Welland River

dennyb123

My last outing on the Welland river only consisted of catching the smallest little cat you ever saw, but it still ended my skunk streak. Other folks on this board pointed me to the little park across the road from the airport. I have kinda enjoyed it there.

the welland river is alot bigger than lots of people think...there are tonnes of spots to park and fish...just drive around until you find a spot you think looks good and give it a go..cats,perch,crappie and panfish open right now, everything else is closed until season opens for that particualr species...for example, pike and walleye May10 :dunno:

What part of the welland are you fishing?

I drive past the Welland River daily for about a week and a half now. From Broadway till the end going to Chambers Corners and I see many a line in the water along the east shore daily.

They park off road and then sit on open shore. Saw two areas where chairs have been left on open land and nobody ever in them when I go to work or come back.

It just kills me to be passing them each day.

Guest canada
My last outing on the Welland river only consisted of catching the smallest little cat you ever saw, but it still ended my skunk streak. Other folks on this board pointed me to the little park across the road from the airport. I have kinda enjoyed it there.

Try around the one lane bridge there aswell can be a great crappie spot at times, its ussually hit or miss but if there around some really nice crappie hang there!! Use a slip float with a small minnow about 2' below don't go to deep crappie swim up for the bait!!! I'd love to tell you my other honey holes down there but I'd be in big trouble :dunno::o:)

hmm i was out at that park across from the airport for about 2 hours... caught 2 fish. sunfish and a baby walleye... no cats! but i was only usin worms

I'll be out there Saturday and let you know how I make out. I expect a couple cats.

hmm i must be usin a diff set up? i tried the bobber/worm combo.. that got me the sunfish. tried a pickerel rig, cuz i used use that in chippawa of the dock across from the boat club... thats no longer there, and sometimes would get 2 perch or other fish at a time... thats when the baby walleye struck. tried a heavy weight and worm too but got nothin on off that

Guest canada

If you cross the river at the little one lane bridge and turn right and head towards Hamilton drive down about 10min cross regional rd 24 pass the 2x4 restaurant 5min up the rd you'll come to Boyle rd!! There is a white church at the corner, turn right 100yds down Boyle rd you come to a bridge crossing the welland river lots of cats in there aswell as crappies somtimes!! lots of room to fish aswell can be a productive spot somedays!!!

I've got some Channels at that One lane bridge aswell :)

as the water warms up in a couple of those spots where the water is really dirty brown ,it's fairly shallow and the stained water warms up quicker this time of year when it's sunny, after the water warms it's better at night sometimes for the bigger cats.

As for the walleye, good to hear on that, I am one of the guys who helps with some local stocking :) ,it would be great if anyone who catches any there to shoot me a PM if they want to share any info on things like size, general health of the fish, some general thoughts on the condition of the fishing area around you in general. This is so the info can be shared with the MNR to help with thier studies on the walleye population and the successrates of the stocking programs.

Even if you want to keep a decent walleye spot off the open forum to help preserve a fishery that we are trying to enhance shoot me a PM about it. No, I am not trying to steel your fishing spots :) , I already know the areas that get stocked, I am one of the people that are involved in doing it :P

The MNR is very interested in the feedback, and I have a couple direct contacts from the people I have volunteered with in the MNR as noted in the thread I started regarding the 2008 walleye tagging project on the Grand. This is where the hatchery stock comes from becasue the muddy shallower conditions of the Grand are very simular to some parts of the Welland River so they are raising fish stocks from that genetic pool that would be the best candidates for living in the Welland.

Thanks any help and feedback regarding this is greatly appreciated :o

The NPCA also has an anglers diary they would like us to fill out if we are fishing the Welland R. on a regular basis. Easy to obtain. I have copies available.

The NPCA also has an anglers diary they would like us to fill out if we are fishing the Welland R. on a regular basis. Easy to obtain. I have copies available.

Bruce could you save me a copy as the little guy and I fish the niagara end frequently :)

you can contact Kerry McCauley (restoration program assistant),905-788-3135 ext 257, kmccauley@conservation-niagara.on.ca to get them as well

Bigugli, how can I get one of those off of you? Do you have any fishing outings in the next couple days were I might bump into you? I wouldn't mind filling one out.

By the way I mentioned in an above post that I would update what I caught today in the Welland river but I never made it out that way... heading out there Sunday morning now instead.

Looks like I should get one of these diaries for the family as we fish this system pretty much everyday. From where we are we have had channel cat, bullhead, sheephead, accidental largies, seen a 4 lb walleye caught, sunfish, crappy, suckers, silver bass and all so far this spring.

Guest Rockfish

I tried a few spots on the river today, was pretty windy and guess the cold front shut the bite down. Just caught one Bullhead on a worm for my efforts.

:rolleyes:

Anyone ever put a boat in at the park across from the airport?

How deep is it if you continue back down towards webber road?

Is it possible to troll for anything or too much crap on the bottom?

My Crestliner boat may be a little big at 16ft , not sure, just asking.

Guest Rockfish
Anyone ever put a boat in at the park across from the airport?

How deep is it if you continue back down towards webber road?

Is it possible to troll for anything or too much crap on the bottom?

My Crestliner boat may be a little big at 16ft , not sure, just asking.

Bruce will be able to answer more on this and we found that there is an average of between 8 and 10 fow throughout the river once past Lincoln st. Just watch out for alot of stumps in the water once u launch from the BC Memorial park and just stick to pretty center of the river.

You can troll worm harnesses and catch a variety of fish and there are spots where there is alot of the sticks, logs and manmade crap in the river.

Center of the river is good with 9-12 ft depth. Being a river watch out for snags and deadheads. The river was once a major commercial route and you will find large clusters of old dock pilings up to 25 ft from shore, and lots of pilings under most bridges.

Run a troll on your electric. You will hit bottom snags, but at a slower speed they won't bury the hooks as badly.

Archived