Spring has arrived.

A friend of mine posted a picture of a turkey vulture today. I usually don't se them until the first week of april.

Also I noticed the flocks of geese have separated into pairs. It will soon be time to build nests.

I think spring has finally sprung :ph34r:

A friend of mine posted a picture of a turkey vulture today. I usually don't se them until the first week of april.

Also I noticed the flocks of geese have separated into pairs. It will soon be time to build nests.

I think spring has finally sprung :ph34r:

I've also noticed turkey vulturs. Other signs of spring I've noticed were robins in the Niagara reigon, though I've seen none here in Hamilton yet. Still awaiting the arrival of the red winged blackbird! Then we're right in there :P

pairingup.jpg

I find it absolutely amazing how all the geese across the region suddenly leave the flock in pairs and instead of being social they fight for space. This seems to happen each year at this time but it seems like it happens over night like someone flipped a switch!

Lets get some pictures posted on this thread relating to sure signs of spring . I know a place near L.Gibson where robins congregate about this time of year . I'll bet the crocus , daffodils & 2lips are already poking through the ground ! :)

Has anyone seen any bald eagles around lately? Believe it or not, I saw my second of the year. A few weeks back a few of us witnessed one fly over us at Martindale. I had one fly over our house ( Vineland) yesterday morning.What an amazing sight! I understand that there is an area in Grimsby around now where they can be seen. Anyone know of this?

There's a rapture society near Grimsby that counts the birds of prey every year . While I was helping a guy move today in Ft.Erie , he told me he saw a bald eagle flying over the Niagara river while driving along the parkway .

Robins have been around for a bit. I saw about a dozen together on a front lawn near where I park for martindale ice about a month ago before the major snowstorm. Thought spring was here then! Geez maybe its that pond doing things to my eyesight!!! LMAO Monster perch and crappie, largemouth galore, bald eagle, and an orange carp while watching my orange jig down the hole. Was afraid to say anything about that one!lol Scared the crap outa me

Some Robins stay all winter, there is a flock also down by Gateway Niagara, there is a field full of wild roses just on the south side of the road there and they feed on the roses pips all winter. See a few Mockingbirds all winter there too. Cedar Waxwings frequent the area as well.

I had a robin stay in a bush right by porch all winter long. Stupid bird didnot want to leave. Little early but decuded to pull the powerwasher out this afternoon and do some spring cleaning, little early the wife said but im sure I will be doing it again in the next little bit

There's a rapture society near Grimsby that counts the birds of prey every year . While I was helping a guy move today in Ft.Erie , he told me he saw a bald eagle flying over the Niagara river while driving along the parkway .

The local "raptor" society holds an annual hawk watch at Beamer Falls park. They used to run a contest in the local spring on the first turkey vulture sighting of the season. NPCA would have more info.

Well , today was a sure sign of spring !! :)

The birds & the bees

And the flowers & the trees

And the sky up above

Are the things they call love (something like that ) :P

And today , the birds & the bees were "basking" in the sunshine ......... :lol:

Two "honey" bees were helping themselves at the bird feeding board today ......is that a sign or what !!

hbees.jpg

I had a look on the grass in the back yard tonight and the dew worms are all over the yard . Tomorrow might hit 50*F . so I will probably gather a couple dozen to try in a few spots for trout , perch & cats . :Gonefishing:

I've had some starlings and a few grackles stay around at my bird feeder all year. I had some red-wing black birds come near the end of February. I'm glad there are more of the colourful birds of the area are returning. I was getting tired of looking at sparrows all the time.

I visited Charles Daley Park to to take in the wild life sighteeing tour today. ......saw my first kingfisher , and saw a killdeer , and the red-winged black birds are making lots of noise . Well , it is now officially spring ! :angry2: I also have a photo which looks like a large turtle emerged from the mud or has deposited some eggs near the shoreline .....will post later on another thread. :D

Archived