Hamilton Harbour.....

Fire

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think its very commendable that tim/greg mentioned the size of fish ok to eat....less than 8"....

less than eight, should taste great.

over eight, DOWN THE HOLE they go. :Gonefishing:

the guy who caught the trout, rather than release it, killed it, then gave it away! :Gonefishing:

please release the fish you catch down there....especially if your killing it to look at it on the ice!

given the tumours and other weird things i've seen on fish from the harbour, i would have to be verrrrrryy hungry before i'd eat anything out of there. i know the ministry says its safe BUT it doesn't mention the growths in its 'guide to eating'. yeech.

There's more chems in our everyday food like that hotdog I'll be eating today Ola .icon8.gif ....or one cig. thats loaded with carcigens. I wouldn't eat any fish that didn't look healthy , but for a once a week serving of local fish or fish from the ocean , I can't worry about it . Breathing the air in your home contains chemicals from you furniture & rugs etc. It's almost impossible to avoid , even when I ate moose meat . it contained cadmium etc. They keep telling us fish is good for the brain .......but they didn't say we would be smart like a brain surgeon when we die of cancer.......icon5.gif.............kidding you Olaicon4.gif

I grew up in Hamilton and I still can't bring myself to eat fish out of the harbour. The habour has improved a lot but the memories of what it was like in the sixties and seventies still linger in my brain. I know that fish like crappie, due to a low fat content in their meat and their short lifespans should be perfectly fine but I just can't do it. I fish there all year long. ;)

Well at least Hamilton decided to do something to clean it up... there's been talk for years and years about cleaning up Mohawk Lake here in Brantford.. doubt I'll ever see it done in my lifetime.

I've seen carp and largemouth pulled out of there but like you in Hamilton won't eat them because the factories right beside the lake empty directly into the lake.

the area fish the harbour you sould look for is bayfront park. They have everything there. Myself and DropTine headed out there today along with my younger brother, we managed to pull out about 15 small perch all together. Not the bast day but its at least something. It shoudl get better as the winter progresses. And with this cold weather coming the ice should be perfect for next week.

Dan

Hamilton Harbour is the 2nd most toxic hotspot in all of Canada's waterbodies.

Yes there has been a lot done to dress up the shoreline, but there is STILL tons & tons of highly toxic sludge laying on the bottom in several "dead zones". Toxic waste from transformer plants, coal tar from a century of steel making with no environmental regs, oh joy.

Seeing as how handling some of this material with your bare hands would kill you, no I wouldn't eat any fish out of there.

display3_e.jpg

display4_e.jpg

Hey , great maps Clofchik . I'm sure the river & lake bottoms of many areas have contaminants in them . Even northern lakes were destroyed by acid rains etc many years ago & the whole great lakes system had been an industrial dump for years . In Niagara , we had many paper mills dumping into the Beaverdam, Gibson/Moodie , 12 mile , Port Dalhousie system for years so the sediment still has contaminants . But the steady flow (flushing) of the whole systems with better quality water has , I believe made a big difference in the fish that feed on the plants & tiny organisms that aren't affected by the bottom contaminants . How do we know how safe the fish is a A & P or a restaurant ? And that goes for all of our fruits & veggies as well . When you flush your toilet into L.Ont ., be aware that that same water will return to your kitchen tap ....... :worthy:

The good news for the Bay is that hopefully in our lifetime (better yet, within 5-10 years hopefully)it will be delisted from the list of contaminated sites. Check out The Bay Area Restoration Council (BARC). Lots of info there of whats being done and how they are doing it.

Great news for the bay.....

Sherriff

The good news for the Bay is that hopefully in our lifetime (better yet, within 5-10 years hopefully)it will be delisted from the list of contaminated sites.........

Which is strictly a PR move to say "Wheeee seeeeee everything is fine now!" when it is not.

The ONLY way to clean up the Bay is to pony up the $150 million (estimated, probably more like $200 million) to dredge the stuff up and "dispose" of it properly. Which means carting it off to make it somebody else's problem in the form of a toxic waste dump.

Which will NEVER happen in our lifetime. Not in this country.

BARC's solution is to merely bury the huge blob of "stuff" with cleaner fill to make a nice little island for coromants.

Given their solution to rehabilitate Cootes Paradise was an overpriced Carp Barrier that had no effect I take their "solutions" with a grain of salt.

How toxic this junk is can't be over stated, handling anthrax is safer.

Which is strictly a PR move to say "Wheeee seeeeee everything is fine now!" when it is not.

The ONLY way to clean up the Bay is to pony up the $150 million (estimated, probably more like $200 million) to dredge the stuff up and "dispose" of it properly. Which means carting it off to make it somebody else's problem in the form of a toxic waste dump.

BARC's solution is to merely bury the huge blob of "stuff" with cleaner fill to make a nice little island for coromants.

Given their solution to rehabilitate Cootes Paradise was an overpriced Carp Barrier that had no effect I take their "solutions" with a grain of salt.

The carp barrier real purpose was to allow the RBG to get their hands on more gov't money. It works great.

The P.E. in our company use to working for NAVY at hamilton harbour. He told me the bay is much better than ppl thought. Specially the north/west side, basicly from the bay front to the skyway bridge area. on the east side, he said they are still working on it. That was back to 2005.

I would have to agree with the majority of this post.

IF, and its a big IF, but IF we "cap" randles reef, instead of cleaning it, we are in for the biggest mistake of our lives. The best option was to use a dredging system that used a monster hose/vaccuum to suck it up...but too costly....Hamilton is taking the easy route...which is too bad!

I'm not getting into the Carp debate, but ClofChik, in the spring, if you would like, I can take you, first hand, to see some of the new, natural weed growth and lilly pads in area's that have been void of any vegetation. You can then form your opinion about its success or failure. I think you'd be surprised, especially in Carol's Bay.

steve hamilton ... we agree completely about the clean-up, rather than the plan to cap

that poison under concrete and building a park on top of it ! but think some of the cost

of removing that chemical soup should rest on the industry that cause it in the first place :worthy:

we can remember when cootes was so full of weeds and water plants that it was tough

canoeing through the area from princess point to spencer creek in dundas, and yes there

is finally some regrowth happening :D it would be nice to see that area returned to the

spawning grounds for so many species of fish and other wildlife ;)

steve hamilton ... we agree completely about the clean-up, rather than the plan to cap

that poison under concrete and building a park on top of it ! but think some of the cost

of removing that chemical soup should rest on the industry that cause it in the first place :worthy:

Unfortunately, Stelco does not exist, and Dofasco exists in name only. There is little likelihood that the new owners are going to foot the bill for a problem they didn't create.

we can remember when cootes was so full of weeds and water plants that it was tough

canoeing through the area from princess point to spencer creek in dundas, and yes there

is finally some regrowth happening :D it would be nice to see that area returned to the

spawning grounds for so many species of fish and other wildlife ;)

Too right. The industry should be accountable for thier actions. I also believe they should open up some of the water front property and allow atleast some public access to the bay in that area.

Back in 1984 I left the area and lived in England and British Colunbia. I returned 1n 2004. If you were to ask me while I was gone that the bay offers the fishing oppurtunities that it does I would not have believed you. I have to say I'm impressed with what improvements have been done. Obviously there is a lot more to be accomplished though.

I would loved to have seen the bay before Europeans arrived. It would have been a paradise...

Too right. The industry should be accountable for thier actions. I also believe they should open up some of the water front property and allow atleast some public access to the bay in that area.

Back in 1984 I left the area and lived in England and British Colunbia. I returned 1n 2004. If you were to ask me while I was gone that the bay offers the fishing oppurtunities that it does I would not have believed you. I have to say I'm impressed with what improvements have been done. Obviously there is a lot more to be accomplished though.

I would loved to have seen the bay before Europeans arrived. It would have been a paradise...

Unfortunately, you cannot punish the industries unless it can be proven that they were in fact illegally dumping in the Bay. It would make sense to make the polluters pay, but it is up to the Governing bodies at the municipal, and federal level to create laws that restrict this type of polluting. Fortunately today there are laws, but back in the day, the industries were just doing what was within their legal right to do. Its the Governments that messed up with their lack of foresight with respect to the environment.

I use to have a whole biography saved on my computer before i restored it. It was about 15-30 pages of the lake ontario fisheries and how it was overfished a long time ago and how now where areas seem like they have good fihing, would be abosolutly unbelieveable. Some of the stuff talke about how sturgeon were basically everywhere and how the fishing boats use to dump all their catch on the shores and often leave it to die and rot. It said the sturgeon were jsut tossed away like they were nothing. It also talked about how many of our creeks were just packed with fish and how for the aboriginals that lived there, it literally was a paradise. Now our creeks have fish but to what extent? I live near redhill creek, where we use to see salmon all the time, and when my dad was a kid they were everywhere in the creeks. The last couple of years, i have been lucky to have seen 1 or 2, and I dont even see any carcases in the creek anymore. If i could i would love to fish here in a time whhere the fish were so plentiful, you could have caught 30 salmon in an hour, now you lucky to get one with every 2 outings...If I find this article i will definatly post it, it will just leaving you asking one question when your done reading it...WHY???!?!?!?!

Dan

Archived