What don't you understand

Dan Andrews

Why is it some people just don't get it? When you trespass for the purpose of hunting and fishing you not only make all sportsmen look bad but you cause signage and fencing to be erected. B) I'm not talking about Government property like hydro cuts or businesses like abandoned factory lots. I'm talking about peoples land where they live and farm and let there relatives hunt, hike and ride atv's or horseback.

Now I don't want this to turn into another "look at how pathetic we are" thread BUT if you know someone who trespasses on private property to get that buck or into that honey hole for salmon, TELL THEM TO STOP IT!!!

Niagara is famous for its trespassing problems come shotgun and people are taking notice. Especially the equestrian riders. When will you ignorant men learn that you just can't stroll onto someones property and start firing shots 50 yards from their horses? There's a part of that horse that best describes your brains. This not only causes NO HUNTING signs to go up but it causes animosity between two kinds of naturalists who should be on the same side......... working together. Also you have to confirm your targets species, sex and backdrop BEFORE putting your finger on the trigger. Your not the only one outdoors and you don't have the right to put your finger on the trigger let alone point a gun at someone else or their horse no matter how much it looks like a deer.

Once again I have to go down to the property where the landowner allows me to hunt and post MORE signage!!! BUT this time will be different. Trail cams are coming with me. That combined with the NO TP signs in the picture will surely get a conviction. It is in every ethical hunters best interest to call the tips line on these poachers and to do everything you can to have them busted, have their weapons taken away and have their licences to hunt revoked. By getting these stubborn imbeciles out of the bushes for good combined with an outreach program, we may get some of the signage taken back down.

BTW if you see this sign I made, be sure to smile for the judge because you will be prosecuted.

NoTrespassing.jpg:D

Remember hunting is statistically the safest outdoor activity and the guy who shot that girl in the bright red coat a few years back has been ostracized from our community. He should have been because he was an incompetent idiot and he gives the general public the impression that we're all just a bunch of Elmer Fudds and he put a scar on our records and our reputation as people exercising a safe activity. Trespassers even cause hunters to refuse land use. Lets work together and have these guys locked up :P

Please read the following pdf file about responsible hunting.

http://www.ofah.org/getPDF.cfm?ID=Hunt/ResponsibeHunting.pdf

aren't you concerned that someone who would hunt on private land would also probably love to

have themselves some trail cams?

Hey Cruddler, they'll never get them all. They only have to miss one :)

If they want to add theft to trespassing it will make it an open and shut case B)

Besides there is a consorted effort being put on for the second week of shotgun. Time to trap these idiots and get them out of the fields. Between the three of us who do have permission we should be able to light that place up like a football stadium :P

See here's the thing. We know there is allot of deer bunched up in the area. I'd love to invite a few more hunters as guests. The landowners now turn people away because of this rather than let those who ask politely hunt. I'm finding if they have horses that hunters these poachers have wore out our welcome. It used to be OK to hunt on horse properties but they've been so turned off by the arrogant old school that they're becoming increasingly anti hunting.

One more thing. This hunt is all about deer management and these guys are having more and more No Hunting signs put up. No TP is fine with permission but no Hunting puts us all out of business. Despite my efforts ethics and friendship this is the direction my landowners are thinking of going. It would be a shame if 3 hunters who work hard to hunt ethically can't help the mnr manage the herd any longer because of these ingrates :glare:

Hey Cruddler, they'll never get them all. They only have to miss one :)

If they want to add theft to trespassing it will make it an open and shut case B)

Besides there is a consorted effort being put on for the second week of shotgun. Time to trap these idiots and get them out of the fields. Between the three of us who do have permission we should be able to light that place up like a football stadium :P

See here's the thing. We know there is allot of deer bunched up in the area. I'd love to invite a few more hunters as guests. The landowners now turn people away because of this rather than let those who ask politely hunt. I'm finding if they have horses that hunters these poachers have wore out our welcome. It used to be OK to hunt on horse properties but they've been so turned off by the arrogant old school that they're becoming increasingly anti hunting.

One more thing. This hunt is all about deer management and these guys are having more and more No Hunting signs put up. No TP is fine with permission but no Hunting puts us all out of business. Despite my efforts ethics and friendship this is the direction my landowners are thinking of going. It would be a shame if 3 hunters who work hard to hunt ethically can't help the mnr manage the herd any longer because of these ingrates :glare:

What if they put up really high fines for tresspassing? Im sure nobodys gonna go shooting deer on private property if the fine is set at over $5000 minimum.

Tresspassers either don't know or don't care but if there are a lot of signs saying tresspassers will be fined over $5000 they will know and they will care.

You could set up listening posts so if you start hearing gunshots on your property you can call the police. They are easier to maintain than cameras but they can cover a wider area sound wise.

• 1 year later...

The kid who hunts my old lot now pays $70 for three months for a service that allows his trail cam to send him pictures to his cell phone as they are taken. Not only will trespassers supply there own mug shot but they'll inform a real mean landowner that his trail cam might be getting stolen. :roflblack:

Chili,

I have to debate a few things you posted above.

1) "No Hunting" signs d not put us, as hunters, "out of business" andy more than "NO Trespassing". Take a read off the Trespass to Property Act. The TPA states that "No Trespassing" means just that No trespassing,in other words "get permission before entering" ... While "No Hunting" allows the access to property, without express permission, for any activity other than hunting...It doesn't mean no one can hunt. Anyone with permission of the landowner can still hunt.

This is often misunderstood.

So

"No Trespassing" (or a red circle 4" Dia) means... (without prior consent) No Hunting, No fishing, No walking, No berry picking, No picking mushrooms, no picking your nose, No taking a dump.

"No trespassing" (or a yellow circle 4" dia) means No hunting (without consent) fishing is OK, walking is OK, Berry picking is OK, picking mushrooms is OK, so is picking your nose and taking a dump.

2)The landowner does not have to agree to charges "in front of armed men" other than the police.

Erik - There is much more than $5000 on the line when trespassing for the purpose of hunting. Above being charged under the TPA, they would be charged under the FWCA, with trespassing for the purpose of hunting. Higher charges and a loss of the equipment used in the commision of the offence (confiscated arms, scopes, ammo, stands, trail cams, ATV (if using) truck.......)

FW

FW the police refused to lay charges and would not give up until the landowners agreed to let some guys off with a warning.

You are right about the NO TP though. For a land owner its about the best option.

Whatever happened to knocking on doors and leavving a note with name and number if you didn't get an answer? And how about giving a little meat or spirits to the landowner you shot your deer on?

FW I gave up my Gandi approach to protesting the MNR renting out crown land and locking us out. My land has been cut in half but I can ask the landowner if you can join me. :th_fudd:

Well said Chilli and I hope you catch the bums.

Did my patrol today and didn't see/catch anyone trespassing.

I will be out every day with my cell phone and speed dial for the police and MNR.

Posted many new No Trespassing signs and strung lots of aircraft cable these last few days to try and keep the crop damage to a minimum this year.

It is unfortunate that some people are ignorant and think they can do whatever they want.

OO

FW the police refused to lay charges and would not give up until the landowners agreed to let some guys off with a warning.

You are right about the NO TP though. For a land owner its about the best option.

Whatever happened to knocking on doors and leavving a note with name and number if you didn't get an answer? And how about giving a little meat or spirits to the landowner you shot your deer on?

FW I gave up my Gandi approach to protesting the MNR renting out crown land and locking us out. My land has been cut in half but I can ask the landowner if you can join me. :th_fudd:

Chili,

There's the problem, the police, this issue should really be dealt with by an MNR CO. The police likely wouldn't charge under the FWCA (as they don't know that act very well) they would charge under the TPA (more familiar to them). The landowner has the right to insist on the charges, I don't believe it is the cop's right to refuse to lay the charge. In that case I would escalate to his supervisor...

I'm glad you gave up your silent protest. Send me a PM. I'm still looking for a place (and a partnership) for turkey in the spring (don't hunt deer)...I would be very appreciative. I didn't have much luck hunting for land last spring...One place the guy's daughter was very positive and gave me some very good vibes, but I could never get a hold of her father (busy busy farmer at a busy busy time of year...I have his number and will try again in January) I may even be available to help with coyote control if the landowner needs it.

FW

my sister boards her horse in fort erie, right on the parkway, she was telling me that there are tree stands up, and shes concerned as they ride right by, its private property, its owned by priests actually and they continue to take the stands down, but they go right bak up, well guess whose going to get some free stands.!!!!

Her's a good link to see who has been naughty and was caught.

http://www.mnr.gov.o...L02_164545.html

unbelievable the things people do and think it OK.

I really am surprised at all this BS.I thought it was rare to happen.Guess the people with funny names don't care!

• 2 weeks later...

What I know, if there is a fence, you MUST have permission before crossing. I own a Jeep and other Jeepers would disagree. I agree with coyote control this is what we did in Chatham/Kent as well as providing the farmer with a venison roast. If he had problems with varmits, he new who to call.

PD fat chance and MNR to few CO's to go around

Archived