Hunter Killed

smerchly

This happened about 2 am about 130 km north of Winnipeg . There were 2 hunting parties , all aboriginals who were night hunting for moose on crown land . Apparently , it is legal to night hunt on crown land & other lands , no licence required . I find this a little disturbing for other non aboriginal hunters who might be in the same area waiting for daylight to hunt . If I was awakened in the middle of the night by gun fire , I would likely think poachers are shooting moose or deer , but after reading this , I suppose you can now assume the shots are just aboriginals legally hunting . I believe this is too dangerous to be legal for anyone .......as per article in the Standard.......

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/Article....aspx?e=2252660

Dave , this is not about special status for the First Nation people . I believe they should have this status for fishing & hunting as per the mnr regs. This is about bullets flying at night which could hit any hunter who is legally hunting in the same area . I would not feel safe taking a pee at 3 am if I heard nearby guns blazing near the camp . I wasn't aware that this was legal , and as the article shows, it is dangerous to shoot powerful rifles in the dark hours , you can't see the target unless it's in a spotlight & you don't know who could be behind the target . I am not biased against first nation people , I know some of them personally and they are all exceptionally great people to know . ( and more Canadian too) <_<

If this thread looks in any way to turn into aboriginal bashing , please delete it ....I will be ok with that . Please stick to the issue at hand .....using a firearm after dark on crown land & other land as stated in the paper.

I don't agree with night hunting either. This loss of life was tragic and should not of happened in the first place.

To many accidents in the daylight hours, let alone firing guns at night.

Should be banned.

Really, it is obvious that you shouldn't be out hunting at night, for all the said reasons. Laws or no laws even comon sesnse should tell you that is an extremely risky undertaking. I too don't have a problem with special status, but there has to be a limit when public safety starts to become an issue and then the bigger issue of enforcement of those limits. Playing the special status card in this case is a no go, careless hunting charges should be laid.

Edit: Bashing in this case should be reserved for the enforcement hierarchy if charges are not laid. Careless hunting, shooting another hunter is not a question of special status, identification of your target is the responsibility of any hunter.

i have been on night hunts and I can assure you it goes on here all the time and is perfectly legal.

It is most likely legal but still sounds very unsafe : two hunting parties in the woods who do not know of each other's existance shooting at sounds in the dark.

the orange hunting vests only work if people can see them and unless the area is lit up there is gonna be some problems.

Good point about the vests Eric , they would not be too visible after dark unless they had reflective tape on them when lit up .

Hammer .....I didn't know one can hunt at night here unless a farmer can persue a coyote that was after his animals etc.

Is it possible the aboriginals were hunting after the regular season is closed to us hunters , thereby diminishing the risk to regular hunters ? There may be more to this than we are aware of , but as others have said , it's still dangerous & cost a life . I'm sure the native people will deal with their own safety , they have been hunters for many decades and know what they are doing . We should know what the rules are in this instance for our own good . This happened in Manitoba .......so Ontario might be different .

i have been on night hunts and I can assure you it goes on here all the time and is perfectly legal.

Can you please elaborate on that? The only night hunting I know to be legal is raccoon hunting with a licenced raccoon dog.

IMO this is just stupid and someone got shot. How do you identify your target? Guess I should read up on it.

Spotlights and barking hounds are a little different then jaklighting deer/moose on snowmobiles with several other people both hunters and non on crown property. Whether your doing it on the outskirts of TO or in the wilderness in northern Manitoba, it just sounds stupid and a cheap way to die IMO.

Hounds are not barking when they are on game.

Thank you; I did not know that.

Yes jumping to conclusions and making emotion based statements is a bad idea of which we're all guilty of at one time or another :unsure:

Despite the legal arguments this is a tragedy and it will once again put hunting under a microscope. Personally based on the info given so far I think this is an activity that is designed for accidents to happen and it should not be allowed by anyone because there is too much potential for everyone to get hurt. My mind may change as the facts are exposed.

Despite the legal arguments this is a tragedy and it will once again put hunting under a microscope. Personally based on the info given so far I think this is an activity that is designed for accidents to happen and it should not be allowed by anyone because there is too much potential for everyone to get hurt. My mind may change as the facts are exposed.

Yeah, anyone with an ounce of common sense will see that, not adequately identifying your target and making sure your shooting lane is clear is inexcusable and a clear case of careless hunting and charges should proceed. The fact that it was at night, whether legal or not, just increases the level of due diligence that the hunters must ensure before firing.

What upsets me in this case is that the enforcement hierarchy will not likely proceed with charges seeing the status card is played.

BTW I've held an Ontario Hunter Safety Instructor's Card for over thirty years, it's not something I take lightly.

Status shouldn't be a factor & as Dave said it is a case of careless hunting . As Chilli said , we don't know the full story and haven't heard from the shooter . If it's legal to shine a 10 million candle power spot light on a moose or deer or coyote & shoot at night in certain areas of this country , so be it . More info is needed for sure .

A coyote hunter in Alberta was found dead yesterday a week after he went missing .....still investigating .

Personally, I like to walk out into the bush at night and use a shot gun to fire in an arc around me. If you stop every 20 degrees and shoot you will cover 360 degrees with 17 shots. I then come back in the morning and scout around for what's dead. Works pretty good if your not too particular what you eat.

Personally, I like to walk out into the bush at night and use a shot gun to fire in an arc around me. If you stop every 20 degrees and shoot you will cover 360 degrees with 17 shots. I then come back in the morning and scout around for what's dead. Works pretty good if your not too particular what you eat.

lol :Gonefishing:

Night hunting has to be about the most stupid and dangerous activity I have heard of, regardless if it's legal.

Drive down a country road at night and turn off your lights. Can't see very much can you. Even if your eyes become accustom to the dark, you are still very limited on what you can see.

If one shots at an animal and misses, no one can see whats behind that animal, fifty or so yards away.

This is just asking for an accident. There are probably few accidents due to the fact most hunters won't chance something like this.

And using a high powered light for hunting (don't know if that's legal or not ), I can't see how that's sporting....

deer caught in the lights :Gonefishing:

B)

Archived