Sunday Gun Hunting Meeting - Twp. of West Lincoln

ninepointer

The Ontario Federation of Anglers & Hunters will be making a presentation to the Township of West Lincoln in support of allowing Sunday gun hunting on:

Monday, Sept. 21, 2009, 6:30 pm

Township of West Lincoln Council Chambers

Smithville, Ontario

This has been initiated by a pro-hunting Councilor, but the Council seems to be split on this issue. Your support is very important, especially if you live or own land in West Lincoln. Write, phone or e-mail the Council, come to the meeting if you can. Spread the word!

You can e-mail the Township through the Town clerk at:

carolynlangley@westlincoln.com

Councillors phone numbers are found at:

http://www.westlincoln.com/Contact_Council_Members.php

• 2 weeks later...

Initally the idea sounds great, but as Chili mentioned elsewere , if you get Sunday gun hunting you forfeit your extended goose season, I believe this is the winter hunt. Having lived in Grimbsy for 25+ years and hunting primarily West Lincoln, I know there are active waterfowlers working the fields here with a good goose population that perhaps they would not be so eager to lose this. Also as a bowhunter, the one day that I was always in the field was Sunday because if you had preseason scouted and patterned their movement you has less chance of rabbit or bird hunters disrupting your plan.

A little selfish perhaps, but I'm sure other bowhunters would feel much the same.

I know , I know that as hunters we should stand united on issues and division in our ranks causes apparent weakness to those opposed to hunting, but this is not all gain if looked at closely, there are tradeoffs to a Sunday gun hunt for some members of the hunting fraternity.

I agree with you Dave. Communication and discussion are key and everybody is free to express their opinion. I was under the impression though that Sunday hunting was about hunting not just gun hunting. You mean I passed on Niagara Falls Sunday bow hunting for nothing? Dam!

I've bowhunted since the late 70's, my first bow hunting partner was a CO and we always bowhunted on Sunday, he mostly worked Saturdays, as far as I know Sunday bowhunting has always been legal even if gun hunting was not. Also it pays to look close at the no discharge of firearms bylaws of your municipality, often bowhunting is an option where regular firearms are not. It just depends on the wording, look at the actual law and don't take a clerks word as your answer.

Both Fort Erie and Grimsby I know consider bows firearms. I'd like to address that but I've been told to leave it alone. Any discussion about firearms in FE only go one direction.

Thanks Dave. This knowledge just opened up alllot more property for me to hunt on Sundays.

It was a different council in a different time that passed the prohibition. The OFAH missed it as did the Town. It did however get the discussion going to reopen it again. There was a public meeting and the issue got heated. It just kinda faded away. Perhaps its time for the OFAH to revisit it.

It was a different council in a different time that passed the prohibition. The OFAH missed it as did the Town. It did however get the discussion going to reopen it again. There was a public meeting and the issue got heated. It just kinda faded away. Perhaps its time for the OFAH to revisit it.

I've been in touch with Grimsby and the OFAH is involved. The Town is supposedly drafting a new firearms discharge by-law but no timeline has been specified. The Town has advised that it will let the OFAH know when this is moving forward. A few more voices other than just mine would help. Send an e-mail to the Town.

Initally the idea sounds great, but as Chili mentioned elsewere , if you get Sunday gun hunting you forfeit your extended goose season, I believe this is the winter hunt. Having lived in Grimbsy for 25+ years and hunting primarily West Lincoln, I know there are active waterfowlers working the fields here with a good goose population that perhaps they would not be so eager to lose this. Also as a bowhunter, the one day that I was always in the field was Sunday because if you had preseason scouted and patterned their movement you has less chance of rabbit or bird hunters disrupting your plan.

A little selfish perhaps, but I'm sure other bowhunters would feel much the same.

I know , I know that as hunters we should stand united on issues and division in our ranks causes apparent weakness to those opposed to hunting, but this is not all gain if looked at closely, there are tradeoffs to a Sunday gun hunt for some members of the hunting fraternity.

Good point about the extended goose season. But if I'm understanding things correctly, there's still no loss in the number of days one can hunt geese; they're just spread out differently.

I'm a bowhunter who's out from Oct. 1 - Dec. 31. I've got a solid 3 months to hunt, so I don't mind giving giving one more day to the guys in the 6-day controlled deer hunt. As for bird hunters, they virtually are non-existent. Your more likely to be disturbed by the farmer's wife than you are by a bird hunter. There are virtually no pheasants or grouse around worth pursuing.

My other passion is rabbit hunting with beagles. We hunt various places across Niagara and we might once a season (if that) bump into other rabbit hunters. Any decent rabbit hunting begins with the first lasting snowfall, which is typically in January, after the archery season has closed.

Sunday gun hunting is currently working well in Fort Erie, Lincoln, Pt. Colborne, Wainfleet (we won't count Grimsby, that's another story).

I didn't get to the meeting, what drifted back my way was that it was mainly about coyote control around the landfill under very controlled rules not much about sport hunting. Would be interested if the town is willing to look at more than this.

Chili's news that the no fire zone included archery was news to me. I haven't bowhunted for a few years but a friend's parents owned a couple of acres on Ridge Rd and we used to target shoot there all the time. Actually our fifty yard stake was on a neighbours land, sweet little old lady gave us permission. Family across the road owned an apple farm and they bowhunted their own land. Had permission to use their coolers if we got one early and the weather was too warm before we could butcher it. Friend has since moved away out of province and his parents are gone, so I don't know if this is still going on. The land we actually hunted was in West Lincoln, after the deer season we could chase coyotes with 22-250's and .243's

YEEHAW :dunno:

I asked the Town of FE to post the bylaw online and it is now on the frequently accessed list. Point number 7 needs amending if your interested in reading it. http://www.town.forterie.ca/WebSite/tofewe...nting_bylaw.pdf

Point number 7 means there is a 2km swath along the friendship trail that can't be hunted! BTW spring guns and pellet rifles count as firearms in FE too!

As for Grimsby I heard it second hand so double check that one but I believe a good source.

There was obviously some one with a knowledge of firearms involved in that Fort Erie Bylaw. The allowance of high velocity centrefire 22's in certain areas is a wise decision as they are very safe with the projectile disintegrating on impact and they are very effective for predator control. I grew up with the provincial law of less than a .275 bore for southern Ontario where centrefiire rifles were allowed, that inluded some pretty heavyweights like a .270 Winchester or a 25-06, overkill for even the toughest yote I'd hesitate to recommend even centrefire 22's for Grimsby Mountain but definitely think archery tackle should be allowed anywhere south of Ridge Road and shotguns with steel shot smaller than BB's or the next size larger perhaps in the same area with landowner permission for migratory game birds. Steel really falls off quickly due to its light weight and there are a lot of geese grazing just about anything.

We were under the impression that if it could be bought without an FAC at the time as far the discharge laws were concerned you were OK. IF the federal Ministry of Justice and the Attorney General didn't consider it a firearm you were clear to go , unless archery gear was specifically mentioned in the bylaw. My comment earlier about checking the bylaw was to confirm that it was a no discharge of firearms law and not a no hunting bylaw.

Dave I don't believe they can legally pass a no hunting bylaw. The firearms discharge is there only way to stop it and that doesn't cover legal trapping. As far as the FE bylaw they had to fight for the centre fire because the Town wanted it down to a rim fire. 2 incidences were blamed for closing a wide open gun season but in the end it is safer now. IMO any shotgun or bow is safe if proper distances and common sense are followed. The redneck drunk with a gun are definitely a thing of the past.

The Ontario Federation of Anglers & Hunters will be making a presentation to the Township of West Lincoln in support of allowing Sunday gun hunting on:

Monday, Sept. 21, 2009, 6:30 pm

Township of West Lincoln Council Chambers

Smithville, Ontario

This has been initiated by a pro-hunting Councilor, but the Council seems to be split on this issue. Your support is very important, especially if you live or own land in West Lincoln. Write, phone or e-mail the Council, come to the meeting if you can. Spread the word!

You can e-mail the Township through the Town clerk at:

carolynlangley@westlincoln.com

Councillors phone numbers are found at:

http://www.westlincoln.com/Contact_Council_Members.php

Just found out today that, in addition to Sunday gun hunting, municipal hunting licenses ("township licenses") will also be on the agenda for discussion that evening. If you live or hunt in West Lincoln, let the Township know how you feel :lol:

Reports from last night's meeting are:

Sunday Gun Hunting:

Two Councillors were clearly in support of it, but the rest are against or undecided.

Municipal Hunting Licenses:

Looks like the Township wants to stop charging residents, but non-residents would still be required to buy licenses.

No decisions have been made on any of these items yet, but they go back to Council on September 28. Now is the time to contact your Councillor if you live in West Lincoln. Let them know where you stand!

• 2 weeks later...

West Lincoln Council has turned down Sunday gun hunting. Municipal Hunting Licenses have been referred back to Township Staff for review. If you have opinions on municipal licenses, let the Township know.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep up the pressure folks, its working! :)

West Lincoln Councillors are hearing from residents and are asking to bring this back to the table. If you haven't yet, contact your Councillor or the Mayor and let them know how you feel! :)

Here's an e-mail I received today:

"We have lobbied the West Lincoln Council and T. M. has told me that counciler Joyner will be reintroducing Sunday gun hunting at a Council meeting on Monday Oct. 26th at 7:00pm

We need the chambers packed that night."

LET"S DO IT! <_<

Archived