Martindale Ice Fishing Tournament

live2fish

Here are some problems :

Parking is an issue since the road into the back of Rennie Park is closed due to construction . Timmies parking has signs up for handicapped parking which cuts the few spaces left there. I fished there yesterday & found one spot to park . That leaves parking on the other side of a very busy road to haul gear across & getting permission to use the restaurant parking spots . I parked in the lower Legion parking & it was not ploughed out , only a deep rut to navigate through with no place to park safely . It may be better later if the snow melts away........

There's a liabilty issue ,as was discussed at our club meeting . If someone gets hurt crossing the road etc ., the derby organizers can be held responsible .

I am willing to help but not organize with these road blocks we face this year .

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats the G&F's take on things. Unfortunately when you become a registered org some people will sue ya for anything, even there own stupidity. I've had threats of suits twice already since buying the board a year ago.

No-one says the derby has to be held at that location. Somebody should freshen it up. Talk to Bowen but I doubt he'd object to a change of location. The point was to raise money for a good cause, honour one of our own who has now passed on and get members and anglers together for a fun day of fishing.

Anyone :dunno: . If I recall correctly Bowen threw this together rather quickly and kept it simple. Announce the location, date and entry fee. Make some basic rules and show up. I believe the BBQ came after and none of this was all that complicated and it raised some dough for heart and stroke.

hey guys.

i am the sous chef at the restaurant across from timmies (treadwells) and i am sure i can talk to the owners and allow parking for the day. if someone actually is organizing this let me know the dates asap and i will see what i can do. i have been working there for 4 years and have some pull so it should not be a problem. especially if most the cars are cleared out by 4pm or so. the only downside is ill be wondering how the fishing is while im slaving away in the kitchen cause all these derbies are held on weekends. does noone else have monday-tuesday weekends around here?????????? hahahahahahahahah bastards.

-huge laker

:Gonefishing: I am still interested in helping out if anyone can find a spot to go. Has anyone thought of the Beacon Harbourside Marina. I have seen some ice fishermen out there before and there is lots of parking their. Probably would also need permission from the hotel to do the tournament though. Check it out. Keep me informed. Thanks.

Sonia

Why don't you guys have it in the Rec canal in welland. There is lots of room there and lots of parking. No busy roads to cross. Might be a place to check out.

Thanks Pete , we thought about the rec. & wondered how many people might be interested in driving to Welland . I believe Ontario Rd. to Town Line Rd. would be the best area ,and cars can park all along the road beside the canal .The canal is over 30 ft. deep so proper gear is needed . There's a Timmies about one km. north of Ontario Rd. for coffee & washrooms etc. If there are enough interested people in going there , replies to this thread would be welcome.....

If we have it at the Rec I would be more than willing to help out and fish it, just need a ride too and from there.

:wall: :wall: It's mind boggling to me when something like this comes up like putting a simple derby together and nobody wants to step up and run this thing. IT'S NOT THAT HARD BOY'S. It seams to me that everyone is just sitting back waiting for the regular guy's to step up just to make sure that it happens. So instead of sitting back just put your name in and stand up. all it takes is a bit of balls instead of waiting for some one else and sitting on yours. It would be a shame if this did not happen and the whole idea just gets flushed down the crapper. SHAME SHAME SHAME :( :( ON ALL OF YOU.

A Disgusted Catfish

alright im running this thing, where going to do it at the Rec, since Martindale is a bust, it will be on the last weekend of febuary depending on the weather and what not, it will be for Pike and Perch like usual, for parking see above.

also anyone from st.kitts wanna help me and won't mind giving me a ride there I can get gas money if needed.

so 10 bucks for derby

50% goes to heart and stroke

5 heaviest perch

longest pike

if I forgot anything let me know.

Good on ya for pitching in Joey ......all we need now are some numbers .....people who will come to fish the rec .canal . You know I will help out & if you can't find someone who lives near you , I will leave early & pick you up . I have a digital weigh scale for the perch and a small prize or two for other draws etc . We can "tweek" the perch weigh-in ....e.g., if one big perch weighs 2 lbs :rolleyes:.....and five small perch weigh 1 lb.9 oz. , the big perch wins by weight . ( or 2 or 4 perch weigh more) .

Lets see how many here are intersted ....it's an easy walk to the ice from the car (like 50 feet) . Even if we have 5 or 10 anglers , we can still have a mini derby . The food part can wait until the numbers start rolling in ........ROLL CALL ......:Gonefishing:

Here's a map for those who don't know the rec.canal in Welland ....

Red dot.....Timmies Green dots....from Prince Charles Dr., turn easton Town Line Rd.& north on canal side rd.. Prince Ch.Dr.is the same rd. as Rice Rd.off hwy 20 ............Yellow dot is the old ski ramp where there's a cement outhouse but may be locked up . That spot is a good spot to set up a home base .

Rec%20canal%20ice%20fish.JPG

Thanks for the map Bill, looking at the my Calander, we can do either the 26th or 27th for the derby, I will still a poll to see which day is best, im thinking for time, 8am-1pm with 2pm latest being allowed in.

That's a tonne of ice there Joey. If you get this thing off the ground I'll bring some mini pylons to mark the boundary.

Thanks for stepping up.

That's a tonne of ice there Joey. If you get this thing off the ground I'll bring some mini pylons to mark the boundary.

Thanks for stepping up.

more ice equals more fisherman, which equals more money to H&S

I think it is great that your are going to continue this tournament. I again would like to help out, but I do not know Welland at all and would appreciate some driving directions, or an address in the vicinity of the area we are to fish so I can look up directions.

Is registration going to be at 7:00am??

Thanks for your help.

Sonia :rolleyes:

http://maps.google.c...027874&t=h&z=16

Marker A to Marker B should be boundaries, that is about .5 mile or 700 meters, tell me what you people think.

There is parking along that whole stretch of ice right up to the Ontario St. bridge & some good spots near the bridge . Every angler can be seen from the ski club ramp , so I would suggest using that mile long length of waterway .

Sonia....here is another map showing the way from Ft.Erie to the spot , marked with a red dot . You can take hwy #3 to hwy140 to Netherby (Townline Rd) , or go north on Stevensville Rd. to Netherby . If someone uses these roads please advise the best way traffic wise .

south%20map%20of%20welland.JPG

Joey::clapping: :clapping: :worthy: See guy's it's not all that bad and it didn't hurt at all, Now all you need is the anglers to step up. Come on guy's it's for a great cause. Again :thx: Joey. Catfish

There is parking along that whole stretch of ice right up to the Ontario St. bridge & some good spots near the bridge . Every angler can be seen from the ski club ramp , so I would suggest using that mile long length of waterway .

Sonia....here is another map showing the way from Ft.Erie to the spot , marked with a red dot . You can take hwy #3 to hwy140 to Netherby (Townline Rd) , or go north on Stevensville Rd. to Netherby . If someone uses these roads please advise the best way traffic wise .

south%20map%20of%20welland.JPG

Thanks for the directions, I appreciate it.

Has anyone decided what day it is on?? Sat or Sun??, and registration time yet. Let me know and again thanks.

Sonia

Archived