Hamilton Harbour.....

Fire

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
steve hamilton ... we agree completely about the clean-up, rather than the plan to cap

that poison under concrete and building a park on top of it ! but think some of the cost

of removing that chemical soup should rest on the industry that cause it in the first place :)

we can remember when cootes was so full of weeds and water plants that it was tough

canoeing through the area from princess point to spencer creek in dundas, and yes there

is finally some regrowth happening :D it would be nice to see that area returned to the

spawning grounds for so many species of fish and other wildlife :worthy:

Were there carp in there then?

Guest UglyFish
Redhill Creek will be have fishing running very soon....

i bet by the fall of 2010, you'll have a pretty good Chinook run....

not likely, they screwed up when they "re-routed" the creek. a lot of the areas they built concrete channels and what not and a significant portion of the creek is far to shallow to allow a good salmon run, and when we have dry years with no rain, that creek gets very close to drying up.

ugly, one of my close friends, who is part of the grindstone trout club, and is a guide there, was in charge of the redoing of Redhill creek....

its flow is MUCH better now, without the garbage and shoreline errosion...

i'm sorry, but i can not agree with you on that one...

but i sure can with joe's comment above!

yes, the creek has been fixed up quite well. I still dont see the chinook population coming back for at least another 5-10 years. But yes, its MUCH better than before, they all use to get stuck at that one concrete park thats just under queenston. But nows its been removed so it should be alot easier for the fish.

Dan

Guest Rockfish

The industries have been caught illegally dumping in the bay for years. It's been reported in the news a few times of "spills" and company's don't seem to have much of a prob to pay a $100,000 fine than to spend a couple million to dispose of their waste properly.

Another problem that existed years ago was when raw sewage from the city was dumped untreated into the bay which doesn't have a steady water flow out into the lake and it just settled alot on the bottom. Dumping untreated sewage in the hope that it would disipate in large water bodies was a norm for alot of areas until proper treatment facilities were made.

It's been reported that alot of the pollution has been contained because of continuing build up of sediment to cover the bottom of the bay. Although now the zebra mussels have been filtering out the bottom sediment to expose what was once relatively undisturbed and the gobies eating them are bringing the pollution back into the food chain like alot of the Great Lakes.

I have seen big changes in the harbour in the last few years with extensive weed growth and dumping less crap into it with good migrating fish populations to resident fish that still look very healthy in the bay.

:)

DD, you'd be surprised how quickly salmon will adapt to a new river system.....and technically, they never stopped entering the system, which was confirmed during the construction of the highway....they found salmon that ran in 04, 05, and 06. just not many numbers...that should improve.

further, there is hope that the redhill creek will become a future salmon introduction zone, if grindstone falls through. (not pens like at pt dalhousie)

steve hamilton .... we agree that they did a real fine job on the redhill creek job ;):worthy::worthy:

and we also saw a few sammies working their way up creek there :D i was kinda hoping that, that spot would

be off limits for the next while the run increases, as im sure it will :D

as per Red Hill Creek.....the company that took on that project of building the parkway actually won awards and a tonne of environmental recognition along the way for that project. Part of the whole project was to restore the creek as much back to it's natural flow as possible. ;)

oh yes, i agree the creek is much better now than it was before, however, i just dont see the population just incresing in about 2 years. The fish we have now that run, need to make it up, lay their eggs etc. Then the newborn need to be able to survive to get to adulthood, then they need to spawn. This all takes between 3-5 years. Plus with the low numbers in the past years, i would say at least another 10 years to get it somewhat of like a population of creek like Bronte. Its going to take a while, but i hope when i have kids they will fish redhill likes its a fishey like Bronte or the Credit. I may be 18, but i have done my reserch.

Dan

Oh and about the salmon intoduction zone, i think that would be a great idea. Its accually quite a large creek. I have been living about a 15 min hike from it all my life. We use to go creeking all the time and fish aswell. We caught some MONSTER chub and sucker in there and im sure if salmon were introduce to it. It would be a perfect habitat. (i would love to see some atlantics in there)

dan, the fish that they have been dumping off the breakwalls and enter the bay in a state of confusion will make their way up the river....even though they were not hatched from the river....

we have found clipped fish that were dumped off the breakwall in cootes paradise....for the same reason, they enter the bay, and roam around.

lets just hope for the best.....when i was young, behind the gas station, i caught a resident rainbow in redhill....you just never know.

we can remember the fishery that once was hamilton harbour, spencer creek -grindstone creek

rainbows browns sammies and speckies up in the creeks. huge pike and bass in the swamp, the perch

and sunnie fishing was awesome for kids to learn the basics of fishing. catfish-mostly bullheads, but some

big channel cats in the spring. then later the crappie fishing as they some how worked their way into

those waters. ive seen ice fishing many years ago when fish decoy"s where used LOL spearing pike threw

the ice. carp in the spring that were speared and thrown on the banks to be used as fertilizer, along with

that black smelly mud by the pick-up truck load to be spread on gardens. and people hunting-fishing for

snapping turtles for meat soup. and the shanty town village in the woods there.

damn im feeling old ;):worthy:

hamilton harbour fishing is on its way back to being a great fishery again, there are a few species of fish that

would surprize most people, maybe some day we will be able to start eating some of those fish again with out

worry :worthy:

"but think some of the cost

of removing that chemical soup should rest on the industry that cause it in the first place"

Abso-freaking-lutely!!!!!!!

I would make sense, but no governing body has any legal grounds to make the industries help with the clean up. I don't see the steel industry generously handin out any free money in this economic period. Good idea, but it will never happen. The tax payers will bear the burden.

I would make sense, but no governing body has any legal grounds to make the industries help with the clean up. I don't see the steel industry generously handin out any free money in this economic period. Good idea, but it will never happen. The tax payers will bear the burden.

The companies that made those messes are no more. There is no Stelco or Dofasco, so its pure fantasy to think the industries that caused the problem can clean it up. It's kinda like taxing somebody after they've been long dead and in the ground for years.

The creek starts as storm sewer runoff on the mountaiin near the upper ottawa street dump. good luck to the poor fellows trying to restore that place back to whatever it once was. there is a tunnel behind the cement factory and it follows the linc and i have been in it as far as upper gage.

Only part of it does. There is a creek that runs pretty much north south and meets it at Dartnall and the Linc.

Guest Rockfish
a significant portion of the creek is far to shallow to allow a good salmon run, and when we have dry years with no rain, that creek gets very close to drying up.

The creek is about a mile from my place and I've seen it alot from Barton St. the past year with the new bridge for the Redhill highway. I haven't been down to check it out but from the bridge it looks very shallow as it usually was since u can see all the bottom rocks with not much flow in there through the summer (and we had a rainy one) until the Fall and Spring rains come. It's about the same small width and depth or less as the Grindstone creek where it runs up through Burlington and only has enough water in it for a fish run in the Spring run off or if we have lots of rain in the Fall.

seen the restoration plans - sat through the presentations showing all the 'improvements' but all my kids know is that the creek where they used to catch tons of chub and suckers/painted turtles, birdwatch and bring home handfuls of red clay to make pottery bowls, is gone along with acres of mature trees. don't know how you fix that overnight. :Gonefishing:

unfortunatly...you dont. I use to play soccer and football on the fields at glencastle park. Now its just some highway running right through there. To be honest, i really miss the old red hill valley. The only thing i think that needed fixing was under barton st, where there was that shallow concrete based part, that didnt give salmon a slight chance to make it up. I just hope that it does indeed get better, which im assuming it will, and that we can one day in the future, we can fish it like we do creeks like bronte. Minus the snaggers, meat hunters, roe hunters and flossers.

Dan

So maybe one day, there might be some fish at buttermilk or albion falls. grindstone has it's share of problem but they are much different. i cannot ever see the float guys lining the shore near barton or king street drifting the pools. i remember growing up we wouldn't go barefoot in the creek. i'll stick to my new area here in flamborough.

well said Steve, you got to love those small creek systems that are just packed with small trout. And yes, grindstone does seem to be taking a fall. Ever since they did the last changes to it, i havent seen much life as i have before. In one day of fishing that creek my buddy and I caught, bass, trout, carp, sucker, redhorse, pike, bluegill, bullhead and even a small perch. In my opinion thats a good area with lots of Biodiversity among the fishes. Last couple of years, i havnt seen much fish at all...well just carp. So hpefully something happens for its own good.

Dan

Archived