Too Early for Pier Fishing?

mikeymikey

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so visited port credit and wow...

seem like even more boats out there than yesterday.

What is more wow is even more boats are concentrated closer to the mouth of the river and shores... yet nobody is fighting a fish.

I've actually seen 2 fish jump very near the shores but nobody caught any.

With 30+ temperature coming in few days... I guess salmons won't be coming too close to the shores.

Was out last night at Bronte. 2 fish caught on the pier. A 10 and a 20 I'm told. I got a shaker but that was it. Lots of guys in power boats around so that played into it. Some fish around but not enough to come from Niagara IMO. snidley

so visited port credit and wow...

seem like even more boats out there than yesterday.

What is more wow is even more boats are concentrated closer to the mouth of the river and shores... yet nobody is fighting a fish.

I've actually seen 2 fish jump very near the shores but nobody caught any.

With 30+ temperature coming in few days... I guess salmons won't be coming too close to the shores.

Mikey

I was also there this morning, which one was you? I don't think you were one of the marshmellow gang LOL

I was using my Curado 300 Casting reel and St. Croix Avid. I helped one of the older gents land a 20lb + king @ 8:45 am this morning.

Jose

Guest canada

Don't be to concerned about summer temps bringing the fish in, they begin there staging and spawning activity due mostly to photo-period( the amount of daylight recieved). I've spent many a warm night in shorts and a t-shirt smashing kings off the piers.

Guest canada
I agree. The staging is happening. The run upstream is usually triggered by rain/cooler temps, but if not, the salmon still have to complete the cycle. There is no delay in their spawning mission.

It is after August 15th....so get down there to get your chance for one.

I've already started Tommy :P .......I was out 2:00 am saturday morning nothing :( , not enough photo-period :lol::lol: Don't worry I think Tuesday 2:00 am will be my next adventure they gotta show up soon :worthy::dunno:

i will be at port tonight, fishing for the salmon, will anyone be there tonight, maybe we can help eachother well let me know ill be going down there around 3am till daybreak if the action is good. ok well ill be on the pier with the bars and clubs. ok well let me know bye

i will be at port tonight, fishing for the salmon, will anyone be there tonight, maybe we can help eachother well let me know ill be going down there around 3am till daybreak if the action is good. ok well ill be on the pier with the bars and clubs. ok well let me know bye

I might be there tonight, but I'm not 100% sure yet. If I do go I'll be there around 2am. Just keep an eye out, I'll be wearing red and white hat with red symbol on it or in other words just look for a skinny guy wearing red and white hat.

I might be there tonight, but I'm not 100% sure yet. If I do go I'll be there around 2am. Just keep an eye out, I'll be wearing red and white hat with red symbol on it or in other words just look for a skinny guy wearing red and white hat.

ok no prb which pier you gonna be at

Mikey

I was also there this morning, which one was you? I don't think you were one of the marshmellow gang LOL

I was using my Curado 300 Casting reel and St. Croix Avid. I helped one of the older gents land a 20lb + king @ 8:45 am this morning.

Jose

No, I was NOT one of those gang who had their freakin' line out the water and sleeping.

I asked one of them if they could get the line out if he was going back to sleep and his answer was "WHY?"

and he just lay down again sleeping or something. I couldn't tell because it was dark. Maybe I should have cut off his line when I snagged the 2nd time, and I cast totally away from his line too... i thought i did.

Anyways... were you the one that had 2 rods? and fished at the tip end? If so, I was standing right next to you .

So someone did finally land a fish, eh? Was it the older gentleman that had the whitebucket as a seat?

Btw what lure did he catch with?

Don't be to concerned about summer temps bringing the fish in, they begin there staging and spawning activity due mostly to photo-period( the amount of daylight recieved). I've spent many a warm night in shorts and a t-shirt smashing kings off the piers.

I gotta disagree on that one. Early fish aren't going to show up at the pier in any #'s until the water temps get around 60. Part of the late run this year is all the rain dumping warm trib water into the harbours, keeping the dark fish off shore. My usual north shore pier hasn't seen much of anything, until the last few days when a strong north wind and a let up on the rain blew the warm water out, has been a nice 58 degrees a few feet down and whadda ya know, steady bouts of fresh fish coming in close at night.

well i just got back from my fishing expedition, and total fish landed was 0, total fish hooked 0, total percent of fun had 100%, total number of splashes heard 12 or so. anyways i fished both piers and nothing. oh well try again next week i guess...

Guest canada
I gotta disagree on that one. Early fish aren't going to show up at the pier in any #'s until the water temps get around 60. Part of the late run this year is all the rain dumping warm trib water into the harbours, keeping the dark fish off shore. My usual north shore pier hasn't seen much of anything, until the last few days when a strong north wind and a let up on the rain blew the warm water out, has been a nice 58 degrees a few feet down and whadda ya know, steady bouts of fresh fish coming in close at night.

Water temps can change from 80 to 60 in a day depending on the wind, what triggers the fish to make there yearly stage is genetics and photo-period. I agree if a pile of warm water sets up off the pier the fish may stage a mile or so out from the trib, but there still going to stage. Those north winds have brought the warm stuff over here and your right the fish are still out a ways from the pier. The wind has changed to S.W now and perhaps the warm stuff will blow out, the thing is if I'm going to wait around for consistent 60 water I'll miss all the action, that won't come till late sept when the lake turns over and trust me the ole black boots will be set up in the trib by then. The water can be 60 in mid July but there will be no salmon around, the salmon will stage and will run the tribs eventually wether the water temp is optimum or not the urge to spawn will overtake the urge for comfort. You are right in the fact that cooler water will bring them in closer and also make them more aggresive and more likely to smash your bait.

:D Just a reminder about fishing the pier's. NO GOBIES for bait,you can't even have them in a pail or it will cost you big time.No more warnings just a ticket. For the guy's that are fishing with two rods DON'T GET CAUGHT. You can only use 1 rod from shore it's 2 from a boat only. Also the CO'S are showing up at all time of the night and they leave their uniform at home.So the guy you could be fishing beside could ene up giving you a ticket :unsure: . Please read the regs and know the rules. I just droped off 6 cases of regs at PETER'S BAIT SHOP so if you don't have one get one they are free. Its better than a ticket. Our CO has told me that they are going to be around alot more seeing that the Niagara area is the highest in tips calls so you will see them more and more. Good fishing. Catfish

No, I was NOT one of those gang who had their freakin' line out the water and sleeping.

I asked one of them if they could get the line out if he was going back to sleep and his answer was "WHY?"

and he just lay down again sleeping or something. I couldn't tell because it was dark. Maybe I should have cut off his line when I snagged the 2nd time, and I cast totally away from his line too... i thought i did.

Anyways... were you the one that had 2 rods? and fished at the tip end? If so, I was standing right next to you .

So someone did finally land a fish, eh? Was it the older gentleman that had the whitebucket as a seat?

Btw what lure did he catch with?

Yes sir

That was me, next time I will know and chat a bit. It was the older gent sitting on the pail that caught it, nice guy offered me the fish cause I helped him. Spoon was huge rainbow colour.

The marshellow guys took up quite a section of the rocks, did not bother me though, I just stepped in and started casting until they finally left. Sleeping, I guess I woke him up cranking out those spoons LOL

Yeh, two rods the other was way too light and I did not realize how light it was.

Jose

The water can be 60 in mid July but there will be no salmon around.........

You'd be surprised........ :unsure:

I like using this to plan my night, very handy tool. You're fishing off Port D tonight? I'm hitting up Bronte, got spooled last night......wanna wager on which pier will have more fish in? :D

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/glcfs....ype=N&hr=00

Hey CLofchik. I snagged on some line in front of the dark pier at Bronte this morning. Lot of line that looked like a spool job. I however only hooked up a shaker all morning. There were fish out at 45 feet to about 100feet (I think I didn't go that deep) Trollers didn't do that well either. Right now (9:15) we are in our second downpour of the evening Snidley

Question to those who have already landed some salmons.

Did your salmons swam away successfully?

*The reason I am asking this question is because last year my early in season catches were not able to swim or became a floater after short burst of swim... which I thought was swimming away~. And I brought the fish in fairly fast as I like to have my drag little tighter to the point where I wanted to see if I could break my rod in half.

Now, fish not being able to swim back is result of warmer water? or have I done something wrong? I've seen some people who took long time to get the fish in and did a torpedo release and salmon swam off just fine. Than again a lot of people actually take fish or ask if anyone want to take it... and usually someone does take it.

Any thoughts?

Hey CLofchik. I snagged on some line in front of the dark pier at Bronte this morning. Lot of line that looked like a spool job.

Heh sowry, if it was 20lb PowerPro with a chunk of mono backing that was me. You didn't happen to find the lure did ya, had that home painted spoon for seven years and it never failed to produce......<sniff> it was a favourite. The ignorant kid working the counter at an unnamed tackle shop (um...Angling Terra...Fishy Earth...) flat out refused to fill my spool if I didn't let him put some mono backing on first, missing that extra 50m cost me big :unsure:

Armed with 250m now, a little less nervous hooking into the freight trains that decide to take off to Rochester.

The bite has been coming on around midnight, dying out around 04:00 with a few dinged around dawn.

Mikey, the fresh fish fight hard, and that takes a good toll out of them, especially the bigg'uns. If I get them in quick they get the torpedo release, but usually I'll babysit them with the net for a few minutes having a post-salmon smoke. The trick is to keep them upright, once they go belly up they have a hard time righting themselves under their own power. With a little help they seem to recuperate quicker and are usually gone in under 5mins. There are some that are just goners though, the hens that don't make it are my skein supply, males I just let go and hope for the best.

BTW -- Here's a DIY primer I did on making cheap salmon chucking spoons in another forum, I'm too lazy to repost it so I'll just hotlink it.

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23040

Guest canada
You'd be surprised........ ^_^

I like using this to plan my night, very handy tool. You're fishing off Port D tonight? I'm hitting up Bronte, got spooled last night......wanna wager on which pier will have more fish in? :D

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/glcfs....ype=N&hr=00

Thanks for link, thats a real good site to check before going out :unsure: ......I'm screwed over here right now high north winds not only packing in the warm stuff but making it way to rough and nasty for pier chucking :( It's real tough to chuck spoons when the 4'-6' ers are busting over the pier, the worst is with outflow from Port the waves grow another 1' and get really nasty. I'll have to wait around for this front to move and calm things out abit.

Sorry to here of the spooling, I havn't yet let that happen been close but I just tighten things up put the boots down something is going to give somtimes the fish other times the hook, split ring or rarely the braid :D. You should have alittle mono backing to stop the braid form spinning on the spool although medical adheasive tape around the spool will do the same trick ;)

Guest canada
Heh sowry, if it was 20lb PowerPro with a chunk of mono backing that was me. You didn't happen to find the lure did ya, had that home painted spoon for seven years and it never failed to produce......<sniff> it was a favourite. The ignorant kid working the counter at an unnamed tackle shop (um...Angling Terra...Fishy Earth...) flat out refused to fill my spool if I didn't let him put some mono backing on first, missing that extra 50m cost me big :D

Armed with 250m now, a little less nervous hooking into the freight trains that decide to take off to Rochester.

The bite has been coming on around midnight, dying out around 04:00 with a few dinged around dawn.

Mikey, the fresh fish fight hard, and that takes a good toll out of them, especially the bigg'uns. If I get them in quick they get the torpedo release, but usually I'll babysit them with the net for a few minutes having a post-salmon smoke. The trick is to keep them upright, once they go belly up they have a hard time righting themselves under their own power. With a little help they seem to recuperate quicker and are usually gone in under 5mins. There are some that are just goners though, the hens that don't make it are my skein supply, males I just let go and hope for the best.

BTW -- Here's a DIY primer I did on making cheap salmon chucking spoons in another forum, I'm too lazy to repost it so I'll just hotlink it.

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23040

Another great link to making your own glows :unsure: .......I'm to lazy, I buy them for around $3.00 a piece at Petes I do change the hooks but the split rings are good. I can also buy the blanks I found out not sure what the damage is on those ^_^ , your right though I find colour not to be that big a deal either although I do prefer glow/green it seems to be the brightest and last the longest. The blue is good at times but dosn't last as long with reds and pinks fading out the quickest.Most of the salmon I torpedo and they take off but some will go belly up but they usually get going like CLofchik says if they don't take off get them back in the net and revive them for abit. The thing is I don't know how many times I've tried to grab them up again in the net a splash there gone, sometimes alittle poke is all it takes to get them going.The thing is these fish are on there last few weeks of life so if you loose one it's no big deal, the fish are stocked for the reason to be caught so if they fight to the death they done there intended job. Now all the tree huggers and Peta dudes will be all over me for that statment, but it is what it is, the fish are stocked on a put and take system by anglers to provide sport for anglers.

Another great link to making your own glows :unsure: .......I'm to lazy, I buy them for around $3.00 a piece at Petes I do change the hooks but the split rings are good. I can also buy the blanks I found out not sure what the damage is on those :D , your right though I find colour not to be that big a deal either although I do prefer glow/green it seems to be the brightest and last the longest. The blue is good at times but dosn't last as long with reds and pinks fading out the quickest.Most of the salmon I torpedo and they take off but some will go belly up but they usually get going like CLofchik says if they don't take off get them back in the net and revive them for abit. The thing is I don't know how many times I've tried to grab them up again in the net a splash there gone, sometimes alittle poke is all it takes to get them going.The thing is these fish are on there last few weeks of life so if you loose one it's no big deal, the fish are stocked for the reason to be caught so if they fight to the death they done there intended job. Now all the tree huggers and Peta dudes will be all over me for that statment, but it is what it is, the fish are stocked on a put and take system by anglers to provide sport for anglers.

Do a lot of people here use braid for casting or or mono. I used braid before and when I tried to cast the the lure out there far it would catch on itself and break. I don't think I had 20lbs on though, maybe 8lb as that is what I use now for my mono. Could it be that I was using too small of a diameter line? Any ideas?

JFish

Archived