Name that dog

id vote on some type of brush .. either a leaf or a weed that just strategically went in and out of the mouth. That is 100% coyote ... maybe a coydog ... but the coloring is all coyote

Plus in comparison to Dan's boot .. it definitely is not that big

id vote on some type of brush .. either a leaf or a weed that just strategically went in and out of the mouth. That is 100% coyote ... maybe a coydog ... but the coloring is all coyote

Plus in comparison to Dan's boot .. it definitely is not that big

Yep that's Mr. Wyely Coyote ......looks like the Roadrunner's Acme 747mm canon worked on him ! :blink:

Dan wears a 14 boot , so it's just a little fella......

That'd be a big coyote. It was obviously bloated and I had to clear the grasses from its chompers to get a picture of those big teeth. It's back leg was twisted around backwards and its tail was widdled down to nothing. I'm betting it stayed on the highway while the rest of the coyote ran off.

This Leslie Sampson women has allot of people doing research on coyotes. Turns out she's full of you know what. Our coyotes are much bigger than their Southern migrants. They also don't live primarily on mice. They've been doing one heck of a job on the rabbit population amongst other small animals (cats and dogs included) and I heard one report of them taking down a deer (good for them :P ). One thing I know is there is a huge population of field mice this year but I think its allot more work for these dogs to fill up on mice when they can eat cats, rabbits and garbage. Either way they are not going to starve this year.

This is what happens when Miss Sampson's coyotes get over populated. Like every thing else, you start seeing more animal/vehicle collisions and signs of imbalance in the ecosystem. Obviously expanding no fire zones is the answer :blink:

Yeah i guess u guys are right. just first glance he looked big but now that, the massive 14 foot is on there it is small, and it just looked like a hook in its mouth cause of the way it was bent and it looked like thge eye at the end on his snout. Anyhow, looks like meat for the birds in the spring and summer.

I'll give coyote watch a call and let them know where to rescue it :D

That reminds me. About ten years ago in Toronto ( where else ) , a coyote got hit on the 401 and some ARA group got ahold of it and depleted there bank accounts on vet bills. In the end they had a three legged coyote and were crying for more money. :P

Coy dog I think.

Took this one in Milton a few years ago.

Sent the pic to a wolf guy and he said it was a great speciaman of a Coyote.

The difference between wolf and Coyote is a true coyote has that angle going down in the back.

2920071520094307541S600x600Q85.jpg

Just a lucky shot, right place right time.

Jeff

Great shot Jeff ! And that coyote is a strong healthy looking animal . Is that a telephoto shot or were you that close to it ?

The lens I shot that with was a Tamron 70/300 (not a big one :Gonefishing: ) and yes I was that close to it. The coyote was actually picking out mice burrows in the wheat stalks.

I was out scouting sun rise places, it was one of those whoa moments.....I now have a (big B) ) telephoto being lucky as I was with my shots, I figured I couldn't count on luck all the time.

You guys would have been so proud of me at the outdoor adventure show in T.O. I had a nice "discusion" with some your animal rights friends on why the hunt/fish guys where with us (paddlers) and us with them in the ongoing NWPA fight...

The editor of an outdoor mag (who was with me at the time) was surprised (so was I) a postal worker could out debate them and still prove their time was being wasted fighting the wrong groups instead of the politicians. (as opposed to me going Postal :) , tempting as it was.....not to "play hockey" with them.... :o )

But alas it was probably on deaf ears, After reading your posts about them (and other sites) it is easy to see that the politicians react to them because it makes the news. :)

But your posts did help me prepare for them incase they did show up.

And when it came to put their money in the right places......

Lets just say it's all talk and no do......it's easier to put on a show then actually do something about it.

Jeff

Jeff that picture definitely looks like a cross. Too thick for a coyote and the wolves tend to have that hunch to their hind quarters like a large sheppard, tail between the haunches. Looks more like a wolf than a coyote in my own opinion.

ARA's just don't know where to draw the line. Their intentions aren't evil, they seriously value all life and don't want to harm a single living thing. That is commendable in my eyes. The problem is they love animals so much, they close their eyes to reality. You can't survive without having an impact on animals.

Beautiful picture Jeff. If you've got more to share, this is the forum for nature related stuff, fishing or not. :B

I've always liked the telephoto shots Jeff . The depth of field can be blurred out with the F/stop to suit your liking . I still have my complete 35mm Canon AT1 with a few lenses etc. My tele. is only 200mm but I can go 400mm with the 2x converter . I miss using that old 35mm & getting the film processed & having good quality photos . The digis are now very advanced & you can get into some serious photography if you wish . I have used my breath on the skylight filter to fog up the lens to make a "misty" picture....can be done on digis as well to give a fog effect .Your photo has that late fall ,golden sky effect & the coyote fits in very well with those colors .......very nice picture !

This is what happens when Miss Sampson's coyotes get over populated. Like every thing else, you start seeing more animal/vehicle collisions and signs of imbalance in the ecosystem. Obviously expanding no fire zones is the answer B)

The best way to control coyotes is to paint tunnel entrances on the sides of mountains or, in our case, along the Niagara Escarpment. They fall for it every time! :blush:

IMG_1044.jpg

Archived