MADE IN CANADA

Dan Andrews

Well if the economic situation wasn't in your minds the last few months, its going to be coming to a household near you soon. Personally I blame this situation on us. Yes I put the majority of the blame squarely on me and you. You see the lowest price has been the law for the last 10-15 years. Companies that couldn't compete with this buying power were forced to move to foreign Countries where labour is cheap and business isn't over regulated and held back by red tape.

I for one have always been a fan of the MADE IN CANADA label. Nothing pleases me more than adding a MADE IN CANADA sticker to a product destined for CHINA. Although I make a point of buying Canadian most of the time, I am a Wal-mart shopper. I remember when they first opened here they advertised at least 50% Canadian produced goods and they did. We got hooked on the convenience and slowly and quietly that % number dropped.

Well if you haven't noticed the % of Canadian produced goods have dropped. We've exhausted our buying power by putting ourselves out of a job along with all our fellow workers. If your still working, you've got to be sweating because nothing is for sure but death and taxes. When you do get laid off, your going to find that jobs don't pay as much as they did 10 years ago! You now can't afford Canadian made product!

It finally hit me yesterday when I went into Marks Work Warehouse to but a pair of work boots. I looked at the labels but their were no work boots MADE IN CANADA. Only some tall rubber rain boots. All the work boots were made in Thailand, Mexico or China which is suiting because that's where all the jobs are going.

I've been watching for the MADE IN CANADA label everywhere I shop and can tell you Wal-mart couldn't possibly fill its store with Canadian produced goods. It's just not available in most products. Try finding a toaster MADE IN CANADA or for that matter, made anywhere other than CHINA. I find allot of Canadian product in Zellers but I pay for it too. Nice to have the choice.

MADE IN CANADA matters. It matters to those of us looking for work, to those of us who care that environmental standards are met and to the taxpayer who want their money in their pocket, not a executives pocket after a bailout just before his plant moves to Mexico. Buy Canadian and keep the jobs here where we can monitor how its made and keep our jobs, and create spin off jobs and demand a quality, earth friendly product.

:) MADE IN CANADA :lol:

There are lots of goods still manufactured in Canada. You just won't find them at the convenience mart, Wally world, CTC, or numerous China marts across the province. Even our sport, an Asian dominated manufacturing industry, has its local producers.

Just have to look for them. Be careful, there are a lot of "Canadian" brands that now have their products manufactured in the Pacific Rim.

2 ways to hide point of origin on the labelling laws:

Instead of saying Made in Canada, they will say produced for/ made for ____________ Co.

or the other cheat Packaged in Canada

It is well known that the average consumer does not look too carefully at the label, and they get away with it.

As I understand it ...

even products made right here in Canada are more often than not made in foreign owned companies. Ever since I have been in high school I have had a keen interest in the Alberta tar sands. Over the years The price to watch for was 55 dollars a barrel. At that price it would become economically feasable to start oil production in Canada. I had been watching the price per barrel steadily climb until all of a sudden, in a flurry of price hikes the price went way over the 60 dollar mark. I thought wow this is great for Canada. we have joined the ranks of the world's filthy rich oil producing nations.WRONG... I watched a documentary on TV about a month ago. After 2 years of production, oil is now flowing. The amount of oil that is now flowing, is the same as kuwait produces, but it's flowing south. Every oil producing country in the world charges a royalty on every barrel of oil leaving the country, except Canada. Canada is not benefitting one IOTA from the rich oil reserves in alberta and saskatchewan. Our govrnment has sold us out. The oil-rich land was all sold to foreign companies along with the mineral rights. Therefore the foreign companies now own the oil. True there is a big labor boom out west, with many Canadians earning more money than they ever thought possible, but residents of Alberta not associated with oil production can't afford to live there anymore. The oil industry has produced an artificially high economy, with prices of land, food, and everything else sky-rocketing. Unfortunately the only people who can afford these prices are the oil-field employees. Native Albertans can't afford to live there anymore

What we desperately need is World savvy national leadership whose loyalties lie with the country, and the people in it. Not the politicians we have grown accustomed to, who line their own pockets, and those of their friends. Putting patriots in office will be the first step towards the economic and social recovery of this country.

Other areas that require desperate attention are:

--the education system

--the immigration practices (I am not a racist, however the last census showed, that of Canadian citizens at this time, only 40% of us were actually born here.)

--Social development (make it easier for canadians to have children, single mothers included)

I'm sure there is much more to be said, but it's only

:P:worthy::lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BRIAN P

HELLO EVERYONE,

In a perfect world there wouldn't be any "collateral damage". With the advancement of technology and forever changing GREED, the suttle days are surpassed and no more sunday family dinners. "One dollars' too many", "A million is not enough". However, the truth is whether one is in Canada, New York, or Tin-Buck-too there will be those who HAVE and those who WISH they have. Unfortunately, the ones that get hit hardest is the AVERAGE man, women, and child(the very backbone of AMERICA). If you were born into wealth or SMART enough to build an empire, there will be collaterall damage for those who don't have the POWER. Perfect ex. The name NIKE- KNOWN ALL OVER THE WORLD. the individual who came up with "NIKE" has copyrights and so on. This board of trustees don't have manufactoring facilities, so what happens He outsets this name to a particular manufactoring- gets paid billions just for name doesn't have to do no LABOR, then SAME MANUFACTORING COMPANY(actually located in Vietnam) has work camps where there workers are paid minumum wage($1. hr($1. a day)- 16 hrs a day- 2 week straight- one day off- but can't leave these camps).

Now, "one" has to be honest: if you owned the rights to particular product- then paid billions without having the headaches along with productions, who wouldn't hesitate. The reality, the Global emphasis of taking care of the "little Guy"- still exist but theres a big PRICE

I don't think we can shop our way out of it. We have to face the fact that cheap labour combined with modern manufacturing and transportation means Asia has too great of an advantage.

We will never change our ways. Your answer to the problem is proof in it's self. We will be a service, technology and resource based economy. If we are to have a manufacturing sector it will have to make things that you can't put in a container and ship here.

Guest BOWED-UP

It took a long time to get where we are now, Unfortunately it will take longer to undo, rectify, relinguish and just plain solve, the good news "THANK GOD FOR FISHING AND HUNTING EQUIPMENT, O'H YEAH BUDWEISER

I keep hearing people saying its too late, the jobs are lost, the inevitable has happened. Hogwash!

This is Canada. We have the means at our disposal to make our country great, or hide our heads in the snow. People got through the depression and managed. Have Canadians lost their drive and ambition?

There are Canadian manufacturers out there making Canadian goods. Buy them!. Look for that maple leaf on the label. You are keeping Canadian jobs in Canada. Maybe your neighbour. Maybe your cousin may benefit from that purchase. There are people on this board who produce their own domestic products. They may not have the slick packaging and ad dollars but they are just as good or better than the foreign knockoffs. To say that the global shift in manufacturing is inevitable is defeatism.

It is only inevitable if we are willing to accept cheaply made, low quality goods. We choose to buy cheap foreign crap and then cry because they are taking away our jobs. We whine because the plastics contain hazardous materials dangerous to our health. Yet like any other "junkie" we keep buying our cheap Asian fix. $100 in dollar store purchases is equal to a year's wages in many countries, but they won't be buying anything you make. They won't be supporting your economy. The pacific rim is notorious for its ability to produce cheap knockoffs of copyrighted and patented products developed in North America. Buying their garbage just cuts our own throats.

You choose. For better or worse it is your decision.

Guest BOWED-UP

I agree profusely. I'ts not a culture thing it's a GREED THING. Humans are creatures of habit and spoiled. Instant gratification overwhelms the majority and "and the "old days" memories. If we are honest, each and everyone is in some way responsible. Fast food, fast cars and ,now the global distrought is in crossfire between "what was" and the vicious cycle of greed. But like various "species on earth", survival of the fistest. "Thank god for great outdoors" when other things don't make sense!

With over half of the Canadian population living paycheck to paycheck,

there is no way they are going to be willing to change their buying habits.

Go into your local Wally store. Go up to a few people and tell them to

spend more and buy Canadian, or go to a store that sells more Canadian

products to save our economy.

They will look at you as if you are nuts. Not going to happen.

The people have been systematicly turned into mindless buying machines,

looking for the best possible price.

If people aren't buying Canadian made today, very, very few are going to

start now.

Has absolutely nothing to do with drive and ambition.

It's about the basic natural instinct, which

is for people to survive.

In the past there were lots of hardships.

Today, there are very few challenges Canadians have to deal with.

With everything at the publics finger tips life is pretty good. Specially compared

to many third world countries.

And if one can't make it on their own here, there is welfare.

Each and everyone is in some way responsible for sure.

But, if the many many doors where never open to begin

with, we would never be in this mess.

But as Bill said in another post, things are changing and people had

better learn to read the warning signs and tighten their belts.

Years ago Corporations persistantly kept lobbying the government to

let more and more off shore products into our country.

Stores like Wallyworld, saw the opportunity to make billions, as did

K-Mart and similar stores before them. The shift in manufacturing is a

result of these massively huge corporations which are gaining a monopoly

on consumer products. And when the competition is next to nothing, then

be prepared to pay more for these products as there will be nowhere else

to go.

The government opened these doors years ago, letting the cheap stuff in

from other countries.

Only when the government closes those doors will Canadians be forced

to buy Canadian made.

That simple. Close the doors.

And we all know that's not going to happen.

This summer we saw gas prices reach $1.40 per litre & oil hit $140. per barrel & we were told we could see $2.00/lt at the pumps .......look where it is now ! It may drop to $30 a barrel !!!.....what's going on ???? Games are being played & certain people are getting filthy rich while the masses slide into poverty like we haven't seen for over 70 yrs. If oil was to hit $200 or more per barrel , the shipping costs from the other side of the globe would be very high . But , probably these costs are tax deductable for these giant corporations & the costs would then show up at the till . We have all the "ingrediences" right under our feet ,but we ship out our raw materials to other countries only to have the finished product shipped back to us....We could have our own Canadian made car with all the resources we have and not have to clog up our hwys. with thousands of transports. When I worked at GM ,Glendale plant, they melted steel at one end & had a running engine at the other end . They could have gone further & made a finished car right there & eliminated so much transportation costs . That would have given us a vehicle that would be almost 100% Canadian . If gas went to $3 per litre & the corps. found it cheaper to manufacture here , I would say we would be better off .......

BTW .....that little red & white flag can be added to any clothing .....it's called counterfeit labling & it is happening.

So, in essence KF, Canadians are sheep, and have no will of their own, and will only shop Canadian if the government forces the sheep to do so.

Looking at the statistics it appears most will shop for the cheapest price.

The thousands of Ma and Pa shops that have closed across north america

supports that Canadians and Americans are interested in the lowest price,

not whats best for the countries and economy.

Patriotic citizens can complain all they want about buying locally made products but sadly enough it will probably always be that way. Looking for the best deal is and always will be a priority for most consumers out there, whether it's to just help scrape by or help stay wealthy.

I would like to buy a GOOD pair of boots for icefishing .....not Kamik or Sorels which come from China , but some thing of quality !

Low & behold , I saw this on the weather channel today .........A company right here in Stoney Creek that makes Baffin boots etc......

I think Marks Work Warehouse has them ....will have a look see.......

http://www.baffin.com/Comersus7F/store/com...sp?idProduct=66

Guest BOWED-UP

That's exactly right. There are some friends I know that are so wealthy, worrying about a budget has no significants, but they are conscience about how they do spend. It boils down to own personal edicate, the values that were installed in them. There are friends I know that have champayne taste, beer bottle budget, but frivolousey spend knowing damn well can't afford but they have to have the best. Whether it means going out of their homeland to do. So whats the answer?. The actual value verses cost of living has significantley changed therefor forcing the average paycheck to paycheck to get the best deal, while the corporate world holds the cards- MONOPOLY-. BUT STILL THE SAME IT DOESN'T SOLVE. United we stand, divided we fall!

I would have no problem buying all Canadian or American, it's too bad you don't know where there made even if they have the sticker. I have heard they can put the "made in Canada" sticker on even if it's just the actually sticker that was made in Canada, product could be made in Egypt but they had the sticker made in Canada so it's Canadian. I always thought GM and Ford were North American cars until I got into the auto industry and now I see it's all a big crock of BS. I believe it's all about who we let in power, you never seen a normal blue collared worker get in anywhere high up, by the time they become President or Prime Minister they are already set financially for life. They don't give a crap about us normal people, trying to get by week to week, month to month. Not until there pockets start feeling it like now, do we hear anything. There has always been poor people, why is it a recession now? Cause the guys with the big bucks are feeling it! This stuff get's me so frustrated, trying to live a honest life, while some people with money can bend the rules to there liking and get away with murder. I should have robbed a bank when they still had money lol.

So.....I go to Home Hardware for some rope for my fish hut & I saw this set of hat, scarf & gloves ,all bright red with a big "Canada" written on them . There was a white tab on them with a little red Canadian flag which is meant to imply it was made in Canada......Upon further searching, I found a small tag inside the toque at the very top inside , which said .....made in China :rolleyes: ....deceptive or what ? Yep , even H.H. has gone Chinese with most of their stuff ......I passed by some Canadian flags......but was afraid to look at the labels....... <_<

Well, I think it would be pretty hard to convince the masses to buy locally produced goods or Canadian produced goods when you can't even get them to shop at Canadian owned big box and department stores. Look at Zellers vs Wally, same stuff on the shelves same price point (very similar prices just don't end in .93 or .97), better service in Zeller's yet where are the crowds of people? Any Guesses? Wally's????????? I just don't get it. I do not go into Waaly's anymore. I make a point to shop at Zeller's over Walmart.

Now before anyone jumps on me I know HBC (Zeller's included) is no longer Canadian, any guesses why? Look at the lack of customers. I also know they are selling Chinese, Tiwanese, etc crap, The point was that how can you get consumers to buy Canadian Goods when you can't even get them in a Canadian owned stores, when they were Canadian owned. Same goes with HD vs. Rona or HH.

I try to buy local goods, are at least shop at local stores, I like to buy Ontario fruits and veggies, I buy Canadian beers (I like the micro brews better than the major brands), and Whiskey (Try 40 Creek rye mmm):D I like going to farmers markets to see what the local smoked sausage guys have etc. But like others have said, local/Canadian goods are hard to find.

I know there are those on this board that sell their wares, and I would be interested in those wares. The problem isn't they few who recognize the problem it is the masses. The average dad that wants to get equipment to take his little tyke fishing isn't going to buy Custom Rods from Cliff, he is going to buy a couple cheap combos from CT or Wally. Same with his lures etc. He is not going to buy Ugly boyz baits, he will buy an armfull of cheap offshore lures etc. Some of the reason is price, I am sure althought these local producers are not makng a killing they cannot produce a rod for $20, nor would they if they could as the quality would be SH!# and they have pride, the other reason is convenience. Go in and out with a load full of cheap stuff in 1/2 hour. Apply this model to any number goods.

That is why at Christmas I didn't ask for any of this foreign made stuff. I prefer to give and recieve hand made gifts with thought, Such as knitted socks and touque, homemade jams (from Grandma using wild berries), as for what I give...my wife has got into making jewellery we give, we frame pictures of our children for grandparents/great grandparents. We have done art for our families, baskets of local handmade soaps etc.

I have now lost myself in my rant of incoherentness ;):angry2:

I learned a very important piece of logic 30 years ago. It still stands true today.

Was engaged to a multimillionaire who told me that his wealth was because of his parents that had adopted his sister and himself. They were not wealthy people.

They went without and both the kids got hand-me-downs (can't get back any money spent on kids cloths), but when they did purchase it was something that retained it's value.

I saw first hand how that worked for this couple. Now this guy was smart too, youngest to pass the brokerage exam. He too was careful with

where he spent his money.

We have all come so far from that kind of thinking. I see parents paying 3-4-5 and 6 hounded dollars for a game set, with extras,

for very young children. How does that TEACH them anything, HELP them in their future? No resale value what so ever.

We have far too many children, young adults, people in their 30's without a clue what value means. Paying too much for something you don't need,

can't afford and just trying to impress the people you don't like.

As far as buying Canadian - we still manufacture hoards of items. We still are major exporters.

http://www.canadianmade.com/

Archived