Too Early for Pier Fishing?

mikeymikey

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest canada

Give it a couple more weeks, mid august is when I start chucking the glows off the piers :Gonefishing: Action really heats up last week of august first week of september, this of course is at night I usually fish the 3am to daylight shift :lol:

Give it a couple more weeks, mid august is when I start chucking the glows off the piers :Gonefishing: Action really heats up last week of august first week of september, this of course is at night I usually fish the 3am to daylight shift :lol:

I do too, just thought that I would try it even earlier.

Slight change from topic.

I would like to buy myself a new fishing rod for spoon casting off pier(s).

I currently have a Shimano Convergence 10'0" Medium Power - Slow Action.

I am looking for a rod in that length, similar power rating but faster action rod (would like to be able to bring the fish in little quicker).

What exact brand & model would you recommend? +best local shop to buy'em (regardless of location, please no online shopping).

By the way,,, I am not a hardcore fishermen so I won't be able to spend a month of a car payment on a fishing rod.

Just wondering,,,

Which brand & model rod do you people use ? and for those of you using braided line, do you use a leader? if so what # and how long?

Thank you.

Guest niagarariverpro
Slight change from topic.

I would like to buy myself a new fishing rod for spoon casting off pier(s).

I currently have a Shimano Convergence 10'0" Medium Power - Slow Action.

I am looking for a rod in that length, similar power rating but faster action rod (would like to be able to bring the fish in little quicker).

What exact brand & model would you recommend? +best local shop to buy'em (regardless of location, please no online shopping).

By the way,,, I am not a hardcore fishermen so I won't be able to spend a month of a car payment on a fishing rod.

Just wondering,,,

Which brand & model rod do you people use ? and for those of you using braided line, do you use a leader? if so what # and how long?

Thank you.

St.Croix Wild River 10'6" rated 8-14lb,

Guest canada

I use an 8.5' Shimano Clarus med power fast action. Its a heavy medium action rod with a quick taper which gives it the fast action with lots of backbone. It has an 8lb -17lb line recomdation but I use 30lb power pro, I don't finess kings you got be able to lay the boots to them off the pier. This isn't trout fishing these are freight trains I wouldn't go over 9' in length and I like a solid rod with strong backbone :Gonefishing: For the reel I use a Diawa 1600 SS it holds plenty of line and has a great drag, it's not the most advanced reel but it is a work horse and can handle the runs those big ole kings can give ya!

Got the rod at Petes for around $85.00, it's great for chucking glows. Oh ya I don't use a leader I tie directly to heavy duty split ring right to the spoon. 30lb power pro braid

Guest canada
Do you find you're sacrificing casting distance with that rod, Dude? Or is that not as important when you compare it to the power ya get at fight time?

To be honest I prefer the fast action for throwing heavy glow spoons, and I don't notice much sacrifice in casting distance. I find the slow action longer poles are to whippy for throwing heavy spoons and I can really jam the hook into a King with the faster action rod! I'm throwing 1oz - 11/2oz spoons so I prefer a heavier action rod. I have even changed my drifting rod to 10.5 feet with a moderate action from 11' slow action which I find 10x better for bottom bouncing Port D and the River since I'm using 1oz- 1 1/2 oz of lead. I like to match the outfit with the type of presentation I'm using so when I changed to a 8.5' heavier fast action rod, I've found it matches great for throwing glow spoons. I can still fire a glow out a long way and it's alot more comfortable to fish with :D

Good post I'm currently getting all my gear together, going to give it a try next week never know some kings may be around in the twilight hours :Gonefishing:

I also do find that 8'6" rod can cast as far & good as my 10'0" Medium rod.

But one thing I still need to learn better is to utilize the flex of the rod end to sling~ shoot those spoons. Whenever I make a cast and really feel the rod flex and sling those lures... it does cast much better and slightly further. Plus feel less fatigue.

Btw... Canada what brand/model spoons are you casting that are 1+oz? Can you post some links to lures you use?

Thanks.

I personally only use Cleo 3/4oz. I bought those so called "Fortune Spoons" only because it claims to glow for hours or something. I bought a 3/4oz & 1oz size but I just could cast as good as Cleo 3/4oz because of its shape. Spoon is heavier but it's larger so it takes on too much wind and won't cast far. Spoon shape of Cleo is just perfect for casting...

Now what physical size of spoon & colour have you found it to be best last season?

Like I have said, FortuneSpoon shape of spoon was horrible, I couldn't cast it out too good.

But Little Cleo 3/4 Glow Green caught 99% of fish for me last season.

But! funny thing is, either all big female & all male was caught only on Rapala JR13 Firetiger.

What about you guys ? Care to share your personal tips?

Ive got my shore salmon gear ready to go Now im watching the overnight temps and salmon pics You should start seeing the salmon change colour very soon It looks like the salmon are bigger this year Lets hope for a big Port D run

Ps they do eat 24/7 not just at night <_<

Ive got my shore salmon gear ready to go Now im watching the overnight temps and salmon pics You should start seeing the salmon change colour very soon It looks like the salmon are bigger this year Lets hope for a big Port D run

Ps they do eat 24/7 not just at night <_<

Same here, spooled ready for action. Maybe early Monday morning for me I am sure there are some Browns cruising around the shallows. The Calcutta is ready to go and the new addition Curado300 is spooled also. <_<

Jose

Guest old guy

It won't be long before the salmon are heading up the Niagara. Lots of salmon turning color already in Lake O. Last time out the salmon were not the bright silver of early summer and spring.

I should really visit and see what Port D. is all about as I have never been there. Is it shore fishing friendly? Will I be needing a ultra long handle net?

Now that I brought out the topic of a NET. What type of net do you guys have? Have you modded your net? If so how? Could you post some pics? I just use some Lucky Strike net which only extend to 45" and the size of the hoop is ok but I think I really need more proper net. Than again it's gotta fit into my little Civic Sedan trunk.

One more question to those waiting for pier fishing. Do you have a specific lure/size you use to go after browns? I would really like to catch my first.

Thank you.

Guest canada
I also do find that 8'6" rod can cast as far & good as my 10'0" Medium rod.

But one thing I still need to learn better is to utilize the flex of the rod end to sling~ shoot those spoons. Whenever I make a cast and really feel the rod flex and sling those lures... it does cast much better and slightly further. Plus feel less fatigue.

Btw... Canada what brand/model spoons are you casting that are 1+oz? Can you post some links to lures you use?

Thanks.

I personally only use Cleo 3/4oz. I bought those so called "Fortune Spoons" only because it claims to glow for hours or something. I bought a 3/4oz & 1oz size but I just could cast as good as Cleo 3/4oz because of its shape. Spoon is heavier but it's larger so it takes on too much wind and won't cast far. Spoon shape of Cleo is just perfect for casting...

Now what physical size of spoon & colour have you found it to be best last season?

Like I have said, FortuneSpoon shape of spoon was horrible, I couldn't cast it out too good.

But Little Cleo 3/4 Glow Green caught 99% of fish for me last season.

But! funny thing is, either all big female & all male was caught only on Rapala JR13 Firetiger.

What about you guys ? Care to share your personal tips?

I usually throw " Pete's Bucket Spoons" I call them that because Peter's tackle keeps them in a pail and sells them for $3.00 or 5 for $10.00 somthing like that.I change the hook and put a heavy duty split ring on them. I use the glow/red dot and the glow/pink diamond, those fortune spoons work well to, I'm not that concerned on distance as long as I get out fairly far, I have alot of big kings smash the spoon 10' from the pier. I don't mind a spoon that fades out either, I sometimes find the spoon is more effective after the bright glow has faded a little.

No specific size for me for Brownies, they eat anything I find then again I don't target them much untill late October/november and then I get them on roe, corkies, beads,streamers ect like I say they'll hit anything <_<

Guest Tacklebox

every one talking spoons and that's fine and dandy...aug15 is gng to b the night full moon phase...sun rise gotta throw on a crank bait...notin beats hitting chinnys on them, cuz they destroy ive had chinnys punchure holes in them but the all nighters are going to be fun hopefully can hit double digit nights

Guest canada
every one talking spoons and that's fine and dandy...aug15 is gng to b the night full moon phase...sun rise gotta throw on a crank bait...notin beats hitting chinnys on them, cuz they destroy ive had chinnys punchure holes in them but the all nighters are going to be fun hopefully can hit double digit nights

I here ya ......I throw cranks usually later on in the season and the chinny's destroy them :rolleyes: ......I'm done fishing with globs of skien can't stand handling that filthy crap anymore B)

Crankbait lures?

Other than spoon, only thing I have tried was Rapala J13. It's always a bigger fish with J13's.

I have a rod question.

I am split between two rods.

St. Croix 10'6" Medium Power - Mod Fast

or

St. Croix 9'6" Medium Heavy Power - Fast

If you had to buy, which would you pick ? and why?

DOUBLE DIGIT??? Are you joking or are you for real? 10+ salmon is totally possible?!?

WOW!

Guest niagarariverpro

look for salmon this end of the lake 3rd weekend in August... only low light at first..

double digits are possible but don't expect that every time out lol

Guest canada

Double digit is totally possible on a good night, my best last year was 5 for 7 and I didn't start till 3am, I've wittnessed dudes who pulled an all nighter with as many as 12 fish and like 22 for 2 of them :) ...for cranks I use Kwikfish ( I guess it's a crankbait), Theres another but I forget the name it's like a huge Big O style bait with hot pink be really hot :(

For 9'6 med heavy fast would be my choice, I would really like to see the rod though different manufacturers, seem to rate there rods alittle different eg some mediums to me seem to be more on the heavier side and vice versa, Like I say though I like the fast action for chucking lures!

Crankbait lures?

Other than spoon, only thing I have tried was Rapala J13. It's always a bigger fish with J13's.

I have a rod question.

I am split between two rods.

St. Croix 10'6" Medium Power - Mod Fast

or

St. Croix 9'6" Medium Heavy Power - Fast

If you had to buy, which would you pick ? and why?

That's an easy one Mikey. Get 'em both!

Actually I have both those rods so it's funny that you asked about 'em. The medium heavy 9'6" is what I use to chuck spoons off the piers. I reall like it because you can work the lure pretty nicely on the retreive and you've got a lot of muscle to fight da big boyz. The medium power 10'6" St. Croix is what I have for bottom bouncing Port D but was thinking of trying it for pier chucking this year and comparing the two.

But I guess that doesn't help you right now though( lol ), but good luck with which ever choice you make!

Guest dobee

pier fishing already. man the summer has flown by fast, thank god.

I got my first salmon on bronte pier aug 18th last year a 21lber. im getting surgery done on my knee on the 11th but i will be out there that weekend... anyone wants to hook up shoot me a pm. i live in the dundas area.

Joe

I got my first salmon on bronte pier aug 18th last year a 21lber. im getting surgery done on my knee on the 11th but i will be out there that weekend... anyone wants to hook up shoot me a pm. i live in the dundas area.

Joe

Joe..think you might be overlooking a great salmon area even closer to you!

I use an 8'5" Gatorback with a Daiwa 4000 and 300 yd of 10lb pline.The Daiwa is a new real for this run...but was using a 4000 series Shimano (cheapy) last year with 10 lb pline. Only about 4 break off all season and landed around 50 salmon.

I do have my 30lb Spyderwire braided for backup but I prefer the fight on the 10lb.

As far as bait.....2/3- 3/4 oz cleos greens,blues,orange, and spotted. Fortune spoons in the 7/8 superglow were also working awesome for me. I have Pete,s spoons, J-13's, rattling raps. All work it seems.

I didnt find color as important as just keeping a lure wet and in the strike zone.

Oh ya and to answer the closer spot Joe...ever try the liftbridge???? Message me if ya want some more info!

Archived