What interesting things have you found?

Don't know if this sort of thread has ever been done here, but I've seen it on other forums and its kinda fun.

I wish I had a really good story to start things off, but the best I have is the story of the time I lost a compass while rabbit hunting. Later that day on the way out of the woods (still ticked off at losing a good compass) I stopped to take whiz, but I had to cut things short because on the ground in front of me was a shiny compass! Not mine, but just as good!

A few years ago I was hunting on Crown Land in northern Ontario, in the middle of nowhere, when I came across a big kite snagged in a pine tree. It looked to be an expensive kite, the kind that a hobbiest would buy. I can only speculate at how many kilometres that kite must have travelled. While I'm at it, I can't count how many of those shiny helium birthday balloons I've found in some of the remotest places in Ontario.

Farmers long ago often didn't take their trash to the dump in the days before garbage colllection, but would dump it somewhere on their back forty. There was a time when I would sift through the rusted out cans and find a lot of antique bottles and canning jars from the early 1900's. The old Crown Canning Jars, some with the bluish tinged glass were a staple, they would have a date cast on the bottom. My favourites were the fancy looking bottles of various elixirs and tonics that were available, researching some of them later you find they often were just high proof booze. Farmer Al would have a nice buzz going without his wife suspecting B)

That reminds me of a time I was up north deer hunting and found myself a nice spot, deep in the woods, next to an ancient white pine. When I set my portable stool down on the forest floor, I heard a hollow "clink". There I found, covered by 3 inches of pine needles, and old brown glass mickey (empty). No doubt it was left behind long ago by some deer hunter, likely since deceased. Not surprising, considering my Club has been hunting the same land since 1917, although drinking and hunting is strictly prohibited now!!!

I found a stone hide scraper while deer hunting on my brothers farm. It looks like a stout spear point and for a while that is what I thought it was until I saw a display of native artifacts.

Nice find, i'm always looking for treasure when i'm out hiking/fishing. exploring the lower river between the lower bridge and rainbow bridge was full of surprises. amazes me the sorta stuff ppl throw over that cliff

The old family cottage along pickerel river, we found some old Indian graves, was quite creepy, also hunting in wainfleet some time ago I came across a old rusty hatchet logged into a tree. Thats all i can think of.

Good thread.

I knew a guy back in grade school who was out in the bush near Welland, messing around with his pellet gun, when he found decomposed human remains. I think I recall that foul play was ruled out.

I worry about coming across something like that. Its always us hunters & anglers who find the bodies! B)

When I was a teen, I used to terrorize the blackbirds in the orchards around my home in Pelham with a pellet rifle. One day I came across two Garter Snakes, one was maybe 24" and the other 18", the larger one had tried to devour the smaller one and had it probably halfway or a little better down, but that was a far as he could get it. They were both dead a day or two, smaller one would have suffocated and the digestive system juices probably didn't help and guessing the larger choked to death. Wish I had some kind of camera at the time.

When I was a teen, I used to terrorize the blackbirds in the orchards around my home in Pelham with a pellet rifle. One day I came across two Garter Snakes, one was maybe 24" and the other 18", the larger one had tried to devour the smaller one and had it probably halfway or a little better down, but that was a far as he could get it. They were both dead a day or two, smaller one would have suffocated and the digestive system juices probably didn't help and guessing the larger choked to death. Wish I had some kind of camera at the time.

Thats unusual for garters. more common with milk snakes whom will often eat smaller snakes than themselves. Interesting find indeed

What haven't I found. Old bottles, bones and crockware, knives, fishing rods, lures, a full 6-pack.

My most unusual find was in Toronto in the late 70's walking a branch of the upper Don in the middle of a cemetary. Just off the path, (remember this is a public cemetary) in the bushes, is a young fella give his all to a sweet young thing. I never saw a man run so fast with his trousers wrapped around his ankles B)

Walking down the incline to the ice today with Bruce I found a quarter ! A few more steps & I saw 2 more quarters , and Bruce saw another 2 more !! As the snow melts you never know what you might find on the fishing trails . Keep an eye for lost goodies from the ice fishing days ..... B)

Come to think of it part of this thread should say..."things we have reeled in " a chair, a fishing net, fishing rod, tires, numerous lures stuck on branches. Gm gate 12 i reeled in a large stuffed animal(bear).

Never found anything too crazy, some live shells people have dropped, found a goose band one time. Tons of old bottles, most of em are still just laying there! Found a hatchet one time, still got that kicken around somewhere. A couple years back my buddy was shooting at a deer, some how managed to get 7 shots off, he told me to go back and get his empties.... I found the 7 empties, 3 full slugs, a scent bomb bottle and his compass. Guess in all the confusion he was scrambling through pockets and managed to lay out a garage sale in the process :)

Ive found the ruins/foundations of many abandoned houses some were ruined by hurricane hazel and so all the contents of the house were scattered around including a washboard and some really nice glassware.

I'd like to visit an old bottle dump some day that would be pretty cool.

Also when i was fishing in arnprior i snagged a line at the bottom of the river and pulled it up and it had a huge mepps spinner then i realized that there was a line snagged on that lure and i pulled up a glow-in-the-dark mister twister complete with jighead.

Back in Nova Scotia I used to hunt and fish in an area that was once a mining community, long since abandoned. During a nasty cloudburst I ducked into a dilapidated old shack to find a Model T under a rodent-eaten tarp.

While landing a fish a couple of years ago I also snagged into something else?. I lost the fish but caught a custom, G-Loomis float rod and pen reel. The reel was thrashed but I use the rod.

Funny, the person who witnessed the rod get pulled to the depths by a large fish a few years pior also witnessed me retrieve it!

Back in Nova Scotia I used to hunt and fish in an area that was once a mining community, long since abandoned. During a nasty cloudburst I ducked into a dilapidated old shack to find a Model T under a rodent-eaten tarp.

cool was it in good condition? ive heard of smugglers during the prohibition burying an extra motor for their cars on beaches on the great lakes.

While landing a fish a couple of years ago I also snagged into something else?. I lost the fish but caught a custom, G-Loomis float rod and pen reel. The reel was thrashed but I use the rod.

Funny, the person who witnessed the rod get pulled to the depths by a large fish a few years pior also witnessed me retrieve it!

:lol:

Lorne told me about that one if its the one im thinking off

the strangest thing I have found was a duck bone that was recently but too top that me and a buddy were using a metal detector on a beach some were and found a license plate from mid 1910's or some were around then

cool was it in good condition? ive heard of smugglers during the prohibition burying an extra motor for their cars on beaches on the great lakes.

Th "T" was in pretty bad shape, unfortunately not worth salvaging. It had been sitting there in that shack for at least 60 years. But it was a pretty neat find.

Th "T" was in pretty bad shape, unfortunately not worth salvaging. It had been sitting there in that shack for at least 60 years. But it was a pretty neat find.

your right still very cool!

Roughly 10 yrs ago down at the whirlpol one night fishing salmon a home made raft came floating upon us.Was made of 6(or so)logs 10 ft. long ,each one roughly 2 ft. in diameter.Tied together with rope which had to be 1 in. in diameter.On it was 2 tennis balls & a orange mylec ball.It beached itself for a few minutes close to where we were fishing .Was very sturdy.Kind of odd seeing it down there.Still wonder where it could have came from.Wish I would have had a camera back then.Take care

My favourites were the fancy looking bottles of various elixirs and tonics that were available, researching some of them later you find they often were just high proof booze. Farmer Al would have a nice buzz going without his wife suspecting :worthy:

It was probably the "sickly" farmers wife who was buzzed :D

I have found rafts under the train bridge in Fort Erie also but they were not well built!

Archived