in soybeans or whatever, they invest in the companies that service soybeans like Agrium," said Adrian Mastracci, portfolio manager at KCM Wealth Management in Vancouver.

"It's sort of once-removed from the actual product."

SOFT COMMODITIES

Another ETF is PowerShares DB Commodity Index Tracking Fund (AMEX: DBC), which is traded like a stock on the American Stock Exchange and buys U.S. Treasury bills and posts them as collateral when buying commodity futures contracts.

Mastracci also suggests taking a look at the Green Haven Continuous Commodity Index (AMEX: GCC), which also trades over the American Stock Exchange.

"It follows the Reuters Continuous Commodity Index, which tracks 17 commodities, like corn, soybeans, cattle, hogs, gold, silver, platinum, copper, cotton, cocoa, OJ, stuff like that."

Mastracci thinks that within six months consumers will see more funds catering to those who want to ride the soft commodity boom, which is reckoned to last some time yet.

"If the argument goes that China needs all those hard commodities over the next 10 to 20 years, then they need food," Tebbutt said

I don't know how they calculate these figures , but in yesterday's Sun they were astounded at I can see why they are pushing a carbon tax on us which will dramatically push our energy costs through the roof including heating & hydro bills .

Very conservative figures there Bill. Lets expand it a bit, to show the reality of the situation.

Population of the earth 6.6 billion

With the wealth of the world enjoyed by about 1 billion.

China entering with 1.3 billion

India wanting the same with 1.1 billion

Of course there still is over 3 billion not mentioned

which have the same rights to the life style we are accustom to.

The figures mentioned are extremely low, compared to the reality

of the situation.

This carbon tax is just the tip of the iceberg, of things, yet to come.

As seen with the figures above, we Canadians don't know what it's

like to do without, but we're going to find out.

The middle class is slowly being eroded away.

The smartest thing investors could do right now is start reinvesting in Canada and rebuilding our industrial sector.

That's a nice dream.

However Canada sold most of it's national resources off back in the 60s.

One aspect of our natural resources, oil and coal, was sold off

by Canada in 1968 and as a result our petroleum and coal products industry

was 99% foreign owned back then.

You do know Canada no longer solely owns Petro Canada.

Alberta and Saskatchewan supply the US with over 15% of their oil supply.

That alone would supply ALL Canadians with all the oil and petro we would need.

But instead the States get our resource at a much lower cost then us Canadians

pay for the same resourse. That's the deal the American owners made with Canada.

They allow a few dollars to stay in Alberta, all the while destroying the lands, but the

investors/owners interests come first.

I can't see the owners/investors allowing Canadians to buy back our property. We

were foolish enough to give it away, and there are too many billions to be made yet,

to sell it back.

Yeah, Kanada is now committed to the global community....everybody owns us!

You got that right Tommy .....as I drive down the 407 "Spanish" hwy with a case of "Molson Canadian" :Gonefishing: owned by Germany ......etc etc etc.

Yesterday's paper showed a "smart car" :lol: filling up with diesel @ 1:23 per liter....it costs the owner an extra $8 to fill up ! Maybe they will downsize that car & put peddles on it :lol: But , as the price of diesel increases , everything we buy will cost more . As I have said before , I hope the price of imported products goes through the roof & we start making the goods here again .......

• 2 months later...
I don't know how they calculate these figures , but in yesterday's Sun they were astounded at these figures that said , in the next 10 yrs. China will need an "extra" 438 billion barrels of oil for their booming economy . I wonder how much oil that really is.......how many olympic swimming pools would that fill ? They also gave montrous figures on the amount of coal and food like grains and meat would be needed to sustain the population , and stated there would not be enough food to keep up . This oil is in addition to the present consumption ! And we haven't even added India to this figure ........These are mind boggling figures, and I have to question the figures. If these numbers are even half that , I can see why they are pushing a carbon tax on us which will dramatically push our energy costs through the roof including heating & hydro bills . Propaganda or truth ....who knows , but scary stuff to read ! :Gonefishing:

Thats scary stuff

And think about this diesel fuel has gone from $1.23 a liter to $1.45 in the last 15 days!!!! :Gonefishing::)

Joe......diesel prices were usually a little higher in the winter due to home heating , but many drivers have switched to diesel world wide & now , I don't know if it will come back down lower than gas. It has to be hard on many truckers who pay their own way & will eventually put prices up on everything we buy .Food & energy prices will hurt the most .....I can live without Walmart :)

I hear ya Bill. I'm paying close to $150 a week just to get to work now. The price on diesel is a cash grab for sure as it is nothing more than less refined gas. It's the supply and demand that's having the effect on the price :Gonefishing: Now if the government were to make the manufacturers pay the same prices as us to deliver this, I think we would see a big difference. They should be taxed and charged the same as the rest of us.

i remember when gas was well over a dollar/litre and diesel was still in the 70's

i laughed but i knew it was comming once everyone realised its cheaper and can be more econimical (it burns more efficiant then gas) suddenly deisel shot up in price!!

i think its B.S if they want to add another tax when we cannot look to something else, i dont like being forced to pay more for something if i dont have the option to look for a competitor!!!

everything is going up it seems except my wage!! as a mechanic, shops around ontario are hurting because people just dont have the money to fix their cars anymore, fuel is the sole most expensive item to keep a car going now, not matenience, insurance or anything, its fuel!!!

with my wage getting harder and harder to live on ive now resorted to working weekends in my garage for peanuts just to make extra cash.

A guy came my house a few days ago to ask if we were locked in for the natural gas rates ....we are fortunately , but he said the gas will be increasing by 20% for most people because gasoline prices are high !!!! Look for your hydro to do the same , we can't do much about it .....& I don't see much change going on out there.....everything seems normal :dunno: More surprises to come while we "green" Canada over......

i need another bike again, 10 bucks lasted me a week!

Last time I took my bike out it cost me 5 lbs of sweat & sore legs all night !!! :dunno:

Maybe it's time to polish up the old mountain bike & take her for a spin .....backpack & fishing pole on board ! :)

Big Ugli.....think canoe .....easier to paddle ! :P

Wow - that is so amazing.

Just combine the carbon bodied vehicles with that fuel and we are good to go.

There seems to be a lot out there to save our situation and the world. Sure hope they all listen.

Thanks for sharing.

Here's an interesting solution although I don't think you'll see governments backing it anytime soon B)

I hope the link works

That is sick ! ........which means is todays lingo , awesome ! If that is legit, I think the guy would have been assassinated by now :huh: ! Over the years , many claims have either been buried , bought off , or proven false by the oil boys . Seems too good to be true....it would change the world profoundly ! Rain would be worth it's weight in gold....... :D

• 3 weeks later...

Archived