Migratory fishky's

alexthegrrr8

Hey Gang:

Here's a little report from Bronte Creek. It isn't the most recent as this was Thursday.

I decided to pack up the fly gear and head down to Bronte Thursday for a little scouting mission. Upon arrival at Petro Can Park I opened my door and was greeted by the smell of salmon carcass. I decided to throw on my waders and have a looksy. I could see that the water was clear and the flow was down. I decided to walk upstream as opposed to down to Rebecca. It took a while to see my first fish as I had seen nothing from Petro Can up until I ran into another angler fishing a pool. During the walk I had seen all but 6 carcasses floating or on bottom. So had there been a run since the tornadoes or were they still in the lake? That is the question. The fish in this pool were indeed fresh run and one poor 10-15 lb hen had a Lamprey stuck to her.

At any rate I was skunked after utilizing a quarter of my fly box that day. For the record the other angler fishing the pool had no luck either using roe and a variety of lures. I might've had something grab my "Sucker Spawn" but I write it off as a salmon hitting my line. Who knows.... maybe this this rain will drive them up and give us a shot before the close of the season. Come onnnnnnn rain!

Alex

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Gang:

Here's a little report from Bronte Creek. It isn't the most recent as this was Thursday.

I decided to pack up the fly gear and head down to Bronte Thursday for a little scouting mission. Upon arrival at Petro Can Park I opened my door and was greeted by the smell of salmon carcass. I decided to throw on my waders and have a looksy. I could see that the water was clear and the flow was down. I decided to walk upstream as opposed to down to Rebecca. It took a while to see my first fish as I had seen nothing from Petro Can up until I ran into another angler fishing a pool. During the walk I had seen all but 6 carcasses floating or on bottom. So had there been a run since the tornadoes or were they still in the lake? That is the question. The fish in this pool were indeed fresh run and one poor 10-15 lb hen had a Lamprey stuck to her.

At any rate I was skunked after utilizing a quarter of my fly box that day. For the record the other angler fishing the pool had no luck either using roe and a variety of lures. I might've had something grab my "Sucker Spawn" but I write it off as a salmon hitting my line. Who knows.... maybe this this rain will drive them up and give us a shot before the close of the season. Come onnnnnnn rain!

Alex

Great report Im gonna check out a local creek today to see if I can see any running.

I thought fish swam? They "Run" now,.............. j/k the slaughter has begun but I will for warn all of you's right now. The MNR is NOT in charge of Petro park anymore, as of Aug 09 the Halton Regional Police are now checking any and everyone for everything. Just be sure you are fishing legal because if your not they aren't F'ing around this year. You can now call the non emerg line at 905-825-4747 and they will take down your info and send a cop, I called last night for people fishing in the trespassing side of the creek and the cops where there in about 1 hour, not bad considering the MNR never even showed up. Guy's all I can say is don't shag up down there because your being watched. Enjoy the fishing and may everyone play safe, the water level has raised and it will only get worse by tomorrow, stay clear for the next day or 2 until things settle down (I'm strictly speaking for tomorrows rain) 20-35 mm

as I said, slaughter house. the poachers are back for another season but be warned they are being watched very carefully. MNR is no longer coming down to petro park, it's the Halton Regional police now and they aren't taking no doo-doo. If your breaking ANY rules out there then they are going to nail you to the Max. Don't take my word for it though, watch for your self, I've seen and talked to them 3 times this week alone and they aren't taking NO excusses

Heh it was only a matter of time until that gentrified fisherman hating town decided to give up on the MNR and sick the cops on anglers. Probably in the midst of some bureaucratic hissy fit for the province lifting the sanctuary that never should've been there in the first place, so in retaliation they'll try to pocket Bronte's share of fine $$$.

Oh and Steve-O, you do know that No Trespassing smoke & mirrors is dubious at best and practically impossible to uphold in court. I had one of their by-law officers charge me last year, after I lodged my court date charges were dropped. Shocker. I really HATE Oakville and the suburban numpties that infest it.

as I said, slaughter house. the poachers are back for another season but be warned they are being watched very carefully. MNR is no longer coming down to petro park, it's the Halton Regional police now and they aren't taking no doo-doo. If your breaking ANY rules out there then they are going to nail you to the Max. Don't take my word for it though, watch for your self, I've seen and talked to them 3 times this week alone and they aren't taking NO excusses

Good that the police aren't taking any sh!t from poachers now.

Good that the police aren't taking any sh!t from poachers now.

This is a good thing. I think that the Halton guys taking care of Bronte is a good thing. To be honest I wish there were a lot more CO's out there to patrol and keep an eye on things. I was ecstatic this spring on the UC when I was at a diner taking a bite when I met a CO. I was there talking to my acquaintance who was showing me new water when he piped up... "I hope you guys have licenses" to which we replied "you bet". He informed us that he was the CO for that stretch and he'd be on the water later.

The fish can't protect themselves from the poaching public so it's our responsibility to help them out. I always wondered why the MNR couldn't utilize a system like the NRP and other police forces and have auxillary officers. At least the Halton boys got out there in good time.

These rains should bring in one final push of fish into the tribs if all goes well before the close on the 30th.

Alex

went today and there were A LOT of salmon and brown trout even the odd (redish trout)?everyone had fish on a stringer or in a bag lots of fish it was crazy

that reddish trout might have been a sockeye they get a red back and hump when spawning were they fairly small? and yes there are sockeye's in Lake O just not alot.

yeah it was swimming around a pool of salmon and trout ...the trout went under the trees but the salmon swam away.i thought the red fish was a brooky but it was clearly red under like 2 ft visibility.it looked like 25- 30 inches

Might have been a coho, they get a red colour once in the river

I thought fish swam? They "Run" now,.............. j/k the slaughter has begun but I will for warn all of you's right now. The MNR is NOT in charge of Petro park anymore, as of Aug 09 the Halton Regional Police are now checking any and everyone for everything. Just be sure you are fishing legal because if your not they aren't F'ing around this year. You can now call the non emerg line at 905-825-4747 and they will take down your info and send a cop, I called last night for people fishing in the trespassing side of the creek and the cops where there in about 1 hour, not bad considering the MNR never even showed up. Guy's all I can say is don't shag up down there because your being watched. Enjoy the fishing and may everyone play safe, the water level has raised and it will only get worse by tomorrow, stay clear for the next day or 2 until things settle down (I'm strictly speaking for tomorrows rain) 20-35 mm

I dont mean to start a bi##h fest but from the interpretation of the regs that I saw isnt perto Canada park a sanctuary. And for the record I am not saying it definitely is but we just recently checked the regs to see if the sanctuary changed or not. Again not trying to start anything but opening up some dialogue from you experienced guys.

I dont mean to start a bi##h fest but from the interpretation of the regs that I saw isnt perto Canada park a sanctuary. And for the record I am not saying it definitely is but we just recently checked the regs to see if the sanctuary changed or not. Again not trying to start anything but opening up some dialogue from you experienced guys.

My interpretation from the regs before I set out today to get skunked in Twenty (no fish there.... compared to the 3 or 4 Sunday) is that the season is extended in Bronte from Hwy 2 (Rebecca?) upstream until Dec 30th I think. Then it closes with fishing being open downstream to the harbour. Please correct me if I'm way wrong.

Alex

i know you guys are happy about the cops patrolling, but if you lived/worked in oakville, you'd rather the cops doing THEIR JOB, and CO'S doing THEIR JOB.

cops should not be doing what a CO should be.

we pay cops a lot better than to patrol creeks looking for snaggers.

get the cops back on the streets looking for crackies/dealers/muggers/thefts/break-ins/car thefts/robberies/cop stuff - that is what they were trained to do.

get the CO's back in the field.

Exactly Steve ! We pay cops $70 grand to chase fish poachers ? We can't get the cops to stop the speeders that go by every day ! Now I know why......... :rolleyes::huh: . How many CO's do night patrol when the poachers feel safe from being caught ? I would rather see fishing laws changed to match hunting hours if that would stop night poachers.......ya , I know , we don't need more restrictions , but we might see that happen some day.......

i know you guys are happy about the cops patrolling, but if you lived/worked in oakville, you'd rather the cops doing THEIR JOB, and CO'S doing THEIR JOB.

cops should not be doing what a CO should be.

we pay cops a lot better than to patrol creeks looking for snaggers.

get the cops back on the streets looking for crackies/dealers/muggers/thefts/break-ins/car thefts/robberies/cop stuff - that is what they were trained to do.

get the CO's back in the field.

I couldn't agree more. I guess from a non-residents pov that it's better than nothing. The Ontario Government really should find a way to get more money in the budget to hire more.. the only catch is that they'll never find that room in the budget to help protect our assets and resources.

Alex

Ok, where to begin....

1st: Petro Park is open from Rebecca St bridge upstream to the south side of the 407 bridge til Dec 31. Anything North of 407 bridge is closed as of Oct. 1, After Dec 31 you can only fish from Hwy #2 (Lakeshore Rd) Bridge south to the lake.

2nd: I'm glad we all have opinions about who should look after water ways and what not but before we pass judgement know the reason's...

A) The section between Lakeshore Rd (Hwy #2) bridge upstream to Rebecca St bridge is NOT a sanctuary anymore, 1 year ago they changed the rules and reg's to make it a No Trespassing area. Residents were complaining to much with loud noise at night along with tonnes of garbage. The C.O's for this area were few and far between and couldn't keep up with the calls. Having said that the C.O (MNR) can only protect water ways and the fish that live in them (poachers), they can not enforce trespassing laws and thats where the Police come into play. Now that this section is deemed a No Trespassing section and owned by the city of Oakville fishermen from far and wide can blame Oakville for this new By-Law. It goes to show that if you treat natural area's with disgrace and ignorance it will be taken away and you will have no one to blame except yourselves. Even though this part of Bronte has been closed for fishing for many of years with different by-laws guy's still think it's ok to walk on out and start fishing where they see fit. Rules are rules moron's, follow them as you would while driving. You don't drive up a one way street just because it's faster then taking the right way, so you certainly don't fish in a closed area just because there's fish there. To all that cheat the system, I hope you get burned one day and pay the price.

Bronte in a nut shell

My interpretation from the regs before I set out today to get skunked in Twenty (no fish there.... compared to the 3 or 4 Sunday) is that the season is extended in Bronte from Hwy 2 (Rebecca?) upstream until Dec 30th I think. Then it closes with fishing being open downstream to the harbour. Please correct me if I'm way wrong.

Alex

Hwy 2 is Lakeshore @ that point. When I looked @ the regs it said fishing open from Hwy 2 up to 407, it used to be up to the bridge @ Hwy 5 (Dundas St.) from the old Rebecca St. bridge. I have never been up that far ( 407 ? ). I have been told by other fisherman that the creek stops just north of the Bronte Creek Conservation Area.

This is from the 2009 Regs - cut & paste

Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout and pacific Salmon Extended Fall Season (4th Sat. in Apr. to Dec. 31)

Bronte creek - Town of Oakville from Hwy. 2

upstream to the south side of Hwy. 407

PS. I went last week, fish were very active and hungry, 2 of the 3 were hooked within seconds of the casting ( row bags - no trebles ). Sorrry no pics, camera was left @ home. All 3 released and swam away.

Alex

Fair enough I briefly checked it a couple weeks ago and thought it was from the mouth to HWY 2(lake shore).

I was shocked because I have been fishing Petro Park forever...

Thanks

I was at Bronte on Saturday morning with my son and fished south of Rebecca St.

I have a copy of the regs and also checked again online using my blackberry while I was there

To confirm that the area south of Rebecca is no longer a sanctuary.

I am now shocked to read that I was trespassing!!

Where are the signs posted that there is no trespassing in this area?

I did not see any posted in the area.

The only sign I saw was the old one coming down the road into the parking lot

stating that the park closes at dusk.

Can someone verify this No trespassing bylaw?

Guy's stop being so uneducated, everyone that fishes Bronte Creek knows that you can NOT fish anywhere south of Rebecca St Bridge down stream to Lakeshore Rd. Bridge. It's been this way for many years now and has not changed. STOP FISHING there, do you know what the conseqences are going to be if this continues. They are thinking of closing down Petro Park completely as of Oct 1 and no fishing at all and this will all come from idiots that keep breaking the rules. For the love of fishing stop being a A hole and fish where you can. Read my previous post 3 messages back and you will see what I have sent to help you guys. I've been fishing Bronte for more then 15 years now and know it like the back of my hand. I don't understand what the big deal is about fishing in a Trespassing are, it's no different the Port D and fishing right by the dam, its trespassing. I will take picture of ALL the signs they have posted in bronte a little later today and post them, I will even go as far as taping the police when they come down here and you can here it from them. Be for warned as well there is a River Watch Program going into affect very soon for Bronte, no more A holes with nets acros the river and so long to the poachers. If you need more info about Bronte I will be more then happy to help you, if you dont believe me then call 905-825-4747 and ask for the Marine Division.

Guy's stop being so uneducated, everyone that fishes Bronte Creek knows that you can NOT fish anywhere south of Rebecca St Bridge down stream to Lakeshore Rd. Bridge. It's been this way for many years now and has not changed. STOP FISHING there, do you know what the conseqences are going to be if this continues. They are thinking of closing down Petro Park completely as of Oct 1 and no fishing at all and this will all come from idiots that keep breaking the rules. For the love of fishing stop being a A hole and fish where you can. Read my previous post 3 messages back and you will see what I have sent to help you guys. I've been fishing Bronte for more then 15 years now and know it like the back of my hand. I don't understand what the big deal is about fishing in a Trespassing are, it's no different the Port D and fishing right by the dam, its trespassing. I will take picture of ALL the signs they have posted in bronte a little later today and post them, I will even go as far as taping the police when they come down here and you can here it from them. Be for warned as well there is a River Watch Program going into affect very soon for Bronte, no more A holes with nets acros the river and so long to the poachers. If you need more info about Bronte I will be more then happy to help you, if you dont believe me then call 905-825-4747 and ask for the Marine Division.

I understand the frustration..... as i said i am not familiar with the oakville area. at all. all these street names, and bridges, i have know clue where they are. I have only been to petro park at night. I was not even aware i was trespassing. lol a simple, NO, you were trespassing would have sufficed. Not calling me an A hole. But in my defence, at least im a new A hole who doesnt know any better. Until now. Thanks for helping me realize my A holeishness!

I understand the frustration..... as i said i am not familiar with the oakville area. at all. all these street names, and bridges, i have know clue where they are. I have only been to petro park at night. I was not even aware i was trespassing. lol a simple, NO, you were trespassing would have sufficed. Not calling me an A hole. But in my defence, at least im a new A hole who doesnt know any better. Until now. Thanks for helping me realize my A holeishness!

Dude it wasn't a direct attack on you, I'm sorry. I realized what I put after the fact, but it gets so frustrating when you see guy's year in and year out doing the same doo-doo over and over, it's not the new guy's that I'm writting about but the ones that are plan ignorant and purposely go into area that are known to be off limits. I miss the Bronte it once was years back. Dam Internet fishermen

Archived