Port Dalhousie Fish Where are you?

Dalhousie Fisherman

When I think back even 5 years, the salmon were so plentiful shorefishing Port Dalhousie. Over the next few years the numbers were up and down and the time of their entry into the channel into Twelve Mile Creek was quite variable, as early as August and as late as the end of September. This year is tough so far as the Kings are few and far between and the bite has been off and they obviously have lock jaw. The numbers are certainly not high so far. The die hards like me are out there trying to nail some fish but its been pretty tough. The fact that most days there is only a handful of fishers is a true indication of the lack of fish. I hope the Kings start to roll into the area in numbers or start biting before the Chinook salmon passes us by. The ones I have seen so far are for the most part pretty black. Water temp (too warm) obviously has been a key problem both for shorefishing and boat fishing in the area. What do you think about the whole situation?

D.F.

I feel the same way. I have been out 11 times now with my friend in port D and we didn't even get a single bite until thursday night and friday night. 5 fish on in total and only one landed in those 2 nights, but that was better than being completely skunked without a single bite the other 9 times. I think this cold snap and rain finally brought the last of them into the harbour. Last week I was standing on the end of the pier at midnight in shorts and a t-shirt.... at the end of September. It's not right.

It doesn't seem to be just port D though. We also hiked down to the whirlpool and were skunked along with the other 8 people down there from 9pm-130am. They were jumping like crazy but not interested in anything we threw at them.

The ones we hooked into the last 2 nights had tons of energy and power, they still seem fresh, although I have witnessed a few decayed ones landed too. Makes me think some of them made early runs up and waited around in the harbour and now the last fresh ones from the lake have finally come in.

We have been out there for 4 weeks now trying. Not a great season.

I was down at Port Dalhousie today and didn't see any salmon caught. The water was really dirty. People were fishing salmon using different techniques with no luck while I was there. Everybody seems to be singing the same song of woe when it comes to shorefishing salmon so far right now.

Is anyone getting them out of a boat at the end of the pier still?

The guys that I know who were boat fishing lately around the piers off the light house gave it up after trolling for a few days without success. Juvenile salmon are avilable about 8-10 miles out on Lake Ontario with rainbows. It's a long way to go and lots of money for gas without high probability of success.

D.F.

I tried fishing Port Dalhousie again this morning. There were more guys than yesterday but in the two or so hours I was there I didn't see any fish caught, neither salmon nor trout. The water had lots of weeds and "salad" today which didn't help and the water was still dirty. There were some fish jumping but I was feeling like the kid in the candy store told to look but not being able to buy anything. The fish had lock jaw. Lets hope that changes.

D.F.

When I think back even 5 years, the salmon were so plentiful shorefishing Port Dalhousie. Over the next few years the numbers were up and down and the time of their entry into the channel into Twelve Mile Creek was quite variable, as early as August and as late as the end of September. This year is tough so far as the Kings are few and far between and the bite has been off and they obviously have lock jaw. The numbers are certainly not high so far. The die hards like me are out there trying to nail some fish but its been pretty tough. The fact that most days there is only a handful of fishers is a true indication of the lack of fish. I hope the Kings start to roll into the area in numbers or start biting before the Chinook salmon passes us by. The ones I have seen so far are for the most part pretty black. Water temp (too warm) obviously has been a key problem both for shorefishing and boat fishing in the area. What do you think about the whole situation?

D.F.

Hows the water still merky anyone know? in port that is?

D.F.

The first year I fished Port Dalhousie (5-6 years ago) the salmon were jumping like pop-corn, and a few actually jumped right out of the water onto the walkway and allot of the crashing into the wall .... seems like those were the glory days, as there were plenty of salmon to be caught. I have pretty much given up on Port any more because in ALL the trips I've made out there in the past half a decade, I really haven't seen good numbers of fish caught, let alone catching any myself. I hope the rearing pens make a difference, and the numbers start to return. From what I understand, when the salmon are in, only the odd one will be tempted to bite, therefore, very large numbers would be required to provide the multitude of people who fish there with good catches on the day ....

IMHO

The first year I fished Port Dalhousie (5-6 years ago) the salmon were jumping like pop-corn, and a few actually jumped right out of the water onto the walkway and allot of the crashing into the wall .... seems like those were the glory days, as there were plenty of salmon to be caught. I have pretty much given up on Port any more because in ALL the trips I've made out there in the past half a decade, I really haven't seen good numbers of fish caught, let alone catching any myself. I hope the rearing pens make a difference, and the numbers start to return. From what I understand, when the salmon are in, only the odd one will be tempted to bite, therefore, very large numbers would be required to provide the multitude of people who fish there with good catches on the day ....

IMHO

Actually, I remember those days when the salmon were "popping" all over Port Dalhousie and yes it was 5 years ago. I can remember back then when it was not uncomon to see 10 or 20 salmon caught off the wall in an hour by the group of fishers out there. I once netted 5 fish for 5 different fishermen in a morning. Where have those days gone? Let's hope those days at some point they will come back. They say migrations of all species have cyclical patterns that sometimes change every few years. I am trying to be optimistic and hope that the hey day of fishing at Port D. will be back. What do you think??

D.F.

im going out tomorrow morning to try for some salmon if there jumping chances are they are biting might just need a brighter presentation and larger bait. I dont know what side i will be at but look for a tall kid with a pink baseball cap and thats me, thats if you wanna sit and chat.

I'll look for you Joey . I found a few spoons to toss around . I usually fish the side with the wind to my back ....longer casts ! Supposed to be a nice day . :rolleyes:

Has anybody tried fishing Port Dalhousie salmon with skeine? Any hits using this approach float fishing?

I understand skeine is effective particularly in dirty water. What's your view?

D.F.

I would appreciate comments on the above quote. Also, will brown trout hit salmon skeine?

Thanks,

D.F.

I would appreciate some comments regarding my last question about using skeine for salmon fishing at Port Dalhousie and whether salmon skeine can catch brown trout as well.

Thanks

D.F.

I don't use any kind of roe very much, BUT .....

Although I have not caught many salmon at Port Dalhousie, I have had great success with browns and steelhead. Browns just LOVE 3 inch pink power worms, multi-colored corkies, small glow corkies, and hot pink streamers. Steelhead, I have had the best luck using a white and black streamer with a chrome corkie.

We caught a nice brown today in the harbour , took a live minnow , and a few perch . I tossed a #4 Mepps & an orange/bronze daredevil spoon , but no hits . Two guys in a boat got a few kings using skeen . Water viz is still murky ,clearing up a little from yesterday ,but more rain & wind on the way which will make Erie mud again........Better days ahead...... :D

We caught a nice brown today in the harbour , took a live minnow , and a few perch . I tossed a #4 Mepps & an orange/bronze daredevil spoon , but no hits . Two guys in a boat got a few kings using skeen . Water viz is still murky ,clearing up a little from yesterday ,but more rain & wind on the way which will make Erie mud again........Better days ahead...... :D

did better than me Bill i got white striped did see lots of salmon surface though might be back out saturday morning again.

Anybody check out Port Dalhousie shore fishing today, Friday? Maybe the light rain and damp weather will turn the fish on a bit more. WHat do you think?

D.F. :Gonefishing:

I was out this morning, 4am - 9:30... salmon turned off right around sunrise, 6:45-7am, they were on from 430-530am, had 7 fish on between my friend and I. Only landed 1. Switched to trout around 7, lots of float fishers in there, but no one produced in 2.5 hrs. Me included. I had 2 hits and lost 2 bundles of skeen (although I was barely prepared for trout). Saw some silvery salmon jumping, and some black ones. They are still in there big time. Lots and lots of fish jumping today though. Water is clear compared to the niagara.

Made it down to Port Dalhousie this morning. A few smaller trout caught by others real early in the morning. A few browns around but no salmon caught that I could see. By noon, everyone fishing on the east side had pretty well dispersed. Weekenders fishing west side with families with nothing caught that I could see. Not much happening yet!

D.F. :)

I fished east and west walls at Port Dalhousie today. It sure was cold. I was there for a few hours and didn't see any fish caught. The curent was really fast, not too conducive to float fishing. I'm still optimistic that the salmon willl eventually turn on or a fresher batch will come into the harbor.

D.F.

Archived