Asian carp

hammercarp

The only lures you'll be using for asian carp is a vibrator on the bottom of your boat and a giant butterfly net. They eat plankton and although spongebob squarepants depicts him as a creature that can be kicked around, the reality is that plankton are smaller than any hook we use. The only other methods I could see for an angler would be the non angling methods such as nets, spears and bows.

Right now the US Government should be dragging nets in the most sensitive areas and having charitable orgs clean these fish and send the meat to Haiti

actually i went to this site from taiwan and it said they can be caought much the same was as carp: with doughballs and worms etc.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While looking on the www for info on that Tennessee carp , I found this ........lots of reading ,but tons of info . Anyone for a plate of flying carp wings or carpkabobs ? Recipes included !

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http..._beAY-8NtOYzYIG

Chili.

You can catch filter feeders. You use a combination float/feeder. These things are used in Europe. They are composed of a float with a wire cage attached under it . The baited hook is suspended under it. The cage is loaded with a paste made of fine particles that bleed off into the water. Fish will follow this trail to your baited hook and enhale it. This method is also used for bigmouth buffalo fish in the states. Many states allow snagging so they don't bother to learn to catch fish in this manner. This leads to the belief that they are uncatchable by angling.

Thats great! Its a list of what other species we can anticipate invading our waters. :)

Yup Tommy , don't need any of those phuckets in my bucket ! :D Looking at this realistically , there will be more invasives entering our shores in the future . The world has shrunk and with all the daily trade , we can expect to deal with more invasive plants, animals & fish . These Asian carp should be ok to eat since they eat plankton etc., ....any studies done to check them for toxins ? In a way the king salmon are invasive to L.Ontario and we all know how many of them end up in our stomachs ........not a great food source .

Here's a thought.

Instead of the U.S. government wasting billions in various fanciful endeavours, perhaps they could build a few canneries and process the fish in a spam like product.

Use another factory for cat and dog food.

Have another factory to grind up the fish and dry them, and use it for fertilizer.

The north american market alone would buy up a lot of this stuff.

A lot of the processed fish could also be sent to under developed countires.

The possiblities are endless.

And all the commercial fishing would definitly put a dent in the number of fish.

check this out:

they look like serious scrappers, if they are anything like commons, they look like good sport.

btw, the carp hammer posted is just a koi. Its exactly like a common, except its an ornamental version. Such beautiful fish. I wish these were around in Lake O

check this out:

they look like serious scrappers, if they are anything like commons, they look like good sport.

btw, the carp hammer posted is just a koi. Its exactly like a common, except its an ornamental version. Such beautiful fish. I wish these were around in Lake O

Even though they're big, they jump, and may fight hard....no body should be looking forward to these fish. I hope they find a solution soon.

And there lies our biggest problem <_<

Same thing with the walleye lovers who illegally stock them in lakes up north where they don't belong. Even walleye can be invasive when put where they aren't already present. People who "Love" these fish will put them in ponds or waterways. It's just a matter of time.

Same thing with the walleye lovers who illegally stock them in lakes up north where they don't belong. Even walleye can be invasive when put where they aren't already present. People who "Love" these fish will put them in ponds or waterways. It's just a matter of time.

That's because "man" is so smart. We can do any thing we want without fear of consequece because the real consequences don't take full hold til the next generation. It then becomes somebody elses problem.

Face facts, "man", the species, is only slightly above rats, vultures, crows and coyotes in the animal heirarchy. We are scavengers. We look for easy pickins. We take what we can and then move on. The others critters mentioned are probably smarter because they avoid any real harm to themselves while we walk right into it.

That was my 2 minute brain fart of the day!

I wouldnt stock fish illegeally, if they are there, which i have seen goldfish (in a proper gold color) in lake O [goldfish are not cyprinus carpio's, but kois are]. If those are there, i want proper koi's. They are the exact same fish as commons and mirrors. Gaaad Dmnit!

lol

I wouldnt stock fish illegeally, if they are there, which i have seen goldfish (in a proper gold color) in lake O [goldfish are not cyprinus carpio's, but kois are]. If those are there, i want proper koi's. They are the exact same fish as commons and mirrors. Gaaad Dmnit!

lol

Have you ever been to Japan? If you want to catch exotic fish go where the fish are.

Steeler

I have heard of Koi in the Niagara region. <_<

Releases of koi from those purchased at area garden centers has been happening for some time. Seasonal cottagers along the Erie shore buy new koi every spring and drain the ponds in fall. Some get returned to the garden center ponds at night and some get dumped in local waters. I've seen some decent schools of them swimming the Point Abino marina after ice out.

This is not good.

"This morning, the court released a one-sentence statement saying it would not grant that immediate relief. Since then, a steady string of Michigan officials have expressed frustration. For Cox, the announcement was bitter news"

They also found Asin carp DNA in Lake Michigan itself.

I was also told residents in Fort Erie used to "fish" tropical fish out of the ditch on Helena St. Apparently a tropical fish warehouse if there is such a thing used to dispose of the sick or unwanted fish by simply dumping them in the ditch. That wouldn't be allowed to happen these days.

Here is some interesting information on one of the asian carp , the big head. It shows where they have been found and whether they have managed to establish themselves. You can open interactive maps from this page. It will show that even though some bigheads have been captured in lake Erie they have not established themselves because there are too few for successful spawning.

http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.asp?speciesID=551

Archived