Asian carp

hammercarp

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Latest News

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

No. 10-OPA010

Chicago (Feb. 3, 2010) – U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, on behalf of the Asian Carp Regional Coordinating Committee, will hold a meeting in Chicago on Feb. 12 to discuss plans and get recommendations on Asian carp control efforts. The committee will answer questions and listen to comments from the public. A second meeting will be scheduled in the near future elsewhere in the Great Lakes basin.

Who: Senior representatives from

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency;

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service;

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers;

U.S. Coast Guard;

State of Illinois and other Great Lakes states;

City of Chicago;

Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago;

White House Council on Environmental Quality; and

Scientific experts

When: 3:00 – 6:00 p.m., Friday, Feb. 12

Where: Room 331

Metcalfe Federal Building

77 W. Jackson Blvd., Chicago, Ill.

The meeting also will be available via live web stream at: http://www.epa.gov/greatlakes/live.

Those who cannot attend the meeting in person can submit questions on the Web site.

When available, the framework and a transcript of the meeting will be posted on http://www.asiancarp.org/regionalcoordination. Comments on the framework may also be submitted online at the above Web site.

Coming to your local fish market,.....for cheap!

I seen a news report on these carp and it seems that they are actually good eating. In all parts of the world carp is a normal fish to eat. I wouldn't be suprised if we did see these fish sold for food if they invade that great lakes

• 3 weeks later...

The two countries should be working together.

Just thinking....wonder if there was a way for the scientists

to come up with something to make the fish sterile, without

affecting the other fish in the system.

I would think they should be able to.

• 1 month later...

Well if they got past the barriers and if a miracle happens where they decide to quarantine lake michigan how the **** are they gonna keep them from entering the other lakes? Are they gonna put in a fishway like the one in cootes paradise? I'm betting the U.S. government will no do so in favor of the shipping business and later they will regret their decision but of course it will be too late.

Regrettably, it will probably come down to a situation where the only alternative will be massive doses of rotenone or an "oh well they're here, lets live with them" approach. I'd hate to see that happen, and I certainly wouldn't endorse a plan that included poison, but these fish are scary critters. I've seen similar threads on novascotiafishing.com where the discussion has revolved around the spread of chain pickerel and smallmouth bass into trout and salmon watersheds. It is a contentious issue to be sure, but its an issue that must be dealt with now, not when the only choices are poison or let em be.

A proactive approach is going to be needed....like stocking more predators. I'm sure muskies will love these carp. :Gonefishing:

There's something to be said for that. But there will be opposition to it as well. I've seen discussions on other forums where the idea of stocking tiger trout to deal with invasives has come up. The down-side is that once the crisis has passed what do you do with the predators you've introduced? And don't forget that those predators aren't doing discriminate: they'll go after anything they can catch.

I'm not saying don't do it; rather, I'm saying that not everyone would agree that more predators is the way to go. Add to that the fact that these Asian carp appear to grow quickly and to very large sizes. Even a big musky will likely pass on the larger prey in favor of something more "bite-size." It might be one method, but it will take a multi-faceted approach to deal with this I'm afraid.

As expensive as it might be, perhaps electro-seining would be the safest and most effective approach. Shock them all and sort them out. Maybe they can develop an electrical barrier for the locks in Chicago that would stop migration. But in the meantime, those locks have to be closed until they come up with something.

I've joked about freshwater sharks, but we know that is ridiculous.

Actually, freshwater sharks aren't as far-fetched as you might think. And they don't reproduce in fresh water either:

Fresh Water Sharks

Bull Sharks apparently can survive quite well in fresh water. They can get quite big too:

Nine foot bull shark

Of course, I doubt people would be very keen on that idea either! :Gonefishing:

I believe this method will eradicate those carp ! It might be the only SURE way , but it has other consequences as well .......

this lake's water level is a tad low and this fish (looks like an asian carp) looks like it has been smoked

low%20water.JPG

• 2 months later...
Actually, freshwater sharks aren't as far-fetched as you might think. And they don't reproduce in fresh water either:

Fresh Water Sharks

Bull Sharks apparently can survive quite well in fresh water. They can get quite big too:

Nine foot bull shark

Of course, I doubt people would be very keen on that idea either! :blink:

It's been proven in Australia, that bull sharks can be capable of reproducing in fresh water. But a bull shark born in fresh water can never survive in brackish or salt water.

I read in some book of a lake in oceania on a mountain that contains a bunch of saltwater fish and sharks but the lake is freshwater. Apparently the lake lost the salt in the water after being isolated from the ocean and the fish adapted.

Archived