Welland recreational Canal

4inaboat

Fished down there on the banks close to Lincoln ave. Bridge and as usual lots of fish.

Wish they would allow us to bring our boats back in for fishing.

What was decided and how much longer must we wait.

No motorized boats will ever be allowed on the Rec. Canal Ever!

Electric motor boats have a slim to none chance sometime in the future restricted to certain areas and certain times of the year.

The Rec. Canal is considered Flat Water Zone and the city only wants non motorized boats like kayaks and such on there with the exception of motorized safety boats for when there are races, not for fishing.

Fishing is at the bottom of the list for consideration when it comes to the Rec. Canal everything else is more important to the city of Welland.

If you want to fish from a boat go to the Welland River but slow down in the river before they close the rest of the boat launches in the River also.

Well said Richard.

John Levick begged anglers to come to a couple of meetings or form a group and was left with silence. There was an opportunity to turn things around but the silent majority let it slip away. One idiot ruined it for everyone with that fatal accident and everyone else burried their head in the sand.

Besides that Richard nailed it right on the head. Don't srew it up for the River and be careful and slow.

I would think that most of the smaller parts of the Welland river are a no wake zone anyways iof you abide by the rule on size /width of a body of water in relation, even if there is no posted speed limit...and if you aren't familiar with parts of the river anyways and are just gunning around...good luck with your prop and lower unit :blink:

No motorized boats will ever be allowed on the Rec. Canal Ever!

Electric motor boats have a slim to none chance sometime in the future restricted to certain areas and certain times of the year.

The Rec. Canal is considered Flat Water Zone and the city only wants non motorized boats like kayaks and such on there with the exception of motorized safety boats for when there are races, not for fishing.

Fishing is at the bottom of the list for consideration when it comes to the Rec. Canal everything else is more important to the city of Welland.

If you want to fish from a boat go to the Welland River but slow down in the river before they close the rest of the boat launches in the River also.

My information from Councilor Sandy O'Dell is that electrics are allowed! He told me that this was changed last year! Contact your local councillor to verify! I have been using my electric on the rec! I hope Sandy didn't lie to me ( politicians don't lie, do they?) :Gonefishing:

Gil

Hey Gil,

Where do you launch your boat? is it only a small inflatable with an electric?

I was told last year by Stephen Fisher (WRCC) that he was working on getting permission for electrics but the only ones allowed last year were the 2 boats with electric motors that were for rent by the WRCC at lincoln st.

I'll try and contact him for more information.

Hey Gil,

Where do you launch your boat? is it only a small inflatable with an electric?

I was told last year by Stephen Fisher (WRCC) that he was working on getting permission for electrics but the only ones allowed last year were the 2 boats with electric motors that were for rent by the WRCC at lincoln st.

I'll try and contact him for more information.

Richard,

I am fishing from a canoe! Steven Fisher, does not make the bylaws! Contact your local councillor regarding this issue!

I put in at various spots along the rec!

Gil

Guest Tug Boat

oh don't get me started

We can't use our motor boats in there but the rowers have like 4 or more motorized boats in there right now what the crap is that they can use what ever they want and when ver they want

I think it is great that they have set aside the Welland Recreation Canal from power boats. Very progressive thinking. Fishing from a canoe or non powered boat can be very productive and relaxing. Jet Boats, water skiers, and wake boarders have ruined many a peaceful canoe fishing expedition for me in the lower Niagara below Queenston. Kudos to the Welland City Council for progressive green thinking...

As for the rowing the club, the motorized boats are used to coach and instruct the rowers, they are also they to provide saftey for the rowers. And besides when you have the national champions training at that course no one is going to say boo about using motorized boats.

• 11 years later...
7 hours ago, ksmith26 said:

New Member..and shore fisherman with grand kids...How about fishing in the Flatwater Rowing areas?  And what fish are found in there?

Like Snags said. the possible fish. (keeping only in season fish of course)

Water still cool. Water drops pretty deep short distance from shore. So depends on your method of fishing would dictate where you should fish.

Used to take my son there when he was a kid.........I didn't think about this place, as I was looking for a spot to get out with my grandson.................I'm happy that this came up as a conversation..................

How about the next flat water event we all put our boats in row out start fishing and let them race around us I know this is radical but Welland còntrolls the land water is a natural resource also squeaky wheel gets the grease

Like I said there has to be enough of us older fishing people that have smaller boats we can fish in the canal with during a flat water event  . Listen I have been fishing for 60 years my friends fish and hunt for same length it's time we reclaim some of the rights we have lost.

7 hours ago, ksmith26 said:

Perch would be good for kids...any panfish, I suppose?  Have a 32 yr old granddaughter that is a fanatic fisherman..would like to see her catching well.  Last year, along river, she only caught gobys.

Definitely stick the south end (you facing north) where it stays shallow for a bit. When temps warm up you should see panfish moving/hovering around, especially when weeds start to show up. I'd say early May should be good.

Archived