Migratory fishky's

alexthegrrr8

Thats wicked kool! I never knew that there was sockeyes in lake Ontario.

I heard it somewere but I doupt it, Sockeye are strictly plankton eaters and are usually quite small the muskie and pike with kill them off too quick

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I heard it somewere but I doupt it, Sockeye are strictly plankton eaters and are usually quite small the muskie and pike with kill them off too quick

actually they feed on other insects and shrimp and so do many other salmon species notice how the oceanic salmon have pink flesh? This is due to their consumption of shimp and other shellfish. In turn they digest the pink pigment which goes back into their flesh. Landlocked salmon have lighter pink or white flesh due to the fact that they are not getting that pigment. They can be caught on flies or other baits. I believe I learned this when I was 6 at a red lobster somewhere.

actually they feed on other insects and shrimp and so do many other salmon species notice how the oceanic salmon have pink flesh? This is due to their consumption of shimp and other shellfish. In turn they digest the pink pigment which goes back into their flesh. Landlocked salmon have lighter pink or white flesh due to the fact that they are not getting that pigment. They can be caught on flies or other baits. I believe I learned this when I was 6 at a red lobster somewhere.

ah good ol red lobster, you are right about that there flesh is pink cause of shrimp, The chemical I beileve is called Caroteen something along that line, but have you ever opened up can of sockeye and seen it pink, sockeye will eat eggs, when spawning for some reason there wiring screws up during spawn giving them cannablistic tendices. Sockeye are hardly worth catching anyways, but there are Pinks in Ontario which kinda suprised me don't see them caught that often.

I'm off topic a little here but next late summer/fall I'm heading up to the Soo to try my hand in the St. Mary's Rapids for some Pinks and Atlantics. Did I mention the Miramichi and Reversing Falls (striper's) as well in June?

Alex

LOL.. yep just living the dream boys... living the dream.

The meat of an Upper Niagara River rainbow trout is also pink due to the shallow water. The sun is able to penetrate to the bottom allowing more fresh water shrimp to thrive. Lower Niagara River rainbow trout (the same river) have a much whiter meat. I definately prefer Upper rainbows for table fare

Archived