NFN 2008/09 Pike Off

Guest Rockfish

Guest Rockfish

It's a little early before May 10'th when Pike reopens in the Niagara region inland but we can make some amendments to the rules and the dates and in adding an Ice category for the Winter. This will make it an even longer event than the last 2 years it has run, giving people more time to catch those biguns.

Since Boston and Rick did such a good job on making up the main rules, we'll use them again and just make some changes that others agree on. ( especially by the Evil Monkey :D:lol: )

EDIT *** New rules adjusted in Post #37 of this thread.

The rough draft :

1. Post a picture in the Official thread of your entry. More than one entry is allowed.

2. Fish must be a Northern pike,(not a gar or alike)

3. Fish must be caught in the Niagara Region, to stay in tune with the NFN theme, plus one hours drive anywhere outside the region. This covers Hamilton down to Dunnville, Toronto Islands, plus area's on the American side. Honesty, is the best policy on this one, just try to keep it as local as possible.

4. Photo of fish must have an NFN 2008/09 logo in the picture, not an added logo afterwards.

5. A measuring device such as a wide tape measure must be in the photo to accurately judge "overall length" of fish. The measuring device must clearly indicate size, so it helps with a tape measure that gives large markings for every 12".

6. Contest runs from May 10/2008 - March 31/2009.

7. The winner's of the contest will be recognized by having the longest "overall length" measured fish in the contest.

8. Two or three anonymous judges have/will be appointed to resolve any issues that may

arise in the judgement of fish lengths, judges decisions are final.

9. By popular demand. There will be two categories and possibly a third for Ice fishing decided in this contest of longest Pike, one will be caught from a boat (non shoreline angling methods, float tubes, inflatable boats, etc) the other will be caught from shore and one through the ice. Just to make it fair to everyone.

10. All MNR rules and regulations apply. Exception>> NO spear fishing allowed, since it's now illegal as of this year anyway.

11. Members who enter pike in contest must have at least 50 posts overall in these forums to enter fish.

12. NO TNT.

What's on the line.

1. Bragging right's and the title of NFN Pike GoooRoooo for one year!

2. An NFN baseball hat for sure and possibly more to be donated throughout the year.

:D

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Rockfish
Whaddya mean no dynermite! O.K. I admit TNT and ice fishing are a bad mix :D:)

A redneck just can't get a fair shake in this here town.

It is in the regs Bruce, so other angling methods are preferred even from u guys in Bumsville. :P

Ok, Rick doesn't think that there was a whole lot of interest in the last couple Pike Offs for submitting pics. So maybe as something new, everyone can post their Pike catches in the next Official thread, with NFN logo and tape measure of course just to show their "personal bests" for the year. The winners with the "longest lengths" will be recognized at the end of the contest.

After a poll last year on everyone's fav. fish to catch, Pike was one of the top fish so everyone interested in this year's contest should post here. We can change the dates instead of having the contest run into next year, just have an open water season and have the end date at like Dec 15/08.

Then we can start a new contest for Ice fishing only, although we do get those warm trends when there is open water through the Winter. :lol:

Guest Rockfish
Yeah, I'm surprised people just didn't put their own personal best entry regardless the size. Actually I'm more surprised by the lack of boater entries too.....which could mean either boaters don't put in enough time for these pike or there is no advantage over fishing for pike from shore. :D

See what this year brings to the table. :lol:

Next year the pike off should be open Jan 1st.....some nice pike have been caught through the ice.

If the 2009 Pike Off started in Jan. it would have to end by March 31, when the inland season will be closed.

I've made some changes in the "rough draft" post above until we decide on the new rules.

The pike off is a fine idea. However with only 4 entries last year and about the same the

year before, I don't think there will be much change in interest this year.

It starts off strong with a handfull of entries and fizzles out real fast.

There are just way to many other species others are interested in.

Now here was an excellent idea Rick came up with last year, that didn't evolve.

NFN ideas Aug 11 2007,3:48 PM

Getting back to the ideas of what can be done here, I was wondering if members would be interested in getting involved in a team concept tourney, sort of what OFN is doing. No cost to join, it's basically teams competing against each other all year long as they fish and they submit their catch info to appointed mods who keep track of everything. An angler of the month thing can still be done as well. What say you all???

This is where I think our attention should be put on. Getting some teams together, all kinds of

fish entered, and no one has an advantage over anyone else. So, someone that targets just salmon,

or bass, will still have to hope someone in their team can also catch some cats or pickerel and the

such.

It's all team work.

Guest Rockfish
My only Pike fishing is usually done in April especially with the Niagara Bassmasters Pike tournament, come May it's smallie time. any chance of getting an exception for April?

That would be Lake Erie where Pike is still open all year andthe upper Niagara is also. We are aiming towards starting the contest when the inland region reopens to keep it in tune with the Niagara region theme. You must catch some incidental Pike through the year in your Bass excursions don't ya Tom ?

:Gonefishing:

Guest Rockfish

Well if it comes down to it, we'll have the 3'rd annual Pike Off for members that are interested and I'm sure a few us can donate a few prizes. I'll buy an NFN T-shirt and throw that in with a couple Pike lures, it doesn't have to be huge prizes just some fun between the Pike fishers on the board.

I like that idea, Trout one month, pike one month, crappie one month, smallies one month, largies one month, walleye one month, muskies one month. These would be short contests and keep guys interested instead of a year long contest. Might make a few of us go after a different species once in a while........

It's not that I'm against the pike-off, its just that the past few years prizes were ordered from the NFN store and donated from Denis, and as mentioned we had about 4 entries. I think the biggest thing here is that pike is not a species that many members fish for in the Niagara area on a regular basis when compared to others like trout and bass. The team concept idea that was mentioned didn't get much of a response either so it was quickly dropped.

I would love nothing more then to have something started here that really takes off, something that everyone could get excited about and make it worth putting together some interesting prize packs.

I see lots of points everyone is making...we already have lots of multispecies fishing things going on...we have had "survivor" the "showdown", NFN bass tourney, we have an Angler of the month contest(which ya ya I know I am wayyy behind on and promise to catch up on really soon) :Gonefishing: there has also recently been a monthly trout derby at Port D....in all actuality there is and has been alot of stuff going on with the board......the "pike off" is just another great fun challenge.

This year if there wasn't too many entries, it's for one simple reason...Rockish caught a hog 3 footer right at the beginning of it practically.and no one was able to top it for the duration. There was entries...heck Myself and Pope had the first 2 entries with a couple little ones..those fish where caught just before Rockfish clenched the season :lol:

If it is run from opener to close there is a great chance at some giants.....heck I caught about 30 of them in like Dec/Jan, after the pike off was over...but there was a few 3 footers in the mix..would have been a tight lead...Better chance of more people getting into big ones if it where run through these time frames...some pigs been caught by some NFNers on the ice this past while too.....it totally broadens the horizons if it where to run from May to March according to the season.

A team mutispecies effort for the year might be fun as well, but I wouldn't rule out a "pike off", it is a great challenge for the Niagara Region. As for team multispecies thing, and a comment that was made about keeping it fair for all....there are many members that would be at an advatage or disadvantage to one another....sure you could hope your "team mate" could get one on the bag...but, there are still many members that will never have the chance or have the equipment that some to to get out on the big water for spring kings.....travel 20 miles in a day trolling Erie walleye, or some musky fishing opportunities...some mebers rarely have the chance to fish certain places, or fish in a boat, others have or have access to getting out in the rigged up big boats on the big water....some only dream they could book a charter to do the same thing. I have 3 boats and none of them are the kind of boats that can tackle the big water every day..a nice day ya...when there's 7-8 footer plus waves out there..it's a no go...fortunately for me, I happen to know and have fished with a couple people that have big boats with all the fixins and when the chance pops up throughout the year I have opportunities to fish the big water...there are people in all ranges of fishing on here...newbies joinin in on the action,ole diehards, charter captains,tourney guys...and some guys just have wayyy of an advatage over others when it would come to the broad spectrum of a multispecies team effort..what if no one on your team or only 1 guy had a boat??? things like that, some guys don't have multispecies gear either...not everyone gets out with downriggers, 10 rods and all the toys..if one team had 3-4 of the "right" members on it..they would simply blow the contest right out of the water right away just like the "pike off" for example.

sounds like a great fun idea..but personally I wouldn't cancel out a "pike off" if we got the interest in it..you can catch them from shore just as well as a boat any time.

I'm not sure what the solution would be, but I think that the reason there were so little entries the last two years were because such large pike were caught so early in the competition. I haven't looked back, but if my memory serves correct, Scottydog had his entered within a month of the start, same with Dave last year. I know of quite a few people that tried pretty hard throughout the year to beat those marks but couldn't do it, thus giving the impression many weren't interested.

As I said, not sure how to get around this, since most of the big pike come early, but I do think there was a fair bit of people trying out there.

I never implied the pike off should be dropped :lol:

Keep it going for the ones interested :lol:

The year is young and I think it would be a good

idea for Rick to post a poll to see how many would

be interested in a team contest.

Just all in fun. If we get twenty entries, than we make

five teams by draw.

Nothing serious. Who cares who may have a boat or

whatever.

Not everyone can attend the various one day derbys.

But most everyone gets out when time allows.

Someone catches a big sucker, in it goes in that slot.

It works quite well for another board.

Lets see if there is any interest.

If not, there all lots of other ideas mentioned.

I would think we would want to apply the KISS principle.

This way there is less work for whoever will be running the show.

Wow, lots of good ideas and some great points made to the advantages and disadvantages of the various methods so I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in...Flavor of the Month sounds interesting, as noted before big Pike are being caught early and late in season so have May and Decmber for Pike, Bass opens end of June so do them in July, Salmon come into Port Aug/Sept so have them Sept or Oct, ect...You can even do teams this way, stick boaters with non-boaters...As a non-boater (at present) I would split the cost with a boater to get out, catch some fish, learn new things and get to know them...If you fish with the same guys all the time you won't get to know some of the other great members on this board...Hell, the boaters might even learn something from a non-boater...Then, you can do a prize pack every month or do points for a grand champ at the end...You can make it so prizes are donated of have a few of the bottom teams have to donate something related to that species...That way there people will make an effort to get out and catch fish to stay out of the bottom...Just a couple of ideas, not saying any of them are good but better ideas may come from someone reading this :Gonefishing:

great idea to place boaters and non-boaters if doing the "team" thing....kind of evens up the odds a little if it's a blind draw..otherwise there are a few people on here that could throw a pretty loaded up team together for sure of guys with the toys and the know how. Many of us are already seasoned multi-species anglers, and know the patterns on different fish 12 months a year. Gotta see how the majority would feel about placing interested boater names in a hat to draw with non-boaters for the day..or see about just picking X amount of people per team and partner up with who you choose...but any time we do stuff like this we try to leave it open to everyone, and anyone who wants to come out for the fun.

Perhaps make it a big list of species to fish for, and see what teams can knock it off.....but, how do you keep tabs on who caught the biggest fish to keep it honest.....what if ya get a 4 footer musky OOS and keep the pic on hold til after they are open....most are honest on here,,but who knows...and to boot who wants to see that hanging off the end of a scale :Gonefishing: or laying at the bottom of a boat so ya can slap a tape measure on it..not everyone knows what to do when a giant fish gets boated, and try and release it best you can....also anyone with a good digital scale, can "tare" it off so to speak and turn a 10lber into a 15lber :lol: . Some may not agree with who they are partnered up with and never go fishing with them anyways....some may not be able to afford spending alot of time out as a non-boater splitting costs with a boater say...fpr some doesn't matter, for example me..if I am going out fishing in my boat, I never expect anyone to kick in for gas or whatever...heck I am going out anyway, and gassing up the boat regardless of who goes fishing with me, so I don't see it as an issue, but others don't see it that way. There is alot of different stuff to consider when trying to throw a big thing together with multiple teams and to try an keep the odds pretty even to everyone involved..it's a great idea, and a great way to get interaction from the board, get ole freinds together, turn newbies on to different facets of fishing, give some opportunities they may have never had before when fishing. And would this be an anywhere anytime sort of contest open to any waters that may happen to be in our adventures...or a Niagara region only thing???

Guest Rockfish

Ok, we are getting into different ideas here which is good but the topic of this thread was to discuss the 2008/09 Pike Off dates and rule changes to extend it to the full inland open season. :lol:

There was a poll last year on fav. species to catch and Pike was one of the top fish. I know a bunch of guys that do fish for Pike regularly and are interested in the yearly Pike contest and all the other contests can be separate.

There will be a few of us that will donate prizes and like others have said a bunch of us were trying to beat the leader or keep our spot until the end of the contest. No other pics were submitted since the longest length hadn't been beaten.

The biggest Pike posted gives everyone a goal to target and it should be more interesting this year, since by May many of the bigger Pike will have moved to deeper cooler waters. Summer is usually slow and then when the waters cool down in the Fall and Winter, the biguns will be around and feeding again.

If you have the Pike-Off for the season, why not submit the pics by PM to the organizer and have them public at the end of the season...No one knows the biggest fish more posts/pics...When you're fishing a tournament, you don't know what the other competitors have caught until the weigh-in...If you want to recognize the leader, have a public post that says who the current leader is without a pic or measurement

Archived