Migratory fishky's

alexthegrrr8

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It all went wrong when people wanna debate the rules and reg's with fishermen on this board. We didnt make the rules, but there are a few of us that follow them and try to point them out to others that may not have the knownledge or know how. Funny thing is is when you try to educate people they take it as an attack and put their defence up when in reality there's no need for it. Don't argue the point of trespassing with other angler's but rather call the Halton Regional Police and find out from them. If they say no fishing and you still believe that you can fish there then do so but the risk falls into the individuals hands. All I can say now is that the section that's being spoken of has been closed for MANY years now and still to this day it is not opened for fishing, its a rule that's not hard to follow but seems hard to accept. Anyways enjoy the last few weeks of fishing salmon as they will all be done for very soon, then the real fishing starts : ) bow's and browns

Hula Popper I did call the local branch of the MNR. I was told the area is under an extended season for salmon browns and rainbows. I then called the Marine Division of Halton Regional Police. The Constable on duty told me if I was in a boat I would not be tresspassing. So here is my dilemma. You are telling people the area is closed off for fishing. Yet the authorities are telling me I am able to fish there, but from a boat. The reason I like fishing this area is last year I did catch a 7lb fresh chinook on a spoon. It hit the spoon so hard only my snap swivel was sticking out of its mouth. If it is only an agression strike, or reaction strike...its still a strike and not snagging. Heck even when fish are feeding I have foul hooked some that struck at the bait and missed. (of course they were returned to the water as they were not legally hooked). Oh by the way the Marine division 905-825-4747 extention is 5322 if anyone needs to call.

People need to remember a thing about the internet believe 1/2 of what you read and investigate matters for yourself.

Oh by the way the Marine division 905-825-4747 extention is 5322 if anyone needs to call.

People need to remember a thing about the internet believe 1/2 of what you read and investigate matters for yourself.

Well said :D

To Snidley and Hula Popper

I have read this post and I have some suggestions as to why your message is not getting across.

You are treating people on this board with way too much respect.

HP

use the word A-hole a lot more

threaten people a lot more

don't explain things clearly just repeat the same retoric over and over

paint everyone with the same brush

Snid

use even more demeaning language

accuse all bank anglers of being slobs

make it even more clear that MSDS

be more demonstrative in your contempt for peasants that fish

I am sure if you improve in these areas you will get a much better response . ;)

I love salmon season.

I have read this post and I have some suggestions as to why your message is not getting across.

HP

Snid

use even more demeaning language

accuse all bank anglers of being slobs

make it even more clear that MSDS

be more demonstrative in your contempt for peasants that fish

I am sure if you improve in these areas you will get a much better response . ;)

I love salmon season.

;) well said Hammercarp.

I'd like to start off by defending myself in respect's to the comment that Mr. Hammercarp has so kindly added to this topic: Here is the Qoute....

HP

Having looked over all my comments that I kindly took the time to write to educate people on here that may not know the rules since they have changed, I have reviewed all of them and see nothing in where I had pin pointed / accusing / or centered out anyone person in paticular and called them an A-Hole, as a matter of fact I clearly stated in one of my post's in brackets that ( this is intended for anyone person that breaks the rules and reg's of fishing) that being called an A-Hole. I secondly apolizied to a board member that though I was calling him an A-hole and told him only after I submitted the comment did I realize what I put... so for that again to that member I'm sorry. So before saying that I'm rude and should be a little nicer read all my comments instead of some. I explain myself VERY clearly right from the start but unfortunately some people refuse to accept rules and change.

Having said all of that I would now like to present the proof that you can not fish south of Rebecca St bridge.

Picture #1: A look east towards the stairs up to Rebecca St. Anyone that fishes these waters will recognizes all of the pictures I'm posting

DSC08252.jpg

Picture #2: looking toward the stair's leading up to Rebecca St (River Behind me)

DSC08253.jpg

Picture #3: The fork in the trail ( Left trail leads to river uder Rebecca St Bridge) (Right Trail leads to Petro parking lot) (Stairs up to Rebecca st behind me)

DSC08255.jpg

Picture #4: The sewer out flow drain right by the stair's

DSC08256.jpg

Picture #5: Stair's leading up to Street level

DSC08257.jpg

Picture #6: The Only trail that leads to the restricted area of No Fishing, only other way in down the river bed.

DSC08258.jpg

Picture #7: What do we have here

DSC08259.jpg

Picture #8: The trail leading to private property, beyond this sign it's trespassing (it's clearly marked)

DSC08261.jpg

Picture #9: Looking down the stairs from street level at Rebecca St Bridge, anyone that parks at the church would encounter this sign on their way down.

DSC08264.jpg

Picture #10: No Fishing Sign due to Trespassing Act.

DSC08265.jpg

I guess I can only post so many pictures, to be continued.....

after reading this entire thread, I am left wondering a few things..........and this is gonna be directly aimed at the "cop callers" of this thread.

first of all, the question I have, is why do you care, or why do you care that much? I am in no way condoning bad behaviour when it comes to the law and conservation issues..............that's not my intention and don't want a pissing match about what I believe or don't believe. so, take all that out and then answer that question................why do you care? are you MNR or local police? if not, then why does it matter so much? you aren't gonna change anything. it's been going on for centuries and is as much a part of our culture as hockey, hunting, dog sledding, etc, etc. you won't even make a dent as far as calling the cops on a few people. even if they do get charged, you don't think they'll be back anyway? if they are doing illegal stuff, they obviously don't care about the cops or the law and will be back anyway. so in essence, you've done nothing at all.

the other side of this coin, is that in many parts of the world, including this part, many people don't take too kindly to people being cop callers. they consider you to be a "snitch" if you act like that. and you have no idea who you are dealing with when you call the cops on people. some of these fisherman could be gang members, bikers, you name it and all of them have an anti-snitch law amongst themselves. you may end up getting badly hurt or worse because of it. so, when you think you are doing right, you may end up on the wrong end of the stick, so to speak and was a fish really worth it?

again, just pointing out something you may not have thought about.

Just my opinion:

The above post is way we are losing our fishing areas. People with the thoughts and mantality of this makes the world a real difficult place to live.

Secondly thank you, I take GREAT pride in the sport that I have grown up to love in so many way's. To sit back and watch it get destroyed by ignorant people is not going to cut it for me. Bronte was founded on a fishing village and many old timers have lost their lives because of it, i will not disrespect any of them dead or alive and will do everything in my power to put a stop to idiot's that think they will get away with breaking the rules. Having said that I also will call the cops if I see an idiot driver out there, I was brought up with morals and beliefs and stand strongly in what I believe in. Call me a snitch all you want but when it comes down to it I will have the last laugh watch guy's being ticketed and fined for breaking by-law rules...

That's my 2 cent's

I'd like to start off by defending myself in respect's to the comment that Mr. Hammercarp has so kindly added to this topic: Here is the Qoute....

Having looked over all my comments that I kindly took the time to write to educate people on here that may not know the rules since they have changed, I have reviewed all of them and see nothing in where I had pin pointed / accusing / or centered out anyone person in paticular and called them an A-Hole,

Sorry but I must disagree. There are a few post in the trash bin that you were not able to review.

after reading this entire thread, I am left wondering a few things..........and this is gonna be directly aimed at the "cop callers" of this thread.

first of all, the question I have, is why do you care, or why do you care that much? I am in no way condoning bad behaviour when it comes to the law and conservation issues..............that's not my intention and don't want a pissing match about what I believe or don't believe. so, take all that out and then answer that question................why do you care? are you MNR or local police? if not, then why does it matter so much? you aren't gonna change anything. it's been going on for centuries and is as much a part of our culture as hockey, hunting, dog sledding, etc, etc. you won't even make a dent as far as calling the cops on a few people. even if they do get charged, you don't think they'll be back anyway? if they are doing illegal stuff, they obviously don't care about the cops or the law and will be back anyway. so in essence, you've done nothing at all.

the other side of this coin, is that in many parts of the world, including this part, many people don't take too kindly to people being cop callers. they consider you to be a "snitch" if you act like that. and you have no idea who you are dealing with when you call the cops on people. some of these fisherman could be gang members, bikers, you name it and all of them have an anti-snitch law amongst themselves. you may end up getting badly hurt or worse because of it. so, when you think you are doing right, you may end up on the wrong end of the stick, so to speak and was a fish really worth it?

I think this could be considered as a threat, be very careful.

Furthermore I couldn't disagree more. Poaching, trespassing and littering anglers are ruining it for everyone. This thread was getting stupid but now its official.

Hula Popper your point is well taken. It is plain as day that fishing in that area is NOT PERMITTED FROM SHORE. I spoke again to Constable Garland of the Marine Detachment of Halton Regional Police. He has been laying tresspass charges in this area. He informed me that people on shore will be charged for trespassing. Boaters, on the other hand, cannot be charged as long as no part of thier boat or body touches the shoreline. He stated that the Ministy Of Natural Resources is the ultimate body governing the fisheries. Oakville can only stop people from fishing from shore with the trespass to property act. Hopefully this clears up some of th confusion about fishing that area. Again, don't have to take my word for it, or ayone elses. WHEN IN DOUBT CHECK IT OUT! A few calls to the MNR and Marine Division sould make is crystal clear for you, as they ere extremely helpful to me.

Its happening here too. Last night i watched a 3 or 4 guys up at the dam in port. Snagging fish and taking skeen. Also about ten guys under the green bridge. No one is enforcing the no trespassing rules, so no one is following them

We care about this issue because if we don't then bad stuff happens.

Picture #7 showing the no fishing sign.

That sign was not there when I had gone to that area.

That is the exact spot where I gained access to the area and the only sign there last Friday Oct 2nd, and the Saturday before, Sept. 26th was the sign above it stating No Pedestrian access for the stairs.

That No Fishing sign was added sometime after Last Friday Morning, October 1st.

If that sign would have been there I would have seen it, and I would not have gone there.

I guess with all the calls made to the Marine unit questioning the area, they finally got someone off of their butts and had a sign posted.

Hula Popper your point is well taken. It is plain as day that fishing in that area is NOT PERMITTED FROM SHORE. I spoke again to Constable Garland of the Marine Detachment of Halton Regional Police. He has been laying tresspass charges in this area. He informed me that people on shore will be charged for trespassing. Boaters, on the other hand, cannot be charged as long as no part of thier boat or body touches the shoreline. He stated that the Ministy Of Natural Resources is the ultimate body governing the fisheries. Oakville can only stop people from fishing from shore with the trespass to poperty act. Hopefully this clears up some of th confusion about fishing that area. Again, don't have to take my word for it, or ayone elses. WHEN IN DOUBT CHECK IT OUT! A few calls to the MNR and Marine Division sould make is crystal clear for you, as they ere extremely helpful to me.

Thanks Hack,

As far as fishing it from a boat I couldn't agree with you more, if you are not touching bottom then you should be safe but the unfortunate thing here is people still think that if a boat is aloud then others should be aloud to walk the shore. If the police are going to enforce this by-law they have to do it for every scenario. I'm finished with this topic, I've tried to help but have gotten bashed for it, its just not worth talking about anymore. To each his/her own

Sorry but I must disagree. There are a few post in the trash bin that you were not able to review.

I think this could be considered as a threat, be very careful.

Furthermore I couldn't disagree more. Poaching, trespassing and littering anglers are ruining it for everyone. This thread was getting stupid but now its official.

Yes chilli I remember one now, but even that one wasn't that bad. But thank you for not posting it as it just would have been stupid. : )

That is the exact spot where I gained access to the area and the only sign there last Friday Oct 2nd, and the Saturday before, Sept. 26th was the sign above it stating No Pedestrian access for the stairs.

That No Fishing sign was added sometime after Last Friday Morning, October 1st.

If that sign would have been there I would have seen it, and I would not have gone there.

I guess with all the calls made to the Marine unit questioning the area, they finally got someone off of their butts and had a sign posted.

No actually the sign has been there since the april 2009, and believe me I know it has. Anyways now you know so we shouldnt have anymore issues here

I was in no way making a threat towards anyone and if it was construed that way, then I appologize. and I don't consider myself to be uneducated and I certainly have no negative attitudes towards this sport. I fish the way I do and others have their own ways.

if I saw someone fishing illegally, I too would go up to them and kindly remind them of what they are doing. if they tell me to "F" off or something, then I've at least done my part. what I am not gonna do, is be the start of something more serious...........at that point, I've done my part and that's it, done, over with. the rest is up to them to decide. all I was suggesting is that there are some very sick people in this world who might not take too lightly to being "snitched out", especially if they know you've done it. why bring that kind of heat against yourself?

I think that Hula Popper and others have done their part to "educate" others as to what is and isn't legal as far as that area is concerned. now it's up to everyone else as to how they use that info. but to resort to a vigilante style approach, isn't always the wise thing to do............going back to what I stated previously about sick people in this world. that to me, is very negative. if they had left it as informative, that's one thing, but they've taken an almost "tattle tale" attitude that, if we see you, we're gonna call the cops. my attitude is, there's always people that are gonna break the law and you'll never stop them, since that's what they do. that's their mentallity.

call the cops all you want to, that's your choice. I don't agree or disagree with this approach, since everyone is entitled to their own oppinions and choices. we are afterall, still living in a semi-free society. all I was merely pointing out was, these people that do this are on the wrong side of the law and therefore, some of them might not be upstanding citizens in our society. I did not mock your point of view, but you felt it necessary to mock mine, when all I was doing was offering another side to the coin. that's all. no more and no less. I was under the impression that that is what a forum is all about........offering oppinions and knowledge. my reply was both and I don't need to be told that my attitude is wrong for doing so. again, this is a free country. or at least it used to be anyway.

Just my opinion:

The above post is way we are losing our fishing areas. People with the thoughts and mantality of this makes the world a real difficult place to live...

Actually it's the self righteous, passive aggressive, self centred nature of Ontario suburbanites. The ones that co-opt provincial fishing regulations that place a sanctuary for purely political reasons, and when that is finally removed to frantically come up with some way to abuse yet another law to keep the chattering classes away. Personally between you hijacking posts to climb up on your soap box to accusing anglers of cheating in derbies, I have yet to see anything of merit leave your maw.

FYI using trespassing laws in this nature has a dubious legality at best. Pip squeak town councils with a Napoleon complex can't bar otherwise legal angling anymore than banning Chinese kite flying in parks. No doubt you'll retort with something equally ignorant & uninformed similar to all of your other posts, but I went out of my way to be charged last season and promptly had the charges dropped. It is an unenforceable abuse of the legal system, just because Oakville doesn't like fishing doesn't mean they can outright ban it, there are provincial & Federal laws that protect the right to fish on public land.

It's been put up in the last few days, no doubt "Hula" couldn't wait to get a pic today and scamper in here to fashion some foundation to mask his errors in other posts.

Actually it's the self righteous, passive aggressive, self centred nature of Ontario suburbanites. The ones that co-opt provincial fishing regulations that place a sanctuary for purely political reasons, and when that is finally removed to frantically come up with some way to abuse yet another law to keep the chattering classes away. Personally between you hijacking posts to climb up on your soap box to accusing anglers of cheating in derbies, I have yet to see anything of merit leave your maw.

FYI using trespassing laws in this nature has a dubious legality at best. Pip squeak town councils with a Napoleon complex can't bar otherwise legal angling anymore than banning Chinese kite flying in parks. No doubt you'll retort with something equally ignorant & uninformed similar to all of your other posts, but I went out of my way to be charged last season and promptly had the charges dropped. It is an unenforceable abuse of the legal system, just because Oakville doesn't like fishing doesn't mean they can outright ban it, there are provincial & Federal laws that protect the right to fish on public land.

It's been put up in the last few days, no doubt "Hula" couldn't wait to get a pic today and scamper in here to fashion some foundation to mask his errors in other posts.

LOL :lol:

Dilly you know that area has been a notorious snaggers spot for decades. The original sanctuary was an abuse of fisheries laws but in the governments defense it was initiated to try and contain lugans that were literally stealing local residents lawn furniture and burning it to keep warm at night where they were "fishing" with crickets (the 3 pronged variety). This year downstream of the park there were 3 stolen lawnchairs within the first week of the shore anglers getting a sniff of fish in the area. The garbage was really pilling up until the city sent someone to pick it up. The water quickly became choked with line and i have caught several salmon with hooks in the head. They can't buy crickets anymore so they make do with a treble anchored with an egg or bell sinker. The slaughter that still goes on in Petro Park is an abomination to legitimate angling. I've seen whole families of snaggers drag a park bench into the river so that dad and the kids could sit mid river while dad instructed the youngsters in how to snag up the salmon as they swam by. Some of the pier crew from Bronte go into the Rebecca St shallows multiple times per season so that they can accumulate a freezer full of chum. What guys are doing from shore at Rebecca St both in the legal to fish section and in the trespass section is snagging for eggs plain and simple. The city is concerned about litter, vandalism, drinking in public and trespass to their park property and the property of private citizens that live in their town. These are concerns that as an Oakville resident I find completely legitimate. I just wish that there was also a concern for the salmon, brown trout and rainbow trout then they could close the Petro Park completely during the fall so as to reduce the slaughter of these prize gamefish from the butchers on shore.

There are lots of legitimate holes on Bronte Creek, some to 8 feet deep and any real angler can fish those spots legally and ethically but because salmon in the river are hard to catch these birds at Petro Park would rather just floss or snag them. And the reason is simple, they need eggs to catch bows later in the season. It's all part of the same mindset that occurs at Dalousie, Oshawa Creek, the Whirlpool, and the common denominator is always eggs. As I have said here, on spoonpullers and floatfishing.net lugan behavior is virtually always centered around the collection of bait eggs and it's time to follow Ohio's lead and ban the use of roe as bait altogether. Snidley

All in all Snidley well said. I've seen some of this dubious activity as well. Not there but in the Twenty. Minus the picnic tables. I'm aware of those holes that you mention because I was wading one day and things got a little deep on me quickly. I didn't go all the way in but it was in a spot that caught me off guard. The flow rate was pretty decent that day... yikes! I agree though.

Alex

BTW.. I have never heard the term "cricket" do I really wanna know?

Well if people are gutting fish for roe only they can be charged and should be charged under the "allowing gamefish suitable for human consumption to spoil" I myself return 90% of my fish to the water. If I do decide, which is very rarely, to keep a legally caught female for roe, I make sure I either eat the fish myself or give it to a friend who I know will consume it. Since I am tossing spoons with a fast retrieve I doubt that any of the fish I catch are "flossed". I have occasionally foul hooked them, but in murky water at night there is no way I could be intentionally doing it. Any fish foul hooked are released asap. Also any fish that are hooked deeply in the mouth and are bleeding are kept for my smoker. I find I get 90% males as they seem to be super aggressive during the spawn and strike at lures in "anger". Oh btw I ate a few "darker coloured" fish last year and they were great!

I agree with Snidley and with Hula Popper when it comes to how people fish for Salmon, but I also realize that people always have fished this way and most likely, always will. the only way to end this, is to somehow remove these spots altogether. that may be logistically hard to do and I wouldn't even want to suggest how you would go about that, but it seems to be a legitmate way to end it.

I think a roe ban would be a fantastic idea, but again, people will break the law with this idea, just as they do with every other law that society imposes on us. I think the MNR shoudl do a study on the Ohio ban and see if it actually works, or not, then impose a law based on the results. it won't completely stop what's going on, but may reduce it significantly.

from my standpoint, I personally don't get it. there's plenty of other baits that are readily available for anglers to use.............even fake roe. I personally don't keep fish and don't kill fish if I can get away with it. although, that happens sometimes and can't always be helped. for some reason, I feel bad. call me a softy if you want to, but I fell bad when an animal dies, especially when it's my hands that did it. I even felt bad when I ran over a rabbit last week. that being said, I will never understand how someone can catch a Salmon and deliberately milk it for it's eggs and toss it aside to die. to me, that's not right and especially not a very sporting mentallity for an angler to have. I feel that it's a deliberate waste of our natural resources and should be put to a stop.

Archived