NFN 2008/09 Pike Off

Guest Rockfish

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
April is coming and so will be pre-spawn crappies and perch. Just need an NFN 2008 banner and we should be set. :D

I am pretty sure that this is just for the "Pike Off" there is a whole other thread that Bigugli posted about any interest in a fishing league muti-species kind of thing..but in my opinion doubtful there is going to be enough response to get much more than 2-3 teams of 4-5 people together. :dunno:

keeping it pretty simple sounds good to me..best 3 fish in 3 categories...shore, boat ice..clear pic of some sort of NFN logo, stick to the same boundries and rules always,clear shot of measuring tape...add up the pigs at the end...see who wins... :Gonefishing:

Guest Rockfish
April is coming and so will be pre-spawn crappies and perch. Just need an NFN 2008 banner and we should be set. :D

Go ahead Tommy, make a new thread and set one up. A logo banner is easy to make in Microsoft Paint as we've seen in your many drawings. :Gonefishing:

If people want to explore a different avenue, express it elsewhere. A few people have made suggestions on the "fishing league" thread, but no real interest has been expressed. And if only 10 people are gonna get interested it is not worth the effort.

The Pike-Off is what it will be. Participate or move on.

well you guys know that I am totally in for a "Pike off" but being a May start you might not see too many entries from me until late fall and spring, my spots produce the bigger fish around now untill a bit into May, and then no real pigs until like Nov,Dec,Jan depending on the weather. Be fun watching the summer snot rocket contest though..see who can get 3 fish into the higher 20 inch range...I doubt any 3 footers are gonna be caught until winter/spring 08-09 :D

but 3 fish seems like a great way to do it....but is there still going to be lack of entries the first time someone gets 3 fish that are 30 inches plus, and everyone else is getting 2 footers???, it's not that people weren't fishing them. but when someone gets a pig right near the start of the contest and nobody can top that...doesn't mean people aren't fishing them or catching them, just means they haven't been able to top the leader board so they don't post a pic...curious to see how this pans out...some guys catch 3 pike all year, other catch dozens of them.

Just to get this right...is it biggest 3 fish total for all 3 methods combined...or biggest 3 fish in each category????

Jack I'm pretty sure it's biggest 3 fish in each category. For me for example, I don't have a boat so likely won't enter any "boat" fish...but will enter fish for shore category.

I think the three fish thing gives everyone a decent chance. By the time someone posts three pigs I'm sure others will have stuff measured and entered. Plus your always trying to up your smallest so I think it'll have alot more entries because it gives more possibilities for beating the winner. In previous years you knew your pike wasn't 34 inches or whatever, so why post it. But if you for example have three 30 inchers, I'll keep trying to beat your total of 90 in some combination of 3 fish.

Guest Rockfish

9. By popular demand, there will be 3 categories in this contest of the " Best 3 Pike ", one will be caught from a boat (non shoreline angling methods, float tubes, inflatable boats, etc), the second will be caught from shore and third will be through the ice. Please indicate in the " Official pinned thread " if your Pike is Boat Entry, Shore Entry or Ice Fishing Entry. Each category will be separate entries, keeping it fair for those that only fish from shore or from a boat, canoe ect.

There will be 3 SEPARATE CATEGORIES and 3 DIFFERENT WINNERS, Jack, no combining. Just like last year when we had a winner for shore angler and one for Boat angler and now we have third category for ice fishing.

:D

cool thanks Dave..got the shore and boat part covered, and as it gets into it, I don't mind getting the odd person out with me here and there in the boat too, as for ice fishing, well we will see what next winter brings...but by then I am steelie fishing..so you guys are probably safe there :Gonefishing::D

cool thanks Dave..got the shore and boat part covered, and as it gets into it, I don't mind getting the odd person out with me here and there in the boat too, as for ice fishing, well we will see what next winter brings...but by then I am steelie fishing..so you guys are probably safe there :dunno::D

Wouldn't be too sure of that. I've got the fish catching dog on my side :Gonefishing:

Guest HANK DE HAAN
just in time for walleye/pike opener at my camp ;)

I am just reading this now.I would like to go in the pike off,but I am not making 34 post just for the hell of it to enter.Iam not on this site all the time.

and I only have a computer at work.I quess 33 post after this one.

If the 50 post limit could dropped,that would be great.If yes,where do I get a logo so I can participate.

hank

Guest Stu Pedasso

Been away from the computer for a while but I am interested in entering the Pike Off. For what it's worth I love the 3 categories and agree with it running until 03/31/09. A lot of good ideas previously mentioned (to be honest I only read pages 1-3). I think posting personal bests may increase picture submissions but I also think that a sub-category of a chart showing total inches (maybe top 10 entrants, minimum 3 fish to get on the chart????) would not only keep the entries coming in but could also serve as a tie-breaker ;)

Whatever is decided I plan on entering pike in all 3 catergories.

Good luck all.

Guest Rockfish
Been away from the computer for a while but I am interested in entering the Pike Off. For what it's worth I love the 3 categories and agree with it running until 03/31/09. A lot of good ideas previously mentioned (to be honest I only read pages 1-3). I think posting personal bests may increase picture submissions but I also think that a sub-category of a chart showing total inches (maybe top 10 entrants, minimum 3 fish to get on the chart????) would not only keep the entries coming in but could also serve as a tie-breaker :blink:

Whatever is decided I plan on entering pike in all 3 catergories.

Good luck all.

Justing arranging with Rick later to have separate "Pinned threads" for each category, one for Shore Entry and one for Boat Entry at the top of the forum on May 10'th. The Ice fishing category will be up in Dec. All entries will be allowed even if 3 Pike are not posted yet, just make sure they are posted in the right category.

The idea was that each member will have "3 entries" in each category that they want to enter, so it's up to the member to keep updating their pics of longer fish and delete the shorter Pike pics. This should make everything easier to keep track of and a couple of us will also keep records of the entries.

I'll do you one better....instead of pinned threads, the pike off will have it's own separate forum with three sub-forums. How's them apples? :blink:

Guest Rockfish
I'll do you one better....instead of pinned threads, the pike off will have it's own separate forum with three sub-forums. How's them apples? :wacko:

Sounds great Rick ! :wacko: Should be lots of fun this year.

:blink:

100 replies to this thread and the pike-off is not even started yet.

Looks like there is a lot of interest in this pike-off this year may even have a few ties, do you have a plan in case of a tie?, biggest of the 3? first posted?

I think there are a number of options that we can all consider in the event of a tie (which is probably very unlikely, but nonetheless should be prepared for).

Suggestions:

1. In the event of a tie which would be an equal total length for 3 pike amongst 2 or more anglers, the angler with the single longest pike entered would win. (example: Angler1: 34'', 38'', 42'' = 114" Angler2: 36'', 38'', 40'' = 114") Angler1 would be declared the winner with the longest pike being 42"

2. In the event of tie which would be an equal total length for 3 pike amongst 2 or more anglers, the winner would be decided after a 1-week 'playoff.' The angler would have 1 week from the official deadline to submit a photo and measurement of 1 additional pike.

(This would require pushing the end date of the pike-off forward by 1 week (~March 25, 2009) in order to comply with regulations, or we focus the last week playoff on bodies of water within the Niagara region which are open all season (Upper Niagara River). This would be based on the category as well and is much more complex than the first suggestion - but could be made possible and would be very exciting.

-Just a couple options...I'm sure we can work on these or other suggestions, which will ultimately help make the pike-off even better and with less room for error.

-Drew

Guest Rockfish
I think there are a number of options that we can all consider in the event of a tie (which is probably very unlikely, but nonetheless should be prepared for).

Suggestions:

1. In the event of a tie which would be an equal total length for 3 pike amongst 2 or more anglers, the angler with the single longest pike entered would win. (example: Angler1: 34'', 38'', 42'' = 114" Angler2: 36'', 38'', 40'') Angler1 would be declared the winner with the longest pike being 42"

Good ideas Drew and I think we'll go with your first suggestion in that case, don't want to make this too complicated and there will be decisions made on the pics and the lengths right down to last part of an inch, such as 1/4 inches.

:Gonefishing:

Guest Rockfish

50 posts to enter have been the rules for the last 2 years and this is the 3'rd year running. It's pretty easy to make 50 posts and can see that lots of people are already on their way, heck Jack did it one week. :blink:

:Gonefishing:

Archived