NFN 2008/09 Pike Off

Guest Rockfish

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lets try and figure out before this gets under way if we need to kick in a few bucks to get this going...then perhaps if we all have to chip a little somehting in, make it an official entry into the Pike Off kind of thing, if we got enough people to kick in even 5 bucks we could drum up a few cool prizes throughout the year....I still think we should start it now..I can think of a couple spots that will be putting out some nice ones over the next while :Gonefishing: and yessss they are open in those spots...with May as a starting time, it's gonna be a snot rocket derby until Fall :P

lets try and figure out before this gets under way if we need to kick in a few bucks to get this going...then perhaps if we all have to chip a little somehting in, make it an official entry into the Pike Off kind of thing, if we got enough people to kick in even 5 bucks we could drum up a few cool prizes throughout the year....I still think we should start it now..I can think of a couple spots that will be putting out some nice ones over the next while :Gonefishing: and yessss they are open in those spots...with May as a starting time, it's gonna be a snot rocket derby until Fall :P

But even in the middle of summer a few big pigs make it to the net

Anna28inches.jpg

I'd be happy to pitch 5 bucks...but the only problems might be getting everyones money, and people holding back from posting because they think they'll lose their 5 bucks?? It's only five bucks but you never know with some.

Although this would ensure a decent sized prize pool at the end.

Guest Rockfish
lets try and figure out before this gets under way if we need to kick in a few bucks to get this going...then perhaps if we all have to chip a little somehting in, make it an official entry into the Pike Off kind of thing, if we got enough people to kick in even 5 bucks we could drum up a few cool prizes throughout the year....I still think we should start it now..I can think of a couple spots that will be putting out some nice ones over the next while :P and yessss they are open in those spots...with May as a starting time, it's gonna be a snot rocket derby until Fall :P

Sounds like an idea Jack, but trying to keep this as simple as possible and without an entry fee another idea would be that anyone interested could mail donations. Just mail to somewhere like Denis's Fishin' Niagara in Fort Erie since his address is already on the board. ;) If Denis and Rick are involved in the prizes again they could then be helped out greatly with donations and then order and supply prizes.

For those that haven't seen it, here is a peek at last year's prizes for Shore and Boat Categories last year donated by Rick and Denis. :Gonefishing: There's a good $300 worth of stuff right here when u add taxes. ;)

Prizes.jpg

actually it's free. The only cost would be if someone pays with credit or debit. I guess I'm assuming

most people have paypal accounts. I'd be willing to get the account set up. I know most of you don't

know me, but I'm sure Denis would vouch for me (I'm Eron Stroud from Crystal Beach).

For the consumer, paypal is free to sign up. For a seller , different story. Just like the credit card, there are transaction fees. I'm afraid I haven't enough trust in electronic banking. Previous employer had enough problems with it.

A $5 entry fee is a good idea...you pay up front, mail it to Denis or whatever and in return you get your NFN Pike Off logo...Now you have invested in the contest and are trying to get your money back, you are going to try harder to win which will increase the posts

Guest Rockfish

I haven't heard back from Denis yet and what exactly the rulers look like, but anything paper folded up to like 40" is going to be a real pain to try to keep straight when measuring a fish. The smaller logos that everyone printed off on their own printers the last couple years are alot more compact and fit nicely into a tackle box or backpack like what I like to use when out hiking around.

A regular ridgid tape measure should work fine with the logo. If there is interest in an entry fee maybe we could make it $10 like the other derbies and u also get almost 10 months out of it.

If you guys are serious about charging for the pike off through Paypal then at the bottom of this page is a donation button that can be used, but I personally don't feel it's necessary to have a fee.

Guest Rockfish
keep it simple boys..... Grab your Lufkin tape, measure the pig and away you go.... This will not be your year Dave.... :P

Good fishing. Scottydog

And the smack talk starts already from Scotty !!! ;);)

That's what I thought Scotty, keep it simple like the last couple years, make donations if u want.

:Gonefishing:

ya make the donations optional, I'll pitch in a few bucks too, but if people don't that's cool.

Hey scottydog, I totally agree with you that it won't be Dave's year this year.....he was lucky that I was in Australia last year and couldn't fish for a pike!! In all honesty, look out boys, I've had the pike itch for over a year now and it's time for me to catch a hog. Have all my spots mapped out. We should have a little get together on opener, a little friendly competition wouldn't hurt along with some smack talk

i like the idea of the 3 fish and it shouldnt start till may because not everyone lives right on the niagara river jack

as for prizes if you can donate something like a lure or anything doesnt have to cost alot

great job dave on putting the pike off together again this year

Guest Rockfish
i like the idea of the 3 fish and it shouldnt start till may because not everyone lives right on the niagara river jack

as for prizes if you can donate something like a lure or anything doesnt have to cost alot

great job dave on putting the pike off together again this year

Well thanks to Boston he started the Pike off 2 yrs ago which did start alot of interest for different areas for Pike around Niagara which is almost everywhere u can find water. There was alot of talk in the background, through PMs and meeting up with people. Through member's input we just threw in some new ideas to make it more interesting.

I agree with Pickerel Hunter, We should all get together somewhere and fish for pike and have a "Pike Off Send Off" Like in the old survivor days. That way anybody can make a donation towards the prizes and you can finalize any of the rules that people may not fully understand.

I'm going today with the ruler on my way to work to see if it's gonna work. I'll vouch for Erin "cruddler" if you guys want him to get things setup. I was gonna donate another few prizes this year. I'm also gonna fish it :Gonefishing:

Guest Rockfish
i personaly think the flavor of the monthe idea is a real good one and i would be intersted in something like that

Anyone can still start a new thread on the Flavour of the Month contest, but we is still havin the Pike Off again this year !!!

Archived