For Walleye from kayak

Push

Thank you all for good advice.

I'm definitely planning to fish Welland river. I was at Crystal beach today but for some strange reason fish didn't want to jump in the kayak??? :dunno:

I think I was too fast.

Thanks

1.6 - 2.3 mph

I have to use a handheld gps to get my speed right because when it is windy it's hard to gauge.

crappy tire also have an inflatable kayak on for 55 bucks this week. not sure how an inflatable and fishing will get along together, but if you are careful, how could you go wrong for 55 bucks? just a thought. LOL.

when I was younger, many moons ago, I used to white water kayak. I've paddled many rivers in England and Europe and a few here and in West Virginia. very fun sport and can get you into some tremendous fishing holes. I imagine that there are some models of kayak that you could stand up on, since they are very stable. not sure I'de want to do that though. your balance would have to be almost super hero-like. LOL.

My point was if you want to fish in Lake Erie with a car topper, a kayak is much safer in choppy waters than a canoe. Now if your in the creeks well that's a different story. Lake Erie and canoes don't mix. At least not far from shore.

Only for n00bs. I'd much rather be in a decent canoe than a yak with no skirt, not to mention they're alot comfier to fish out of. Canoes are alot more seaworthy than people think, I know a group that has paddled across Erie twice.

Now small aluminum boats...they scare me.

The platform is made for ponds. Your problem is wind. It will blow you off and turn upsde down. Be very carefull using it on Ontario, Erie or any othe bigger lake.

Thanks

Uh no. The problem with a pontoon is steep waves, especially side on, there's no way wind will capsize a pontoon. The BIG problem is the hypothermia risk, no matter how warm you think it is you need to wear waders at all times. There's been guys fishing Bronte salmon out of 'toons for over a decade.

And if you ever did stick an electric motor on your mount you'd need an operators card.

Uh no. The problem with a pontoon is steep waves, especially side on, there's no way wind will capsize a pontoon. The BIG problem is the hypothermia risk, no matter how warm you think it is you need to wear waders at all times. There's been guys fishing Bronte salmon out of 'toons for over a decade.

And if you ever did stick an electric motor on your mount you'd need an operators card.

I heard you dont need a boaters card for a pontoon, I contacted the MNR and they said the same thing, the motor is just as a back up. I could be wrong though, I should check into it again. As for flipping this thing, you would need a pretty big wave to do so, I've been out in Mountsberg Res. with white caps and all that happens is i get a bit cold from spray other then that I feel very safe on it. Now white caps in Lake O would be a different story, the water is only 50 deg at the harbour and 48 deg 1 km out so I think a floater suit would be nessessary. Last night I just wore my chesties and motored out, the water was calm..

I heard you dont need a boaters card for a pontoon, I contacted the MNR and they said the same thing, the motor is just as a back up. I could be wrong though, I should check into it again. As for flipping this thing, you would need a pretty big wave to do so, I've been out in Mountsberg Res. with white caps and all that happens is i get a bit cold from spray other then that I feel very safe on it. Now white caps in Lake O would be a different story, the water is only 50 deg at the harbour and 48 deg 1 km out so I think a floater suit would be nessessary. Last night I just wore my chesties and motored out, the water was calm..

depending on season, you can get cheap, thin wetsuits at Giant Tiger. I've seen em at CT, but I bet CT is a whole bunch more of your hard earned dollars. just a thought.

I heard you dont need a boaters card for a pontoon, I contacted the MNR and they said the same thing, the motor is just as a back up. I could be wrong though, I should check into it again...

Currently only craft longer than 13' need an Operators Card. The regs change on Sept. 15, anything that floats with a motor will need the card in a couple weeks.

Re wetsuit

First two columns are range in C next two in F

Recommended Thickness

Water temperature Thickness recommended

24 29 75 85 1/16" (1.6mm) neoprene, lycra, polartec

21 29 70 85 1/8" (3mm) neoprene

18 24 65 75 3/16" (5mm) neoprene

10 24 50 75 ¼" (6.5mm) neoprene

2 18 35 65 3/8" (9.5mm) neoprene, drysuit

Protection From The Elements

Water temperature Style of suit

27 32 80 90 None needed

22 27 72 80 Shortie or three-quarter

18 22 65 72 Full

16 18 60 65 Full wetsuit or drysuit

10 16 50 60 Full drysuit

4 10 40 50 Full drysuit-gloves, hood and booties

What is your experience with Can Tire vs specialty stores?

Re wetsuit

What is your experience with Can Tire vs specialty stores?

PS

This is the only reference found on internet. I'm not sure for how is related to the time spent in water and air temperature.

Archived