Cat lovers/haters

Dan Andrews

The following are letters from the scstandard.ca website. I believe this is something that should be addressed!

License urban cats

Posted By

Posted 8 days ago

Re:Make sure feral cats are safe and cared for(Aug. 8).

Feral cats are destructive to wildlife, defecate in gardens and the males mark their territory with smelly urine. Surely it costs the humane society as much to trap, neuter and return as it does to euthanize them. It is unfortunate that some members of our society dump cats in farm driveways on a regular basis. Perhaps we should require cat owners to purchase an annual licence like dog owners, not allow them to roam except around farm buildings to control rodents, and so deter people from casual cat (kitten) ownership. I wonder what the Ministry of Natural Resources has to say about the idea of feral cat colonies, which appears to be based on emotion rather than common sense.

Barry Leighton St. Catharines

Letters to the editor

Posted By

Posted 2 days ago

Feral cat problem won't be solved overnight

Re:License urban cats(Aug. 19).

Feral cats are not nearly as destructive to wildlife as humans. The major cause of wildlife extinction is our decimation of habitat. When ferals are cared for in a managed colony, they are provided with food and are therefore less likely to prey on other species.

TNR (trap/neuter/release) programs have been utilized successfully for 20 years in the United States. The costs in time and money are borne by the volunteer colony caretakers who provide the live trapping, vet fees, vaccinations and food. That makes it considerably cheaper for the municipality than killing the felines in shelters. Once sterilized, the colony will no longer spray or fight for mating purposes and will gradually be reduced in size. This problem was not created in a month, or a year, and shouldn't be expected to be eradicated in that time frame either.

The volunteers of the Port Colborne Feral Cat Initiative are to be applauded for their co-operative work in TNR. One of the major obstacles is there is only one vet in all of Niagara who is currently working on sterilization. If you wish to be educated about TNR, or to make a donation, check out PCFCI's website for contacts. They can give far more detailed answers than is possible to provide here.

Sheila White and Shimon Burstyn St. Catharines

I don't know but I think I'm with Barry. What the cat lovers letter indicates is that they are totally unaware what cats are capable of. Cats all over the world that are well cared for and fed and sometimes over fed to obesity still kill wildlife. That is their nature and feeding feral cat colonies only keeps them healthy and gives them less chance of getting picked off by coyotes. If a cat doesn't need to roam around and find food it is less likely to encounter a cat predator. It will still kill for fun.

So now we know where the cat groups waste your donations. Yes they do an excellent job of spay & neutering cats but can you believe they waste your donations by feeding feral colonies? Feeding perhaps the greatest predator we know! :D . Ya let me dig into my pockets for that. Make it legal to shoot feral cats and require licensing and leashing just like dogs. I wonder how these bleeding hearts would feel about people feeding feral/wild dogs?

Have you ever read "the official I hate cats book" by Skip Morrow? If you like cats don't read it. If you hate them you will laugh a lot.

Funny how I have never once been attacked by a dog but cats on the other hand seem to like scratching and biting me.

For the record I don't hate cats. I liked to be able to shoot them outdoors but in someones home they can be a pleasure. A little catnip and a toy can provide stress relief and sore sides from laughing but if they escape to the outdoors they can cause bird lovers and landowners stress and unnecessary harm can come to kitty.

That's just a sarcastic way of describing their behavior/attitude I hope :P

Yes it is!LOL :D But it illustrates how local participation CAN influence government decisions.

Governments might propose to raise taxes, take away land rights or cut services, and you'll get a few people come out to a meeting. But propose to regulate cats -- WATCH OUT!!! :P

Someone shot a cat in Toronto last week with an arrow. It lived and there's an uprising there. Just google "cat arrow" to find the story and crazy comments on the blogs.

Oh I bet this is going to turn into a peta liberal feeding frenzey!

As a 16 yr .old hunter , we were told to shoot any cats we saw in the bush . They kill partridge , quail , pheasants and small rabbits . We have a lot of large dogs in my hood , & a few cats have met their demise in back yards , mine included , and some neighbours still think their cats are meant to roam ....well , good luck kitties ....... :rolleyes:

When I grew up we had a Black lab/German Sheppard mutt. He wasn't big or bulky (actually was the runt of the litter) but was sleek and HATED cats. Now our doga have always had run of the house, and been house dogs that "teel" you when they want in or out. He loved laying in the sun summer or winter. One spring in particular after the snow melted we found 4 dead cats within the reach of his rope (3 rabbits too but that is a separate issue) Those weren't the only ones to lose to him. Great smart well mannered dog but hated cats, and had a hunting instinct. He lived to be 17 years old before his health started to fail and we put him down, and even at that age, with poor eyesite and arthritis, he treed a few big tomcats, after giving them a swing.

I HATE cats, My wife is a cat person who is afraid of large breed dogs. We have a 22 lb Orange tabby, housecat all claws intact, no nuts. Now I am trying to figure out how to convince her to let me get a Dane. But a lab would be a great dog to have again too.

Guys a agree cats should not roam free . I have my 2 of my own on 10 ft leads in the back yard they were trained as kittens and they still manage to bag the odd sparrow or mouse. CatS are serious killers. If anyone has to prove this to a cat nut look for the 1 hour doc entittled "The Secret Life of Cats" I Saw it on PBS .The reserch they did will blow your mind,if you care about the outdoors you will never let a cat run free after you see this.

I have a cat that I adopted. Mistake :D

It showed up at the door some years back

Have a small bowl outside and I feed it.

I don't let it into the house often, the dogs get excited.

But they all get along.

Many times this cat will bring mice and birds to the front door.

Some partially eaten some not.

It once brought over a half eaten rabbit :D

Cats do kill and not always for food :Gonefishing:

Archived