Migratory fishky's

alexthegrrr8

Hula Popper not tying to be an a-hole but I just read over the regs, and I cannot find anywhere that states that there is a fish sanctuary south of Rebecca Street Bridge to Lakeshore Bridge. I understand that he land around it might be private, but if you are in a boat, how would they be able to enforce that?

Bronte Creek - City of Burlington and

Flamborough Twp., from the C.P.R.

track in the Village of Progreston

downstream to the south side of

Hwy. 407, including part of Limestone

Creek upstream to Steeles Avenue in

the Town of Milton.

Fish sanctuary - no fishing from

Jan. 1 - Fri. before 4th Sat. in Apr. &

Oct. 1 - Dec. 31.

This is the only information on fish sanctuaries I could find in the regulations for Bronte Creek.

Update: Sorry was on phone with the MNR....and yes fishing is allowed from Hwy 2 North to the 407 as per this clause found on page 79 of the 2008-2009 regs

Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout and Pacific Salmon Extended Fall Season (4th Sat. in Apr. to Dec. 31)

Bayfield River - Goderich and Stanley Twps. from

Hwy. 4 to the downstream side of the Hwy. 21

bridge (Huron County)

Beaver River - Collingwood Twp. from the

Thornbury Dam to Georgian Bay (Grey County)

Big Creek - Walsingham Twp., south of the Quance

Dam to Regional Road 21 at Lynedoch.

Big Otter Creek - Bayham Twp. (Elgin County)

Bighead River - St. Vincent Twp. (Grey County).

Bronte Creek - Town of Oakville from Hwy. 2

upstream to the south side of Hwy. 407

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of this has me scratching my head a little. Now I'm wondering if I was one of those uneducated a-holes legally fishing in a place where I shouldn't have been. I swear I saw no signage regarding trespassing. That day when I spent a couple of hours on Bronte I walked way upstream of Petro. Was this the trespassing section of water that I've read about in this thread? If so... I'll gladly spend my wading time further upstream. This of course is once I locate and repair the leak in my left stocking foot... there goes the Saugeen for another weekend.

Alex

Hula.... was it you who said that Bronte isn't the same? I agree I remember when Izumi.. no maybe Wasczuk filmed an episode there.

Hula Popper not tying to be an a-hole but I just read over the regs, and I cannot find anywhere that states that there is a fish sanctuary south of Rebecca Street Bridge to Lakeshore Bridge. I understand that he land around it might be private, but if you are in a boat, how would they be able to enforce that?

Bronte Creek - City of Burlington and

Flamborough Twp., from the C.P.R.

track in the Village of Progreston

downstream to the south side of

Hwy. 407, including part of Limestone

Creek upstream to Steeles Avenue in

the Town of Milton.

Fish sanctuary - no fishing from

Jan. 1 - Fri. before 4th Sat. in Apr. &

Oct. 1 - Dec. 31.

This is the only information on fish sanctuaries I could find in the regulations for Bronte Creek.

Update: Sorry was on phone with the MNR....and yes fishing is allowed from Hwy 2 North to the 407 as per this clause found on page 79 of the 2008-2009 regs

Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout and Pacific Salmon Extended Fall Season (4th Sat. in Apr. to Dec. 31)

Bayfield River - Goderich and Stanley Twps. from

Hwy. 4 to the downstream side of the Hwy. 21

bridge (Huron County)

Beaver River - Collingwood Twp. from the

Thornbury Dam to Georgian Bay (Grey County)

Big Creek - Walsingham Twp., south of the Quance

Dam to Regional Road 21 at Lynedoch.

Big Otter Creek - Bayham Twp. (Elgin County)

Bighead River - St. Vincent Twp. (Grey County).

Bronte Creek - Town of Oakville from Hwy. 2

upstream to the south side of Hwy. 407

Ok I'm going to try and explain this as simple as I can for those that are confused,

Bronte Creek from Lakeshore Rd (Hwy#2) upstream to Rebecca St Bridge (south side) is NOT a sanctuary. The rules have changed now since the MNR could not properly do their job, the ratio between CO officers and people fishing are off the scale. The MNR realized that they had a bigger problem at hand. The town of Oakville decided to claim that piece of land and close it to fishing, so now the issue is Trespassing, you will not find that stated in the MNR 2009-2010 fishing regulation or 2008-2009 as well. If you fish Bronte as much as I do then you would know of the change. If you do not understand the rules then please Call 905-825-4747, ask for the Marine department and they will transfer you. Then ask the officer whether you can fish there or not. If your rich enough then maybe you wont care but the fines for trespassing are high.

This is the same situation that occur's with Hydro dam's and Private Property, if you trespass you will be charged. So I hope you will understand now what I am trying to say and make aware. If I see you in the area I will call the cop's ( this is intended for anyone that trespasses) I'm tired of internet fishermen going to a place for the first time and not knowing the rules, if in doubt check it out..........

Ok I'm going to try and explain this as simple as I can for those that are confused,

Bronte Creek from Lakeshore Rd (Hwy#2) upstream to Rebecca St Bridge (south side) is NOT a sanctuary. The rules have changed now since the MNR could not properly do their job, the ratio between CO officers and people fishing are off the scale. The MNR realized that they had a bigger problem at hand. The town of Oakville decided to claim that piece of land and close it to fishing, so now the issue is Trespassing, you will not find that stated in the MNR 2009-2010 fishing regulation or 2008-2009 as well. If you fish Bronte as much as I do then you would know of the change. If you do not understand the rules then please Call 905-825-4747, ask for the Marine department and they will transfer you. Then ask the officer whether you can fish there or not. If your rich enough then maybe you wont care but the fines for trespassing are high.

This is the same situation that occur's with Hydro dam's and Private Property, if you trespass you will be charged. So I hope you will understand now what I am trying to say and make aware. If I see you in the area I will call the cop's ( this is intended for anyone that trespasses) I'm tired of internet fishermen going to a place for the first time and not knowing the rules, if in doubt check it out..........

Understood. Thanks for clarifying that. It appears as if I was okay that day seeing that I was well upstream of Rebecca. How is Petro Can effected then? Seeing that it's upstream of Rebecca. LOL... I didn't even know that was the name of the street there until my last time up. I took a different way home and saw the sign.

Alex

Alex

Hula the town of Oakville can claim all the land they like. THEY DO NOT OWN THE WATER! As long as I do not touch the shoreline or anchor they have no way of charging me with trespass. If you believe this is not true please enlighten me.

Bronte Creek from Lakeshore Rd (Hwy#2) upstream to Rebecca St Bridge (south side) is NOT a sanctuary. The rules have changed now since the MNR could not properly do their job, the ratio between CO officers and people fishing are off the scale. The MNR realized that they had a bigger problem at hand. The town of Oakville decided to claim that piece of land and close it to fishing, so now the issue is Trespassing, you will not find that stated in the MNR 2009-2010 fishing regulation or 2008-2009 as well. If you fish Bronte as much as I do then you would know of the change. If you do not understand the rules then please Call 905-825-4747 905-825-4747, ask for the Marine department and they will transfer you. Then ask the officer whether you can fish there or not. If your rich enough then maybe you wont care but the fines for trespassing are high.

Just got off the phone with the Marine Division of Halton Regional Police. I was referred to an officer that will be back in the office Friday. As far as the officer on duty knew the tresspass can only be enforced on the land and not on water. I will follow up on Friday and get more information.

Yes I have checked this out in the past as several fishermen have given me this misinformation about Bronte Creek many times. The City of Oakville cannot decide what waters are closed to fishing, that falls to the Ministry of Natural Resources. "The police are there to enforce the tresspassing on the land" as quoted by the marine officer on duty. Yes they can restrict people from walking on the land to get to the water, but cannot restrict people from boating up the creek and fishing it.

OK so it seems we are all clear that the area from Rebecca down to hwy2 (Lakeshore) is no longer a sanctuary as it was last year and in years past.

That is what I confirmed in the regs and that is how I base my decision to fish there.

So I ask again, how am I supposed to know that I am trespassing if there are no signs where I entered the area from.

Believe me when I tell you that I spent 1/2 hour in the parking lot checking the regs and also talking to another angler who called back to a bait shop in Toronto to look at their copy of the regs.

We both confirmed that it was no longer a sanctuary, and went down there to fish.

Believe me when I tell you that there is no visible sign posted anywhere in the parking lot or along the trail from the parking lot down to the rebecca bridge and beyond a couple of hundred yards, as this is as far as we went.

If there is a sign it is not easily visible and covered in brush.

I have always fished with a license, followed all regs, never fished for or kept a fish out of season.

If we had seen a sign we would have turned back.

SO someone please explain where exactly this No Trespassing sign is posted so I can see it for myself and also point it out to other anglers who may make the same honest mistake that I may have made.

Thanks for your help.

Anyone wanna join me on friday night headin into that "area" on float tube's??? Kinda intrested in seeing people faces when i float by the rebeeca street bridge!!! :rolleyes:

you wouldn't get very far, the water is way to low. As far as signs go they are there all along the trail that leads back to the closed area. The hole in the fence that you have to go through has a sign and there are a few trees with the signs on them. I will agree with one thing they are not in an area of plan viewing and if you did get caught you would have a legit fight on your hands, but be warned that the cops are not taking ANY excuse this year. Know the rules or don't fish there. One thing I don't get is that why would you even take the chance and fish there if you know that it's off limits, you cant wade into that area as the water is way to deep for it so walking along shore is your only hope and we all agree that that's trespassing. There's 7 km of water to fish north of the bridge with excellent fishing opportunites why fish south of the bridge, it's only going to be a matter of time that Petro Park will close down too and no body will be able to fish here. The only reason I can see fishing in the restricted area would be because no one can see you and you can poach all you want, easy pickings

Salmon edible? Are you crazy. The trespassing issue will be addressed by the cops and rightly so. The guys that shore fish from Rebeca St bridge are full on snaggers as the water is only about 2-3 feet deep and the fish are extra spooky. Any fish caught are snagged even when in the mouth. Proper fishing is available well upstream but it is difficult to legally hook salmon once they are in the river and thus we have the snagging crew at Petro Park out in force looking for ways that they can justify their lame attempts at catching a salmon by any means possible. They are lame anglers that need clusters of fish in tiny areas to "hook up" and I might add they are also digusting pigs that litter the entire area with their garbage. This area should be off limits to shore anglers at this time of year as the whole approach is an open invitation to break a variety of wildlife and private property laws. snidley

Salmon edible? Are you crazy. The trespassing issue will be addressed by the cops and rightly so. The guys that shore fish from Rebeca St bridge are full on snaggers as the water is only about 2-3 feet deep and the fish are extra spooky. Any fish caught are snagged even when in the mouth. Proper fishing is available well upstream but it is difficult to legally hook salmon once they are in the river and thus we have the snagging crew at Petro Park out in force looking for ways that they can justify their lame attempts at catching a salmon by any means possible. They are lame anglers that need clusters of fish in tiny areas to "hook up" and I might add they are also digusting pigs that litter the entire area with their garbage. This area should be off limits to shore anglers at this time of year as the whole approach is an open invitation to break a variety of wildlife and private property laws. snidley

A Men Snidley

If you read my previous posts, you will see that i just became aware of all this, i know im an A-Hole lol. now that i am EDUCATED with fishing that area, there will be no more trespassing for this guy. But that does not change the fact i have fillet'd the salmon i caught and it is in my freezer. Can someone give me an answer without calling me an A-hole? or a lame angler? i know i F'd up by catching it, but can i eat the damn thing??

If you read my previous posts, you will see that i just became aware of all this, i know im an A-Hole lol. now that i am EDUCATED with fishing that area, there will be no more trespassing for this guy. But that does not change the fact i have fillet'd the salmon i caught and it is in my freezer. Can someone give me an answer without calling me an A-hole? or a lame angler? i know i F'd up by catching it, but can i eat the damn thing??

Don't sweat the name calling , we all make mesteaks :lol: , well , most of us do....... :rolleyes: . I think that salmon would not be very tastey at this stage , soft & oily etc.....but you may get away with smoking it & let the oils run out . As far as chemical contaminants go , your average grocery store food is probably worse.......Take care bud. B)

well I may head there in the morning to look for these signs myself.

If they are there I will take pictures and post exactly where they are.

If not I will fish.

And I do not fish with a treble hook.

I agree with some of this but very little.

These salmon are mainly sterile and as such only a minuscule percentage actually spawn - I was told .01% but dont quote me on this.

Second I disagree that all fish are snagged there. If you fish a roe bag although it is possible for a fish to swim by it with an open mouth and become "snagged" it is unlikely. Guys that use trebles snag fish. I dont like the fact that people leave their garbage around the river, I dont like the fact that people gut salmon and throw them on the banks to rot, but not all people fishing this stretch of river are snaggers!

Also you really generalize all salmon fisherman. Now I know you aren't exactly the most active member of this forum but I also know that you are a salmon fisher yourself. So I ask do you fall under this category?

it's not only the guys who use trebles snag fish i have seen guys with the nice 13' float rods and reels snagging fish and lining, the circus comes to town on l y once and year and it's a blast to watch what some guys will do to get a half dead fish. i have fished bronte for sometime now and it's a different place eveytime and petro can park is the loogans hangout , i am not going for salmon anymore i want to try bows and browns in the fall and maybe early winter. i wouldn't eat a salmon this time of year.

it's not only the guys who use trebles snag fish i have seen guys with the nice 13' float rods and reels snagging fish and lining, the circus comes to town on l y once and year and it's a blast to watch what some guys will do to get a half dead fish. i have fished bronte for sometime now and it's a different place eveytime and petro can park is the loogans hangout , i am not going for salmon anymore i want to try bows and browns in the fall and maybe early winter. i wouldn't eat a salmon this time of year.

Agreed but I also have seen with my own eyes a fish approaching a bait - turn directly towards it and bite it. I dont see how this can be considered snagging.

I choose not to go there because of the crowds.

I still want to know if it's "legal" to head down in that area in a float tube without touching shore??? I've always enjoyed catching fish in my float tube, but want to know if i'm "legal" :huh:

Two words....

Navigable Waters Act.

Alex

Agreed but I also have seen with my own eyes a fish approaching a bait - turn directly towards it and bite it. I dont see how this can be considered snagging.

I choose not to go there because of the crowds.

Not going to get involved in this "debate" cuz its the same one every year. :huh::(

What you are describing is more an aggressive strike, where the male/female will try to move the offending object out of the way.---------I think.

Not going to get involved in this "debate" cuz its the same one every year. :huh::(

What you are describing is more an aggressive strike, where the male/female will try to move the offending object out of the way.---------I think.

Packrat,

your 100% right, its an aggressive attack that makes them strike, it has nothing to do with hunger. All I have to say is 10 guys where charged last night for fishing south of Rebecca st bridge, 2 of them where in float tubes. LOL their argument didn't hold up. WOW 10 guys get trespassing charges laid against them and there's still people that wanna take that chance. Doesn't seem to bright now does it?

Archived