Too Early for Pier Fishing?

mikeymikey

I too using a 8'5 Gatorback Its a good rod for the price Think I payed around 40 bucks at Peter's 2 years ago. My reel is a $8 southbend and it the best reel ive had Last year was the earlier I caught salmon off Port D pier Aug 13 It was around 9am off a spoon Ended up with 5 that morning guess I got lucky. As for spoons I like the ones in Peter's Tackle bucket. The glow isn't to over powering which seems to help me over the long lasting glow Don't forget to buy your SCGF Fall Salmon Derby ticket It can be won from shore and PLEASE CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF it only takes a minute.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My best night pier fishing landed 23 for gawd knows how many hookups. Was a crazy night and there was only a half dozen people on Bronte pier. Last year my best night was eight for six hours of fishing.

Most of the time I only use one lure, home made glo's from Len Thompson's #4 (5/8oz.) The longer spoons have a bit more wobble than the Cleo's, and making them yourself they only cost $2 a piece.

I've had killer days with cranks, but they're almost always darker fish. After they've been sitting in the harbour for awhile they turn off spoons and want a wobbling crank. FT Canadian Wigglers, rattling cranks (my sleeper bait are the old style Cordell Salmon Spot), even diving walleye lures will tag salmon.

Most browns I've seen caught are either on roe, or on smaller spoons right at dawn. Very few seem to be caught on glo spoons at night. Same with steel, but that's at Port Credit & Bronte, Port Dalhousie might be different because of increased trout #'s.

My best night pier fishing landed 23 for gawd knows how many hookups. Was a crazy night and there was only a half dozen people on Bronte pier. Last year my best night was eight for six hours of fishing.

Most of the time I only use one lure, home made glo's from Len Thompson's #4 (5/8oz.) The longer spoons have a bit more wobble than the Cleo's, and making them yourself they only cost $2 a piece.

I've had killer days with cranks, but they're almost always darker fish. After they've been sitting in the harbour for awhile they turn off spoons and want a wobbling crank. FT Canadian Wigglers, rattling cranks (my sleeper bait are the old style Cordell Salmon Spot), even diving walleye lures will tag salmon.

Most browns I've seen caught are either on roe, or on smaller spoons right at dawn. Very few seem to be caught on glo spoons at night. Same with steel, but that's at Port Credit & Bronte, Port Dalhousie might be different because of increased trout #'s.

Hello and Welcome.

Wow.. you really need to work out your arms to prepare for a night like that. huh

When kings first started coming up the river to the whirlpool , (25 -30) years ago ......we used #3 & #4 Mepps spinners & they worked great . The action from the large blades seem to catch their attention & the large trebles ensured a good hook up . I don't see people using the Mepps or other large spinner baits these days.........I think a "glow blade" would work great .

.....we used #3 & #4 Mepps spinners & they worked great . The action from the large blades seem to catch their attention & the large trebles ensured a good hook up . I don't see people using the Mepps or other large spinner baits these days.........

I always have one or two big Mepps that I've glo'd the blade on, can be a real sleeper on those slow nights when they won't touch a spoon. Mine are old Musky Killers that pike have destroyed the tail on. Problem is they snag up easier than a spoon with a single hook, snag weeds, and they are really a one fish lure. Catch a big chinook on a Mepps and it will never run right again, the wire gets all crazy bent.

I've been laying the hurt on night time sheepshead lately, but still no 1st chinook. My bones are starting to twitch though, and the air smells right, have a good feeling about this week.

Guest canada
I too using a 8'5 Gatorback Its a good rod for the price Think I payed around 40 bucks at Peter's 2 years ago. My reel is a $8 southbend and it the best reel ive had Last year was the earlier I caught salmon off Port D pier Aug 13 It was around 9am off a spoon Ended up with 5 that morning guess I got lucky. As for spoons I like the ones in Peter's Tackle bucket. The glow isn't to over powering which seems to help me over the long lasting glow Don't forget to buy your SCGF Fall Salmon Derby ticket It can be won from shore and PLEASE CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF it only takes a minute.

Hey Jay will meet up with you and Brandon soon, there's no current flowing this week with the Henely on so I don't think I'm going out till next week when the flow is back on an things get back to normal :rolleyes: .........should be a few starting to show up soon :dunno:

Are there any body lures (Crank bait, Rapala J13 and similar) that is painted to glow?

I have tried those glow in dark stickers but not only do those don't glow much it peels off and don't stick too well either.

What are salmons thinking when they see a glowing bait fish? Fish that has been dipped in a radio active chemical or something?

They don't seem to have a problem finding non-glo cranks at night, I used to use a glo paint you'd brush on and I didn't notice a differance between a glo Canadian Wiggler and a non-glo. Just reel slow & steady, if they want it they'll smack it.

I've tried putting on the small glo sticks bottom guys use for their rod tips, and it seemed to spook them.

Guest niagarariverpro

not a fan of salmon but i sure am waiting for the STEEL...

highs this week 21-24 should help with cooler nights..

1 more week and you salmon guys will be into them....

i would say the 17th a good time to start...

With all this rain , which is coming down steady now , and the cooler temperatutes ( unusual for August) , the kings should be stacking up near Dalhousie , but the lack of current becuase of the regatta this week , diminishes the outflow which would normally send the signal (scent) way out into the lake that triggers the annual run into the harbour . The forecast for August is lower than normal temperatures , which should give us an early run of kings .

Guest canada

I think next week when they turn the flow on it should trigger a few fish to start to stack up a bit :angry2: ....at least I hope it brings some in at night........I'll be giving it a try again next week and we'll see whats what :rolleyes:

A bit off topic, I just realize that 99% of my port D fishing was on west pier, and most of the people casting glow is fishing on the west pier. So I am guessing there're nothing much on the east side? I ask because the west is so packed it is scary with all the spoon flying all over.

Spinner , the west side has Timmies ! :Gonefishing: Under normal conditions , the current runs out of there in a N.E. direction . I don't know how the salmon that are west of the piers know where the channel is , maybe they hear your rattles in those crank baits ! :Gonefishing:

mikeymikey......that question has 1000 different answers ! Some of us can't wait for ice & say salmon suck ........others like the hot season & early morning bassing & evening walleye etc. I will take the fall season as best for shore fishing for many species and ice fishing for fun & excercise ..............and the fish taste better ! :Gonefishing:

Guest canada
A bit off topic, I just realize that 99% of my port D fishing was on west pier, and most of the people casting glow is fishing on the west pier. So I am guessing there're nothing much on the east side? I ask because the west is so packed it is scary with all the spoon flying all over.

Lot of fish caught off the Eastside aswell, but the crowds can be there aswell. When the fish are in strong it really dosn't matter even 1/2 way out on the pier can produce some nice fish

On the west pier there is a rock hump or something out about 10 o'clock (looking north) just out from normal casting distance that seems to attract them too.

This week there was a 12lb Steelhead caught on the pier at 16 Mile Creek in Oakville on a Blue Fox "shallow" spinner in perch color. I know this because I had to unbutton the fish as the angler was unprepared to land such a trophy. No pliers. Unfortunately by the time I got to the fish one of the shore anglers had lifted the fish by the gill plate and nicked the gill and the fish bled out in front of us. It's only a fish but the guy who caught it wanted to let it go but the mishandleing and unpreparedness killed it for no reason. It was a shame because it was one of the most beautiful Steelies I had ever seen and a female to boot. I've caught 8 small Chinnooks there from my kickboat already as well. I know it goes against conventional wisdom but J13 are WAYYYY too big a lure to be throwing for Salmon once the light is up (unless the water is stained, then it's a great lure). They are very cautious in the light and I find that small lures are far better at hooking up to Kings inshore during daylight periods. If you see salmon rising they are scared and looking around to locate danger. At this time small crankbaits/stickbaits are best. I use Lucky Crafts, Jackals and other finesse Japanese lures but i realize these lures are too expensive for most pier chuckers. I would suggest that if you can't go with the Japanese "A" team try Bass Pro shops XPS Nitro Minnows. I use the small 3 1/2" size mostly but from the pier you can't get much distance on them. The 4" model works also and it's heavy so you can really wing it. Last year I did well with Lymans on the advice of one of the pier chuckers at Bronte but again at night or in dirty water. I never bother with spoons or spinners once the light comes up either. My best day for Salmon last season was 17 for 25 but I have the advantage of using Japanese lures and a kickboat so I can move around and follow the fish as well as troll for them. Once the light is up Salmon are notorious followers that need a long time to observe the lure before striking so lighter line, flurocarbon line, high quality realistic lures that match the colour of what the salmon have been feeding on will get you more fish maybe even double digits. I'm going to try some of those new hollow bodied soft plastic swimbaits that Bass anglers are using these days as well. As far as Brown Trout are concerned they are a very aggressive minnow feeder that can be caught using high quality finess jerkbaits/ crankbaits as well but they have the best eyesight of all the Salmonoids and they are very line shy as well as colour concious. You need a big tacklebox full of different colours and actions to do well with them. Steelies will hit cranks and stickbaits also but again they can be unbelievably picky and their mood can change in an instant. With all Salmonoids scent is also a big factor. I don't know for sure if they like applied scent or the applied scent covers up the smell of us on a lure but i do know that Yum Crayfish, Gulp Crayfish, WD -40 solvent, Mike's Gel Scent in Anchovy, Smelt and Anise all bump up the catch rate for me. I even rub dead minnows all over my lures and that works too.

The final thing I have found to help catch more inshore Salmonoids is that you must avoid powerboats at all costs (hard to do at Port D I realize). The idiots that troll powerboats inshore catch very few fish but effectively ruin the efforts of guys on shore or stealthy anglers in kickboats, float tubes or canoes. At Bronte the goofs in the boats hammer the throttle the instant they reach the end of the pier and hit the lake ruining the fishing for 40 or 50 guys on the pier with their noise. No wonder their cars and trucks get vandalized. I've had these same jerks troll by me within 10 yards dragging Lymans and Rapalas with no regard to the fact that they are spooking the fish. The amazing thing is that they continue to do this while catching almost nothing. Last year I was out almost every day and of the multitude of boat anglers I observed I saw them catch only 3 fish ALL SEASON!. Talk about goobers, how could you get up early in the morning knowing that's the best you can do. Anyway it's almost time so I'll be watching and posting to this thread. Snidley

hmm maybe i should try more of... suspending lures like rapala husky? (if i can cast it out far enough)

maybe xrap?

X-Rap. It's a clone of one of the A Team which is a Jackal Squad Minnow. I'd say Blue/Silver, Black/Silver or the Purple top /cream sided version and in the #8 and#10 size

i say it's never too early for pier fishing, cause with the temps dropping and all this rain the circus will be back in town very very soon. You might have the pier all to yourself, and that is not always a bad thing.

Using my kickboat I can often find Chinnooks and Steelhead in close , at night and early morning as early as July 1st (that was last year). Often the key is wind direction. Here in Oakville if we get an offshore wind for a few days that wind will blow warm surface water out into the lake and cool water will replace it. If the waters the right temperature(cool qbout 55 to 65 degrees) the Ailwives will seek it out and as we know from trolling the lake the predators follow the bait. Last year there were Chinnooks up Oakville Creek to the train bridge on July long weekend and Chinnooks also showed up at the eastern lighthouse on Bronte on the August long weekend. The year before it was Steelhead in thick for a whole week around the August long weekend and I caught about 30 of them over a few days. As I said this week there was a 12lb Steelie caught on Tuesday at Oakville creek pier and I caught 8 baby chinnies over last weekend and Tuesday about 10 yards off the lighthouse pier there. The key prior to staging is to locate bait and by the way when you hook up a sliver Chinnook on bass gear be sure to hold on tight and have your drag set correctly or snapity snap there will go your lure or even worse your rod and reel.. LOL. Snidley

Just a quick question:<br /><br />I live in Toronto and wouldn't mind visiting PortD for the first time.<br />One critical equipment I do not have is a ... long handled net. How long of a handle net would I need?<br />Do Pete's have good selection of net I can buy? But most importantly,,, it's gotta be able to fit in to the trunk of my Civic Sedan (would this be limiting too much?)<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br /><br />Sorry, one more question regarding water condition. When water is somewhat dirty'er? due to rain, what would be the best choice of lure? When sun is up and water ISN'T clear shouldn't I be using something flashy/rattle? But Snidley said J13 can be a killer at non-clear water?

Just a quick question:<br /><br />I live in Toronto and wouldn't mind visiting PortD for the first time.<br />One critical equipment I do not have is a ... long handled net. How long of a handle net would I need?<br />Do Pete's have good selection of net I can buy? But most importantly,,, it's gotta be able to fit in to the trunk of my Civic Sedan (would this be limiting too much?)<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br /><br />Sorry, one more question regarding water condition. When water is somewhat dirty'er? due to rain, what would be the best choice of lure? When sun is up and water ISN'T clear shouldn't I be using something flashy/rattle? But Snidley said J13 can be a killer at non-clear water?

I like Orange J13 but Firetiger, White, Chartruse all work So do Lymans, J Plugs, Jointed Fast Tracs, Cdn Wigglers, Mag Tadpoly (they are often really good) or if the water is deep like the S'hwa, you can throw Mag Wiggle Warts and Diving Jointed Rogues. I like Orange J13's like I said,lol. Snidley

Guest markiez
I like Orange J13 but Firetiger, White, Chartruse all work So do Lymans, J Plugs, Jointed Fast Tracs, Cdn Wigglers, Mag Tadpoly (they are often really good) or if the water is deep like the S'hwa, you can throw Mag Wiggle Warts and Diving Jointed Rogues. I like Orange J13's like I said,lol. Snidley

Hey Snidley. Just wondering what rod/reel set-up you're using when salmon are pulling you around Lake Ontario in your kick boat. LOL If I see you out there I'll try not to snag you with my 2 1/2 oz buzzbombs and 200lb braided line. Sorry, that last line was too funny to resist. I'll shut up now and be a good boy. By the way I use a Daiwa Luna 256L or Daiwa Zillion reel filled with 8-10lb Suffix Siege line. I'm going to try Daiwa Samurai braided line this fall and see if it works any better.

Archived