Rudd?

Dan Andrews

Well I accidentally hooked up with hairwig today. Both our spots sucked and we ended up at the NPC to try our luck with carp. Wind at our backs so the line wasn't blowing all over the place.

Some girl was hauling this out to bring it somewhere else to release. I had to explain what an invasive species was and why it was illegal to possess one. She gave it some thought and did the right thing. She put it back.

So was I right? Is this a rudd or just a cruisian carp?

3474631931_827d1f52e5_o.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never seen something like that caught around here before so can't really help you identify it....

whatever it is though....its pretty cool lookin

I talked to Joanne again this morning. She was glad I told her. She had no idea. One of the problems of having a status card is you don't have to read the regs. I believe I may have inspired her to pick up a copy. She's good people.

Rudd was first found in lake Wilcox north of toronto. this is kinda cool but then again it is possibly bad for the ecosystems.

If this rudd is an invasive species should we release invasives ? We are told to destroy the gobies for that reason . But , by the looks of the invasive species list on that link , you would have to be an expert to know what crayfish ,lizard , frog/toad , etc etc. is a threat to our waters........Even a goby might be a sculpin ....... :worthy:

Rudd was first found in lake Wilcox north of toronto. this is kinda cool but then again it is possibly bad for the ecosystems.

Rudd it is.

Eric you have been misinformed here. The rudd found in Lake Wilcox were the first rudd caught outside of the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence river. It is the first inland lake that they have gotten into or have been introduced into.

This shows that anglers should not dump their bait buckets into the waters they are fishing. Small silver fish are all pretty similar in looks at a casual glance.

Oh and what Chilli said as well.

Should we release invasives? That's a can of worms I don't think we should open. Perhaps in another thread because it's going to get closed.

She released this fish because we were not sure what it was. After a quick Google search and feedback here we determined it was a Rudd but had we killed it then found later that is was in fact a native species of buffalo that is on a watch list, we'd be feeling irresponsible. I think fish like the banded Sculpin get culled because they look like the invasive Goby. I can see why people want to use it as musky bait though......... or marlin, shark, etc...

Sometimes I catch so many gobies but I throw them back because there are so many that you are just creating a pile of rotting fish while they multiply so fast that you just pulled out 4 and maybe 10 have just matured. But if it is a different one like a rudd I would keep it and bring it to a conservation office.

from

http://www.invadingspecies.com/Invaders.cfm?A=Page&PID=6

If you catch a rudd, destroy it. Do not throw it back. If you catch a rudd in an area not shown on the distribution map, preserve the fish in alcohol or freeze it and call the Invading Species Hotline at 1-800-563-7711 or contact your local MNR office.

So... the rudd has a protruding lower lip? Okay, got it. I just went through my gallery of crucian photos to see if I'd actually caught a rudd at some time, but apparently not. I appreciate the info as I'm not very got at species identification. All fish sort of look the same to me- beautiful. (Invasive or native, a fish like a dandelion can still be beautiful.)

Archived