Getting an ownership on a trailer??

Lund-SS

I bought a trailer from a guy , but he doesnt have the ownership , it is a boughten trailer not home made

can anyone tell me the best way or what procedure is in getting a new ownersip ?

do i just go with a bill of sale to the court house and an inspection report and get one ....

That just seems too easy

thanks for any help

I had the same probem. My trailer was an older trailer, so I just registered it at the MTO as a homemade. That seemed to be the easiest way to go. The person working at the MTO said that the plate is legit to use on any trailer I own.

I bought a trailer from a guy , but he doesnt have the ownership , it is a boughten trailer not home made

can anyone tell me the best way or what procedure is in getting a new ownersip ?

do i just go with a bill of sale to the court house and an inspection report and get one ....

That just seems too easy

thanks for any help

If a factory trailer, there is a registration/serial number. Therefore there is a vehicle history. You would need that to establish ownership, and the seller's right to sell the trailer.

The original owner has to go to City Hall with i.d and a letter explaining why he cannot provide the ownership papers and under oath has to sign a paper declaring that he is the original owner of the trailer. Then with that paper he needs to go to the ministry of transportation and have the trailer registered as a home made trailer or if it has the VIN number that would help to register it in his name. Then the Ministry of Transportation will issue him a new ownership paper to that trailer(FEE $35 or so) to his name and then he can transfer the trailer ownership to you and you have to register it under your name and plate it. Long process.. Enjoy

If the guy you bought it from had it registered, get a detailed bill of sale (VIN#, full name etc) from him and take it to the MTO and tell them ownership is lost. Should be no problem. If not call it home made and forget about it.

I'd be careful with that.....you may get away with the plate on a different trailer, but not necessarily. If the ownership and the trailer specs don't match ie, colour, VIN number, make etc, then you will likely get dinged for something. The guys working at the issuing office don't have a clue what is and is not legal on the road, they don't even work for the MTO, the issuing offices are privately run, contracted by the MTO.

Think about it.....you're hauling a white boat trailer perhaps with a make and/or number, perhaps not.....your registration says the plate belongs on a black utilty trailer, homemade. First thing that comes to my mind, 'is this trailer stolen?' now you have to establish ownership of the boat trailer, which you may not be able to do....

Ollie

When you register a trailer, the plate can be put on any trailer that you own in the future. As long as the trailer you are putting it on is in the same class the plate was originally registered. According to the MTO it is 100% legal. They are not worried so much about the make of the trailer, as they are with the owner who's pulling it.

If you register it as homemade, you only need to know the weight of the trailer. I estimated with mine. Let us know how you make out.

Archived