Lake Gibson . Any good ?

Awerang

yes great place to fish. I was there today. I fsh there for bait for catfish. Most species can be caught there. I take my kids there all summer long. Obey regulations and don't eat the fish. My favorite spot is the pnds at the end of Collier road.

maka

yes great place to fish. I was there today. I fsh there for bait for catfish. Most species can be caught there. I take my kids there all summer long. Obey regulations and don't eat the fish. My favorite spot is the pnds at the end of Collier road.

maka

Thanks For the Info.

Did you catch any today ? Any Luck ?.

And , I Dont know if this is to much, but Would you please tell me What are some good lures to use, Or Live Bait.

Rowan,

The thing about fishing in niagara is (and I'm no expert), but there really aren't any "land locked" lakes. Therefore the variety of species that exists in the great lakes above and below niagara are exist in many of the inland waterways.. Gibson, Welland river, Etc.

Fishing in niagara is world class and if you expect to get results like you see in the photos here within your first couple of months then you'll probably get discouraged and quit. Spend a few hundred and hire a guide for a day if you really need to feed your trophy jones.

This forum has a handy search option where you can search out terms that have been posted up to 5 years ago (I don't know off hand how long this site's been kick'n).. For example if you use the right search terms, you can find that Musky have been caught out of gibson. Believe it or not I've even seen trout that have been caught in certain parts of gibson.

So give it (the search option) a try.. Welland river, Gibson, Martindale, Rec canal etc. You'll find pretty quickly that you aren't the first person who's come on here and tried to become an expert angler with the wisdom of the ages in 5 posts. If you're really serious about the fishing, try some of the shore trout derbies and donate some of your money to the SC G&F.. Money talks.

My best advice... Try different things. Go to petes bait and tackle or Canadian tire if that suits you. Buy a few different sized hooks, some bobbers.. Make sure you have fresh line on your rod if it's been a while since you've been fishing. From there, try different baits.. Minnows, Leeches, Worms, Chicken livers, corn. Also try artificials like gulp. Like any obsession you can spend as much as you want on it. If you're in to lures, I like small white spinner baits, the ones with the frills and spinning blades. My favourite lure is the silver/black Rapala J-13 jointed minnow. I've caught trout and countless pike on that lure but they're not cheap, about $10 a piece.

Good luck my friend and I hope you can eventually post some pics of your catches. I don't mean to end the note in a backhanded way but putting "please" in quotations doesn't make anyone want to jump up and help you any quicker as it doesn't sound sincere. Also, if you're wondering why people aren't offering up advice super eagerly, it's because people just like you pop up on the board every year asking the same questions..

"I know nothing.. Please tell me everything"... Given this, I suggest you give the search function a try.

Tight lines cleo out

B) Little Cleo, That really was an excellent report....................You've convinced me to go out and buy a Rapala J-13 lure...............

I've had the most success with the silver/black ones. They're a good size/ weight for casting, they also do well for trolling behind a 9.9 hp boat.

I relied upon them heavily this past fall, and tried the yellow/white and orange/yellow combinations with varied success. I still have the most success with the silver/black and always try to have 2 on hand in my tackle box at all times.

They're around 8.99 at wally-mart and 9.99 at cdn tire. possibly 10+ $$ at peters. I've bought one from peter's and they seem to have higher quality silver-coloured treble hooks.

In addition to trout and pike, they're pretty good for bass too.

Last night , I was fishing Pond no. 2 on beaverdams road. No, not the spot were it,s wired off with a NO Trespassing Sign posted but I was on Kaye road in between the 1rst and 2nd pond.

This older fellow in a marked security car working for Cantec Security pulls close to me and says " that I am trespassing " Well, I said , I don,t think so. He said " your not suppose to be on the other side of heavy wire running along the road. I then said " you must be thinking of the spot west of me , were it,s marked off , NO TRESPASSING. He said NO. Then, I had told him that I had phoned Ontario hydro and they said it was Ok to fish in these ponds. His response was " geez the Hydro is telling me differently ". and he drove off. I left a hour later.

The truth of the matter is that , yes I phoned Ontario Hydro, if fishing was allowed there last year. Not this year. :blush:

I see the signs up still don,t eat the carps. So , I assume it was ok to fish. Its propbaly the only good time to fish that area , since in the summer it becomes sea weed haven.

Whats the scoop ? Is Ontario Hydro going to ban fishing on their property now ?

I googled the area, and noticed lots of water access in this area. Do most of these place hold fish? In the Allanburg area, it looks like there are dam type structures? Are these areas fishable? What can you catch here? Pike, Crappie? panfish? carp?

the dam near allandburg hold some hugeeee carp, basss, pike, then your regular panfish...when they cleaned the dam a few years back i was told they even found a dead sturgeon...here is 2 pics of a few years back at this spot....but like everywhere else a fence has been put up for safety reasons so the PRIME fishing spot is now blocked by a fence...its still really good out there though

me.jpg

meagain.jpg

the second pic there looks like you cut and pasted yourself into it it looks that flat other than that those bass look nice and plump

the dam near allandburg hold some hugeeee carp, basss, pike, then your regular panfish...when they cleaned the dam a few years back i was told they even found a dead sturgeon...here is 2 pics of a few years back at this spot....but like everywhere else a fence has been put up for safety reasons so the PRIME fishing spot is now blocked by a fence...its still really good out there though

me.jpg

meagain.jpg

WHAT!

Thats Where I Fish Lol.

You Can Catch 25Lb's +++ Carp.

That Is An Exellent spot.

And Also, You Can Still get by the fence, Usually rocks leading around it .

Its Fun Watching the fish in the little waterfall, huge carp just lieing around !!!

tried googling the area couldnt find a dam i might give that area a look by in the summer is it part of gibson or somewere else

tried googling the area couldnt find a dam i might give that area a look by in the summer is it part of gibson or somewere else

The Allanburg Spot the Thorold_Fisher GUy Posted ?

Its an EXELlent Spot !.

U can get Carp 25 Pounds or higher ! . SheepHead, And More !

I fished there years ago before the fence. There's an even bigger dam down stream on the East side.

I would not recommend breaching the fence. It's sad to see it go that way but trash and risky behavior were probably influences in that decision. I was told by security at the Decew Station where my GrandFather and Great Uncle fished regularily, that if I crossed that fence that fish would cost me $500. Much cheaper to go to Sobey's. It was then explained that leaving the tresspasses alone was not an option. Some punks crossed the bridge, entered the station and pulled a breaker which could have killed them.

Punks are costing us our fishing access. Don't be a punk!

Sounds like they had some good security Chilli, probaly to busy sleeping. It ain't the fishermen that do this kinda thing, its teenagers and we all were one once. The garbage is everyone's fault, but I don't see why us adult fishermen get spots taken away because some parents couldn't control there kids. I know that the last thing on my mind when I go fishing is vandalizing someone's stuff.

Archived