Could use some help in FE

Dan Andrews

Well I went out with JWL today and cleaned some duck boxes. Maybe Jack can post some pictures because we had an interesting afternoon. So after stopping at a buds to wash down all the sawdust we swallowed I came home to find this in my front yard duck box.

who.jpg

So the squirrel gets bloody but wins his back yard box and the owl evicts or maybe even eats the starlings from the front yard box and everybody's happy.

domestic.jpg

Jack has some pictures of some other inhabitants of these boxes.

I love watching the owls hunt. We had a pair of Great Horned in the one bushlot I used to cull from. I never logged near their nest.

If I saw them around I would just stop and watch for that sudden dive from the tree to grab a mouse or other small rodent.

If you hang a duck box in a willow tree overhanging a creek, wild honey bees are sure to move in. I was astonished to here they used to rip these out despite the population collapse of honey bees. After some discussion we decided to start hanging additional boxes nearby instead.

duckboxes013.jpg

Despite a temperature of minus -11, I could still here many bees buzzing inside!

thought I could add a couple more pics.

It was a great little adventure out in the woods,heck I even learned of a couple new potential fishing spots out of the deal as well. You just never know what you might find out there if you step in and lend a hand to our great outdoors once in a while.

Here is some of what we had to walk through to get to a couple spots

351451185.jpg

You can't quite see it in this shot but soon as Chilli opened up the hatch on this one, you could see there was something crawling around, he cautiously waited a second and out pops 2 squirrels at the same time :lol: That was good for a couple laughs, but wait there was something else..after a bit more poking around out pops a 3rd one...so Chilli starts digging out the bedding, and what do you know, there is another one...this one took some coaxing though...I don't know if you can see in the pic, but Dan pulled this one out by the tail :D , there was 4 of the little friggers in there

351451188.jpg

here is the view from a wooded creek area we walked down

351451257.jpg

of course Dan already showed this one...surprized to find this up in the box..guess if we where trapped in the woods we would not have went hungry..mmmmm honey BBQ squirrel !!!

351451227.jpg

And this was a great sign at one of the boxes

351451186.jpg

It was a great wintery thing to do, a great hike, lots of good shooting the breeze along the way, and a good feeling at the end of the day to know that we went out there and tried to put a bit of effort back into the great out doors we enjoy so much.

Thanks for getting me out Dan, ;)

I'm just headed out for round 2. Both my faithful in house hunters are scared of the cold today and Jack and Bones have prior commitments.

How about someone new. Still got about 15 boxes to do. Jack and I did about 10. Should be a couple more trips at least.

Any takers can call my Cell 905-321-8062 and we can hook up.

Thanks

Dan ;)

Well you missed a good day outside today. The cold is not a factor for the hardcore sportsman. Today I explored rarely traveled territory and noticed some of our boxes need replacing or were just plain gone altogether. If they rot right off the tree, the spring current usually drags them off down stream.

009.jpg

Here's a new one I just put up today. I did 2 by myself and decided to wait for help for the other 6 or so that need doing. It's kind of dangerous squirming around on a ladder on an icy creek when no ones holding it :D

You never know what your going to find next. This next box usually holds an owl. Check my you tube videos to see what bones and I found in here last year. This one is in a field at the Conservation club. There are others along black creek but I ran out of steam.

008.jpg

I'll be doing Point Abino tomorrow. Ever wonder whats back there? I'll be leaving my house at 10am with my oldest Son. Could use one more helper ;) . Any takers?

Dan I had a great time today, Thanks for the invite. It's truely amazing as to what you might find while you're out there. Anytime you need some extra help just give me a shout. :)

If you want to put up some more boxes just let me know, we can use my truck too :Gonefishing:

Can you see it coming? Check out that snow on the roof :D

setup.jpg

Now tap very gently

snowface.jpg

OOh cold snow in your face. That's what you get for a good deed Joe :P

Joe joined me in Fort Erie and he had a little height advantage. He got his first look at the sand dune forest of Point Abino. Truly beautiful in there. Glad he came. My minds been wandering lately and I almost forgot to add bedding to a couple of boxes but Joe made sure I stayed on track.

We reinstalled & relocated the first box and if Joe didn't have all his weight on the ladder, I would have eaten the stream bank. whew! :o . The second box was a bust. It was in good shape but was abuzz with bees. The bottom was open so Joe did the honours of closing the trap door to give them a little more shelter. These bees will outgrow this hive and when they move, we'll remove the old combs and put it back into commission for the wood ducks.

wildbeesduckbox.jpg

We did find one other box that I've never seen before. After consulting with the neighbours, we entered the property and cleaned it out. It showed evidence of 2 seasons of ducks.

Thank you for all the offers for help. I have to wait and see if the work crew at the FECC can build some more boxes on Thursday. If so, I can find a home for as many as they build me. I'll take you up on those offers when the time comes, if they're still on the table B)

Dan, question for you, while you where at the Conservation Area did you happen to see how full the walleye rearing pond was????..just planning my spring a little :oB)

Archived