Center pin reel(float reel) vs Fly reel

fisherguy889

Whats the difference from center pin reel to fly reel?

I don't know much about these kind of reels, to me they look and work the same way.

Centerpin reel is used for float fishing and is a single action reel, usually with no drag. It is an extremely sensitive reel which runs on a sheilded bearing system or bushings. The reel is designed to pay out line as the float travels down stream, thus preventing any drag to your offering. It is the purest presentation you can achieve in a river system.

Fly reels are used with fly rods and are primarily used to hold fly line. Most anglers strip line by hand when fighting a fish, not even using the reel. Although companies are starting to produce the fly reels with drags for larger fish.

They are similar in design but miles apart in their fishing application.

Hope this helps.

RB

Centerpin reel is used for float fishing and is a single action reel, usually with no drag. It is an extremely sensitive reel which runs on a sheilded bearing system or bushings. The reel is designed to pay out line as the float travels down stream, thus preventing any drag to your offering. It is the purest presentation you can achieve in a river system.

Fly reels are used with fly rods and are primarily used to hold fly line. Most anglers strip line by hand when fighting a fish, not even using the reel. Although companies are starting to produce the fly reels with drags for larger fish.

They are similar in design but miles apart in their fishing application.

Hope this helps.

RB

Thank for the information, I got martin fly fishing kit from canadain tire, I don't know if I could float fish with it.

That was a good summary by Roebaggin about the two reels. I would like to add though you can float flies with a fly rod/reel using the nymphing technique and mending your line as it drifts. Having said that, you will never achieve the the "purity of a long drift" like a float reel. I use three types of rods and reels (Float, FLY & Spin) and each one provides it's advantages or disadvantages over the others. All three types require a different "style" for the most part.

Peter's Tackle has a good selection of float reels - rods in St. Catherines.

Tight lines and screeming reels!

I occasionally use a flyrod for steelhead on smaller, shallower streams where the runs are fairly short using the above nymphing technique. In addition to what has been mentioned, I use a strike indicator an appropriate distance up my tippet for the water depth and a couple of fine shot between the indicator and the fly. For an indicator I usually take a corkie and thread it on my tippet and peg it in place with a toothpick. With an upstream mend or 2 you can approximate the same presentation as a dedicated float rod setup. As to nymphs I find I like the bead head styles as they get down better and a yarn fly is also a good choice for this technique when your quarry is steelhead. I assume your setup includes a floating fly line which is what you would use for this.

Edit: a strike indicator is a fly fishing term that means float

Archived