Asian carp

hammercarp

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't quite understand the relationship between the shipping and the electric barriers there . Do ships or barges navigate over or through these barriers ? If not ,why can't they be shut down ? Sewage from Chicago is also flowing out of this channel , so it looks like a lot of other factors come into play here . This link has a map on the left which can be opened up to a full page where you can see the carp barrier set up .

http://www.jsonline.com/news/32468089.html

Smerch from what I read barges do go through/over the barrier. There was concern that using a barrier with a higher voltage could kill a man that fell in or that the barges would pick up the charge and an arc could cause a fire

Oh and from the website. abovetopsecret.com comes this quote.

"call me a conspiracy theorist

but i dont believe for a second this was about asian carp

there HAS to be a underlying situation here

i mean really, humans can NOT be that stupid as to do something so ignorant without serious studies on the impact of everything, with any of those studies they wouldve realized what they did wasnt going to achieve the goal of eliminating the carp

things just dont add up

not over one carp "

Here is a good picture of one. I think it is the bighead or the black.

asian-carp.jpg

I think its a bighead because the black carp have larger scales.

It might unfortunatly become a familliar sight soon.

After looking at the map from drsmooth , it looks like they have already spread into a good part of the US. I believe they will enter the lakes and we will have to deal with it .If they eat half their body weight each day and multiply their numbers so rapidly , they should eat themselves to extinction when the food source is gone . ,,,,,wishful thinking :blink:

After looking at the map from drsmooth , it looks like they have already spread into a good part of the US. I believe they will enter the lakes and we will have to deal with it .If they eat half their body weight each day and multiply their numbers so rapidly , they should eat themselves to extinction when the food source is gone . ,,,,,wishful thinking :blink:

I have read reports that this is already happening.

Asian carp will have a huge impact once entering the Great Lakes until things balance out. So has every invasive man has wilfully, or accidentally, introduced.

the list starts with such specie as Common Carp. European Brown Trout, Lamprey. Pacific Salmon (chinook, coho, etc...), white perch, just to name the ones we have gotten used to.

Who knows , these carp might take a liking to eating zebra mussels . Maybe , since they have no stomachs , the sharp edges will shred their innards to pieces .....now that's a pipe dream , but you never know what mother nature might do to correct mans mistakes !

Who knows , these carp might take a liking to eating zebra mussels . Maybe , since they have no stomachs , the sharp edges will shred their innards to pieces .....now that's a pipe dream , but you never know what mother nature might do to correct mans mistakes !

Gobies eat zebra mussels. :huh:

Smerchly all carp don't have stomachs. As a matter of fact carp are minnows and they are in the teleost family and none of them have stomachs. "Beleive it or not."

well alls i can say about these fish, is that they will probably get into canadian waters; and quite frankly if they cause damage, it will only be immediate, and like ugli said, they will adapt and it will be all good.

On a side note, i've seen some japanese videos of guys catching these asian carp. They are big, fight hard. The video i was watching, the guy was using some heavy duty tackle, and they put a healthy bend in the rod. If they fight anything like the common's, id fish for them. Why not? If its good sport, make use of it.

I can't believe the U.S side is not taking this seriously?? When you look at the life cycle of this fish, and what it eats, it's scary. If you look at the baitfish crash that has taken place on Huron and Gbay, that'll be nothing in comparison to these things. If these fish consume that much plankton, what's left for the baitfish?

It's frustrating to know that only one barrier is left separating these carp from the Great Lakes. On top of that, I doubt that one barrier stops small fry from passing through??

Here is a link to some information on the Chicago shipping and sanitary canal. It is interesting to note that the creation of the canal diverted the city of Chicago's sewage from going into Lake Michigan to going into the Mississippi system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Sanitary_and_Ship_Canal

I just learned this about the barrier.

"An historical fact that is often overlooked is that the first electric barrier was not built to keep the Asian carp out of Lake Michigan. It was built to keep the gobies out of the river system. Thanks to the bumbling incompetence of the Army Corps of Engineers, the gobies were past the barrier site before it was built."

what make/model carp is that? any specific threats or just another resource hog?

Carp are like General Motors from 10-20 years ago. One chassis has 15 cars/trucks/vans built on top.

For example; The Cavalier chassis was also used for the Cadillac Cimarron, Buick Skyhawk, Oldsmobile Firenza, Pontiac Sunbird, Vauxhall Cavalier.

The carp in the pictures above appear to be a European carp with the superfly gold pimp package factory installed. The Leather Carp package although not visible from outside populates the lush interior.

The Spinner dorsal and pectoral fins were likely stolen off the fish when at a traffic light. And replaced with standard dorsal and pectoral fins by the owner.

The only lures you'll be using for asian carp is a vibrator on the bottom of your boat and a giant butterfly net. They eat plankton and although spongebob squarepants depicts him as a creature that can be kicked around, the reality is that plankton are smaller than any hook we use. The only other methods I could see for an angler would be the non angling methods such as nets, spears and bows.

Right now the US Government should be dragging nets in the most sensitive areas and having charitable orgs clean these fish and send the meat to Haiti

Archived