Giant Hogsweed Keep your eye out for this plant

Southern Ontario outdoors people be very wary of this Plant.

Follow the link to the discussion on this, I just updated a posting of this stuff. Last year there where just a few plants on 16 mile creek in Milton.

And from what I understand it is getting more wide spread.

(out of control is a better word)

I have a link to full size pics if you want to distribute for teaching and info purposes.

There was no sense rewriting the whole thing.

Jeff

http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/viewtop...=310465#p310465

Another product from China.....well, at least it doesn't consume fishermen. B)

We have a much smaller world now with free trade so we will have to endure all the nasties that come with the trade . This weed looks like Queen Ann's Lace so it should be easy to spot . Loosestrife seems to be tamed down from a few years ago . And watch for poision ivy now.....many people I see like to wear sandles & shorts , getting it between the toes will drive you mad ! :P

Didn't realize this plant was so dangerous and could cause blindness if the sap gets in your eyes.

I heard about this plant back in 1972 from the group Genesis.

Was/is one of my favorite songs back then.

Another product from China.....well, at least it doesn't consume fishermen. B)

The plant came from the region of the Caucas Mountains. That's also the region where Caucasions come from. :P

Found this bunch of hogweed on Point Abino Rd just North of Erie Rd today.

hogweed.jpg

Well I hate to tell you, it's here to stay. This stuff is everywhere. I just noticed it last year and pulled over to check it out because I thought it was dill. It's all along the tracks by the tunnel on Townline Rd in Welland and by the tracks in Stevensville to mention just a couple of spots I've seen wild parsnip taking over. Seems kindof hopeless to eradicate it now.

Ya that was GM alright. Really nice natural area too but even Marcy's woods is going to sh#t with all these invasives. I'm not saying we should give up; just accept the battles that can't be won.

• 1 month later...

Chili,

This week I was reading my free copy of the review and I saw an article on this weed, giving credit to you for suggesting the story. Good On ya. Way to keep the public at large informed of some of the horrific invasives.

FW :lol:

We realy need a thumbs up winkie.

Chili,

This week I was reading my free copy of the review and I saw an article on this weed, giving credit to you for suggesting the story. Good On ya. Way to keep the public at large informed of some of the horrific invasives.

FW :lol:

We realy need a thumbs up winkie.

Just passing it on. Not everybody reads NFN. Tony Ruciuto calls me when they need info on wildlife issues because the more input the less likely they are to miss any details. I also like to get important info out there so I suggest topics covered here and things some of the various clubs are dealing with.

I don't know if you noticed but quite often when a new topic surfaces here, it is covered by Al Oleksuik about 2 weeks later. I'm betting he avoids writers block by reading forums like this. Hi Al if your reading.

We all have opportunity for input either in the clubs or the media. As you may have noticed I tend to do that more than most, even here. I would be happy if they just did the story without my name though. I don't seek credit, I just like to inform or spark discussion. Just be careful with the media though. the more sensational the story the more interesting the story. They sometimes put words in your mouth to which you have to say "I DON'T KNOW".

:worthy:

• 5 weeks later...

Giant hogweed has already claimed victims in Niagara

Posted By TONY RICCIUTO

Posted Friday Sept 11/09

It's confirmed by avid gardeners in Fort Erie and St. Catharines: The extremely dangerous giant hogweed plant we warned readers about recently is definitely in the Niagara area.

To come in contact with it is an agonizing experience.

The giant hogweed, which goes by the scientific name of Heracleum mantegazzianum, is a non-native invasive plant that can reach a height of 4.5 metres, or 15 feet.

It likes moisture, so it can often be found near rivers or marshy areas. The seeds float on the water and spread to other locations.

Sandi Leavey, who lives on Murray Street in Fort Erie, called to say she ended up at Douglas Memorial Hospital after coming into contact with this weed.

"I have no doubt in my mind that's what it was," said Leavey, noting the one plant had reached a height of just over 3 1 /2 metres.

At first, she had no idea what it was or how the seeds ended up in her garden.

"It had gotten so big so fast, and some of the smaller plants got to be (a metre tall) in no time at all," said Leavey.

"I thought these things were flowers because I had thrown some seeds out there and I wasn't really sure what they were because I had different kinds."

While the plant was growing, she was impressed by the beautiful buds. She was looking forward to seeing how it would look at the end.

"It's kind of pretty," said Leavey.

But after her arm and ankle come into contact with the plant, she was in such agony she went straight to the hospital.

At first, she thought something might have bitten her but there was no bite mark or an entry point.

"The pain was immediate. I kept brushing my arm and was thinking, 'Why is this hurting?'" said Leavey, who washed the affected area with water but didn't get any relief.

While reading my earlier column in the Niagara Falls Review about the giant hogweed, Leavey realized the description matched what she had in her garden.

She took precautions and removed the plants. Now, she's hoping all the roots were removed and it doesn't come back.

"It's brutal," said Leavey, who kept the article and shared it with family members and fellow gardeners in Fort Erie.

"I'm just so grateful. If I hadn't read that, I would have just let the plants continue to grow."

Another reader, Gloria Prentice who lives on Thunder Bay Road in Ridgeway, has been suffering for the past eight weeks and is still in pain.

"It's the worst rash that I've ever had. It's terrible. It burns like fire and bee stings."

Prentice isn't sure when and how she might have been in contact with the plant, but she lives in the country, is surrounded by woods and there's a nearby creek.

"I was a mess and I couldn't take the sun on me," said Prentice.

That's typical. Skin that comes in contact with the giant hogweed is extremely sensitive to sunlight for months or years afterward.

A few of her friends called after reading the article because it seemed to describe what she was going through.

She agrees.

"Right now, I'm even scared to go out in my yard. I had it all over my legs at first and two weeks later it was all over my arms. I couldn't take any sun on me at all. It was just crazy," said Prentice, who thinks her dogs might also have gotten it on their paws.

"It was more than just poison ivy. It was terrible, and I don't want to ever get it again."

Her advice is to be extremely careful when out in the garden or going for walks in wooded areas.

Dolores Howard, who lives on Dalhousie Avenue in Port Dalhousie, had two plants spring up in her garden this year, but wasn't sure what they were.

"I've been gardening for a long time and I'm always sharing plants with people," said Howard.

One day, her sisters-in-law were over and she showed them the two "beautiful plants" to see if they could identify them. The plants were about 1 1 /2 metres tall and the flowers were "just lovely".

After doing some research, they discovered it was giant hogweed. She wasn't taking any chances and immediately removed them after having a similar rash experience three years ago.

Covering herself from head to toe and wearing her husband's overalls and goggles to protect her eyes, she removed the plants.

When she broke out with the terrible rash three years ago, she ended up seeing four doctors, including one at McMaster hospital in Hamilton.

"It was just brutal. They didn't know what caused it," said Howard.

Now, she can't help wondering if it was a giant hogweed.

What needs fixing in your neighbourhood? We want to know.

Email us your story, providing as many details as possible to

or write to

Niagara Falls Review, What's Your Problem, 4801 Valley Way, Niagara Falls, ON, L2E 6T6.

Please include your name and a way to contact you. Tony Ricciuto can also be reached at 905-358-5711, ext. 1132.

Article ID# 1748596

• 9 months later...

Archived